Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How to Progress the Game?

Move onto the Next Day and Begin Classes.
- 14 (33.3%)
Introduce NPCs to Socialize with.
- 10 (23.8%)
Some Other Idea (which I'll undoubtedly inform you all about).
- 7 (16.7%)
I just selected this option because it existed.
- 11 (26.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 210

Author Topic: Red Moons Academy - There Will Be Blood(y Text) - [OOC THREAD]  (Read 143254 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Red Moons Academy - Supernatural Highschool RP - [OOC THREAD]
« Reply #1155 on: December 26, 2015, 10:28:03 pm »

... No.
We went over this.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 26, 2015, 10:29:04 pm »

...You realize that the comparison has been brought up in-character, right? It's also close to that one character from Assassination Classroom, with the bit where it projects an anime character.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 26, 2015, 10:29:41 pm »

I'm going to need someone to translate all of that for me.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 26, 2015, 10:30:36 pm »

I'm going to need someone to translate all of that for me.
Bluex brought up something that Hana already had.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 26, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »

Is it possible to have an ability that prevents the user from taking damage from basic attacks? I'm not planning on giving Kendall that, just wondering whether I need to give up a slot to make his attacks bypass such effects.

Well, you can negate incoming damage through a variety of ways but they all involve expending dice. Some spirits and stuff will have passive Skills which ignore physical damage too. As such, if you're worried that Kendall's attacks will be negated all the time, give him a Skill to counter those kinds of abilities. Otherwise, invest it in something else you think that he might need.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 26, 2015, 10:43:40 pm »

Well, here's my first draft for his skills then. And yeah, I ended up giving him mostly skills that reflect "human who is skilled in the German school of fencing" (because apparently you can't really find any manuals for claymore usage, but the German style can be used with a few modifications) instead of "human with claymore-themed magic".

And yes, Meisterhauw and Parry are meant to use roll result before damage calculation, not net damage and absorbed damage. Since it's meant to represent him forcing his foe into a disadvantageous position even if they are managing to block all his blows and fight back while ensuring that his own stance and blade position protect him.
  • Overwhelming Offense (Passive): Adds +1 to any dice rolled for the purposes of dealing damage.
  • Aggressive (Passive): Add 2d6 to the Dice Pool. These dice can only be used for Basic Attacks.
  • Meisterhauw (Passive): Basic Attack grants additional dice to Basic Defense for this turn in proportion to the roll result. ((Needs to have a rate assigned.))
  • Parry (Passive): Basic Defense shrinks the opponent's pool size for the following turn in proportion to the roll result. ((Needs to have a rate assigned.))
  • Conceptual Weapon (Passive): This character's attacks ignore any effects that passively reduce/negate/reflect damage.
  • Exhaust (Free Action): Add dice to an action/reaction at the cost of HP. Each die costs 5 HP. The quantity of dice added by this cannot exceed the quantity of regular dice invested.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 10:54:05 pm by Empiricist »

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 26, 2015, 11:13:02 pm »

Star Was Episode VII: The TRAITOR Awakens
Black lives matter.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 26, 2015, 11:13:57 pm »

Very much so.
Sigtext

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 26, 2015, 11:14:55 pm »

good meme, 8/10
Black lives matter.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 26, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »

-snip-

Looks excellent to me, honestly.

Let's say that Meisterhauw adds bonus defence dice at a rate of 6 to 1 with the unmodified roll for Basic Attacks. That's before any bonuses or negatives are applied to the result like you wanted. So a result of 6 would give you an extra d6 on defence, 12 gives 2d6, and so on. If you want bonuses to apply to effects of Meisterhauw (like Overwelming Offense adding +1 to the damage roll), then the rate would have to be bumped up to 9 to 1.

As for Parry, the rate would have to be 9 to 1, or 12 to 1 if you want to include buffs. Reducing the enemy's Dice Pool is a more powerful effect than adding extra defensive die after all. They can be used for more than just reducing incoming damage.

Does that sound acceptable to you?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: December 26, 2015, 11:45:18 pm »

If you want bonuses to apply to effects of Meisterhauw (like Overwelming Offense adding +1 to the damage roll), then the rate would have to be bumped up to 9 to 1.
As in numerical bonuses such as a +1? Or all bonuses including bonus dice?

As for Parry, the rate would have to be 9 to 1, or 12 to 1 if you want to include buffs. Reducing the enemy's Dice Pool is a more powerful effect than adding extra defensive die after all. They can be used for more than just reducing incoming damage.
Would the rate be different if they instead added bonus Basic Attack dice for the next turn?

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: December 26, 2015, 11:49:06 pm »

the combat functions that SERAS mentions is actually a fuckton of armor

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: December 26, 2015, 11:54:42 pm »

All bonuses. However the bonus Attack Dice are counted either way since they are just more dice to roll, if that influences your decision. Also, adding extra Attack Dice would use the same rates as the Defence Dice. So 6 to 1 sans buffs or 9 to 1 with them.

Yes, I'm fully aware that you could setup your character so that they gain more and more Bonus Dice each turn. However that would also require a ton of buffs that must be lavished upon them and enough time for the number of dice to swell beyond containable proportions. In other words, you'd have certainly earned the right to enjoy that kind of situation.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: December 27, 2015, 12:06:31 am »

Yeah, I figure that, while he would be able to start a viscous cycle wherein he just presses his advantage and crushes his foe eventually, he'd be taking and dealing enough damage that it'd be over one way or another before it ever gets to that point.

Okay, firstly, I take it that I can't just swap out Overwhelming Offense for something that just gives him even more dice like a renamed Fusion Reactor right? Nor can I give him something that adds 2 dice that can only be used for Basic Defense, right? And I'd also presume that he can't just take Aggressive a second time, lest someone create a character who just takes it six times and begins the fight by immediately smacking people with an all-or-nothing 18d6, right?

What are more common? Buffs that grant bonuses? Or buffs that add dice?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 210