Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: labor problems.  (Read 490 times)

njolma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
labor problems.
« on: December 20, 2015, 11:14:49 pm »

so I have a terrible habbit. The first few caravans to come visit always end up with there Depot being unconstructed under them. this gives my fortress a fast start and much needed weapons for weapon traps early in the game. The problem i keep running into is that my dwarves end up with nearly endless hauling tasks to do and it basically never getting done. How do you folks manage these issues? 

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: labor problems.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:16:12 am »

Typically i avoid this by not exploiting the fact that you can deconstruct depots to steal their stuff. Works well.

If you insist on being a highwayman, a no good dirty rotten bandit (on your own civilization too, you cad!), dump magma on your depot first. Melts at least half the stuff so you dont have to haul it!
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 02:51:48 am »

If I were to steal the stuff, which I don't, I'd build a quantum stockpile right next to the crime scene and place an "everything in here" (except refuse and corpses) stockpile with "take from links only" over the spilled mess to feed the QS. I'd then have the QS feed dedicated feeder stockpiles to my real QS', so most of the junk stays right beside the crime scene, while the useful stuff is forwarded. I'd then build an new robbery station beside the previous, destroyed, one and remove the stockpile covering the site when empty and then alternate.

As I said, not my style either "morally" or play difficulty wise, but the beauty of DF is that you play it the way you want (but have you tried Highway Robbers Anonymous ;) ).

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:24:13 am »

Forbid all the stuff you "gained" by mass forbidding (d->b->f). Go to the stock menu (z->stock) and unforbid all the stuff you find worth while. A book keeper is required in order to pull it off properly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 06:26:54 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!