Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Great games for tablet..?  (Read 5587 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Great games for tablet..?
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 05:24:40 pm »

JRPGs are alright for emulation. I had plenty of fun playing Pokemon Red and Pokemon Crystal on my phone, no reason why a lot of other turn-based RPGs wouldn't be fine.

I had fun with Hearthstone on Android, although I haven't played it in a while so I don't know what the metagame is like now. Maybe check out other CCGs?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 06:59:55 pm »

Zombie Solitaire is pretty good.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 07:54:39 pm »

Liberal Crime Squad has an android port.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 09:38:40 pm »

not really a game but there is Neko Atsume a cat collecting thingy
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 09:09:31 am »

Conquest of Elysium
Battle for Wesnoth
King of Dragon Pass
Scrolls (a card game by Mojang)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 07:19:07 am »

Neko Atsume seems right up my alley but it doesn't appear to work right with Bluestacks. Text pop-ups have no background and are hard to read, and I don't see any objects when I place them in the yard. I think the tutorial sent me a cat? but I don't see that, either (and yeah I restarted the app). Oh well.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 03:34:04 pm »

FTL and Shattered Planet work kind of ok.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 04:48:27 pm »

Always King of Dragon Pass

The only other ones I can mention are freemium that ain't hardcore pay-to-win.  They do get to the point of grindy though, which probably is more akin to pay-to-fun or something, dunno, I've already stopped coming back to them.

EDIT: Stuff from Kairosoft, they do management type games.  They have demos.  The writing is pretty lame though.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:10:13 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »

Kairosoft stuff is heavily Japanese and tends to be ripped off of a "flavor of the month" topic, but despite that, they can be fun. Their Game Dev Tycoon clone is decent mobile version of the PC game.

At some point I had a half-way decent port of Carmageddon on my tablet. I never really adapted to action game controls on a tablet, but I managed to do okay with this one.

Also the New XCOM port for Android was very well done. Still very nice looking and it's the full game as you'd play it on the PC, just with the visuals toned down slightly and the controls slightly modified for touch.

If you prefer OldCom, OpenXCom has a very well done Android port as well. Other than a few mis-touches when trying to move soldiers, it works out pretty damn well. Old Dos GUI works great for touch screens.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 12:29:21 am »

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone, time to get another memory card I guess.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 10:15:43 am »

Oh yeah, Kairosoft are my favourite mobile devs so far. I completed Dungeon Village and Cafeteria Nippon and would highly recommend both if you like management/town games. :)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2016, 06:04:38 pm »

Angel Stone isn't bad if you want a fairly simplified version of Diablo with a bit of online/community stuff. It's not quite at the simplicity level of a cow clicker, but does have a bit of grind in it like all Diablo-style games. Fortunately they've simplified that a lot, with blitz tokens (buy lots of permanent ones early on) and even auto-play for when you're just burning off resources or leveling on earlier stages. So far I haven't found it to be p2w, and have a lvl40 build within 5 days of playing that will more-or-less see me through the rest of the game. It does have a stamina system, but it's pretty lax on what restraints it gives you. You can play on PC under Facebook if that's your thing. It does make it way easier simply due to responsiveness and hotkeys/mouse control.

Superior Tactics RTS is also pretty fun in its earlier stages. It's a 2d side-on real time space game, where you construct a fleet with various weapon/shield/utility layouts and take on a bunch of different challenges in missions. It ends up as a shit-heap leader board grind in pvp if that's what you want to do, but it's not too bad up until that point. Has some FPS issues, but mostly in pvp or BIG skirmishes. It has the underlying basics of being a great game, but only ended up as average/good in its current form. Not p2w at all, though there are options for it, it just speeds things up a tiny bit and would be a waste of money. Ad supported, but just close them at start of mission and you've got a free game that's actually pretty good until the pvp part.

There's a free version of HoMM2 called FreeHeroes2 out there that works pretty well, and a version of HoMM3 called VCMI as well. HoMM2 works reasonable well, but combat positioning can be tricky. "Kind of" needs a copy of the full game, but it can get by on free demo-disk resources if you don't mind losing a few options (the game happily downloads these for free for you). There's always GOG or abandonware for the full version and expansions (I do own a legitimate copy, but the disks are broken. And it's quicker to d/l off the net these days anyway).

FreeCiv is good. Just like Civilization 1 or 2, but free. Pretty simple to use interface, but takes a little bit of time to work out the terrain improvement icons. But if you want Civ, here you have it. A fair few scenarios included as well. Starting with an explorer is a work of genius to speed up the early boring bits.

The two best games for mobile IMO are the NES versions of Pirates! and M.U.L.E. They're great. Download an emulator (Nostalgia.NES is free) and play until your heart's content. NES controls work pretty well on touch screens, both games have very simple menu systems that are quick to use, and both are great games in their own right. Not too reflex orientated, even while being RT. Can be a bit repetitive, but with emulator save/load, they're great for lunch breaks and still very replayable to this day.

On the emulation front for something that you might not consider, some sports games work surprisingly well on touch screen. Here's a few that I've tried and the system they're from, or the best versions of them IMO: California Games (SMS and Genesis), Madden '97 (SNES), PGA Tour 95/96/97 (SNES), Brutal Sports Football (Genesis), Madden 2001 (PSX, using RetroArch emulator, 3D graphics!), Tiger Woods Golf 2001 (Gameboy Advance/RetroArch), Tekken 3 (PSX/Retroarch, it's a slightly slower fighting game).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:29:13 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2016, 08:54:17 pm »

Oh, and another honourable mention for Android. Magic Dosbox.

This will be the first thing I've ever paid a cent for on Android. It's a bit fiddly to get used to how to set up extra buttons, but it's ultra-customizable and plays a wide range of old Dos games pretty damn well.

SC2000 is fiddly as hell under normal Dosbox. This runs it fine with a long-click control for all the construction options.

Right-click doesn't work off the volume buttons on your tablet (or they're inconveniently positioned)? Problem solved. Make a right click button on your touch screen.

The unpaid version only lets you set up one program at a time, and set of options for it, but it's one of the few Dosbox shells that's been able to get any game I want to be functionally playable on a touch screen. And on a phone screen at that.

Try out the free version, work out the controls, and enjoy. You actually can play win3x/win95/98 games on it with enough processing grunt to emulate them. All due to right click and long-click buttons that you can put wherever you want. Plus keyboard hotkey touch buttons that you can setup for any game.

It's that good that I actually might buy it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:58:39 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 09:03:24 pm »

I've heard good things about the game Devil's Attorney.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 12:52:02 am »

Cytus is a pretty great rhythm game for tablet, and there are also some good Osu!simulators for Android at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3