Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Fuck dwarves.  (Read 5739 times)

Eruonen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck dwarves.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 03:49:00 am »

It's possible.
Make a new race called "Dwarven slave" and take away the [BUTCHERABLE_NONSTANDARD] and the intelligent creature tag.
There's also a tag to make them come with you at the start of your journey.
quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG># Elves will trade with goblins. Who knew?</STRONG>

I'm not surprised. Damn elves.

[ January 30, 2008: Message edited by: Eruonen ]

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 05:06:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>They will most likely eat seafood.  Anything that bleeds, essentially.

An what do you mean you can't farm muck roots?    I've had thriving farms with rat weed and bloated tubers, you just need to grab the first sample from the wilderness, the rest you can farm.

</STRONG>

How do you farm bloated tubers and muck roots? They don't have seeds or spawn.
What mod do you use?

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:00 am »

No mod, they provide seeds.  At least I think they do, I thought I remembered growing a little plot of bloated tubers and remembering that they looked a bit like sweet pods, just a different color.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:00 pm »

Interesting. Now I really want a goblin fort. Do sieges happen, and if so what species comes?
Check out my books at O and H Books

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

My custom race I play has the Carnivore tag as well.  Early game I get the most food from fishing, then once I start getting useless migrants I give them a bone crossbow a few bolts and tell them to go hunting.

If they die, one less mouth to feed, if they succeed they start bringing in somewhat large amounts of food until they get hurt.  If I got good food stores I make them off duty crossbow military to train up in the archery range before I send them off hunting.  It also helps to have traders bring every hunk of meat they have access to.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG>...so my off-duty goblins...</STRONG>

That's so going to end badly.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>

That's so going to end badly.</STRONG>

Yet strangley hilarious!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gigalith:
<STRONG>Interesting. Now I really want a goblin fort. Do sieges happen, and if so what species comes?</STRONG>

I don't know yet. I get goblin traders instead of dwarves, and haven't seen a single dwarf or human yet. Elves have come to trade, and are getting pretty pissed off with me stealing most of their stuff (it's very satisfying stealing their "pets" and butchering them for meat), so hopefully they will come in force soon.
My walls and moat are completed, and I have a drawbridge (although there's no lever linked to it at the moment. must get around to that soon). One building inside the castle is finished, a large two-storey obsidian food store & dining hall (with butchers' shops and chained groundhogs underground). Magma smelters & forge are running nicely a little deeper underground, but unfortunately the only metal I've found so far is copper. Current architectural project is putting towers on the four corners, and walkable fortified battlements all the way around, so that when I have a good force of marksgoblins I'll be able to keep siegers at bay with ease.
Food is still a huge problem, I've run out of meat again and a lot of goblins are hungry. Goblin traders should be coming soon, and I have hunters patrolling for wild horses, so I should just about squeak by, but about five goblins starved to death last year and I think more will this year.
The funny thing about playing as goblins is it's a lot easier to not get attached to them, compared to dwarves. If I were facing the prospect of a dozen dwarves starving I'd feel bad, but these? Meh, they're only goblins. Die in service, for the glory of Witchwalls!

Speaking of which, a large immigrant wave has just arrived, and my population is far too high for me to feed. The volcano god demands sacrifice.

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 11:26:00 pm »

Ahem: Playable goblins

Me and metal chao worked a lot of this out. Much is posted, and there are some pre-modded downloadable raws to play with.

I added one plant for goblins for them to brew (it's still inedible) and let them take trolls, beak dogs and giant guinea pigs with them. you might want to increase the guinea pig lifespan though.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

Behold the glory of Witchwalls!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2014-witchwalls

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

I am so modding in an diff race. Playable kobolds for all?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 11:57:00 pm »

Huh, not quite what I was expecting.  I was thinking more along the lines of Sauron's tower in the LoTR series (Barad Dur?  I don't remember), a giant obsidian tower that housed everything.

For the starting sleeping/eating/other necessity areas I'd have little underground pockets dug into the dirt, with one stairway or ramp connecting it to the surface.  It seemed appropriate, somehow.

However, I'd probably just give up long before I'd even completed the second floor of the thing.  That kind of patience is a little beyond me at the moment.  

Looks nice, hope you get a sustainable source of meat set up soon.

I wonder...  Do cooked meals count as meat?  If they require even just one meat ingredient, you might be able to "trick" the goblins into eating some veggies by lumping everything together.  This might help out your food stocks.

However, you probably don't get access to food long enough to make anything out of it before it's gobbled up by the goblins.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 12:16:00 am »

Why not ZOMBIE Goblin Fortress?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Quintin Stone

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Bureaucrat
    • View Profile
    • RPS
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Huh, not quite what I was expecting.  I was thinking more along the lines of Sauron's tower in the LoTR series (Barad Dur?  I don't remember), a giant obsidian tower that housed everything.</STRONG>

How about Isengard?

[ January 31, 2008: Message edited by: Quintin Stone ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 01:29:00 pm »

I'm currently making a Dark Elf fort (mostly just evil renamed elves), and I have noticed something strange. Skeletal creatures do not attack them - and vice versa. While you'd think it would be good, it can backfire REAL quick. I was playing on a terrifying site, and a short while after I started, a whole platoon (15 or so) of skeletal rhesus macaques scurried through my camp and right past my good-for-nothing patrol swordsman, into the wagon that I hadn't even time to unload, and made off with about 45 units of food and some 20 or so booze, plus a shovel and some steel arrows. Not even one of the d.elves so much as tried to stop, or in fact even attempted to notice the incursion. The fort survived, only to be flooded by a "U-Tubed" well design.
The only survivors of the flood were the swordsman, the broker, and the carpenter who rested in their rooms, the two elven traders and their donkeys (all melancholy) locked in the depot, and the herbalist who was grass-gathering outside. The people in their rooms eventually died, either because they were thirsty and tried to drink, leaving the room, or because someone (a pet jaguar, in the case of the carpenter) opened the door to the room in search of dry ground. The traders starved to death, and the only ones alive in the fortress were the herbalist, and one of the stray cats that was loitering in the food stockpile. Not wanting to just "abandon", I suicided the herbalist by having him dismantle the base of the huge watchtower built above the fort entrance, and be crushed by it. So much for my first darkelven fort.
Now I've taken 40 bauxite blocks (to contain even magma if the need arises) and built a wall around my starting wagon, to prevent any critters from stealing anything again. So far the second fort is doing alright...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4