Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Fuck dwarves.  (Read 5740 times)

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fuck dwarves.
« on: January 29, 2008, 03:25:00 am »

Goblin Fortress is way more fun.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

But difficult to set up properly.  I had to abandon my goblin fort because nobody could farm, I couldn't bring along any breeding livestock, and the hunter I sent out got destroyed by a wild horse.

Athmos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:06:00 am »

If i may, i'd rather have women. Personal preference matter of course.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 05:03:00 am »

Human women at that.  Beards can be a bit tickly...

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »

Ok, so at the beginning of my second summer I have an almost-finished obsidian block wall around a fairly large area including a large magma vent, which I have used to make a moat of firey doom. It will eventually become the greatest goblin castle ever.

My findings:

# Goblins are carnivorous. This I did not know. They will starve to death rather than eat vegetables. This is causing serious problems, because I have practically no source of meat. When I worked this out I trapped some groundhogs to breed, but this is hardly an ideal solution because the pups take a while to grow up, and grown groundhogs give a measly 2 meat when slaughtered. Goblins do, however, eat bones, and not just when they're starving, either. I haven't yet worked out if this actually provides nourishment for them, or if it's just something they do for a lark. If the former, that'll help with food issues a lot, but it will make it difficult to provide bone bolts.

# Dwarves are pansies. Goblins are hardcore. When they see a kobold thief, they don't run away like cowardly dwarves, they charge it en masse and kick the hell out of it.

# When you have a nicely dug out fortress to hide in, kobold archer bands are not a problem. When your only defence is your not-yet completed obsidian block wall, you may be in trouble. 3 goblins got shot to death, the rest of the population got conscripted, and charged and beat the kobolds to death barehanded.

# Bringing two proficient masons means you can put block walls up pretty quickly.

# Elves will trade with goblins. Who knew?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:25:00 pm »

Sounds awesome mate!  And yeah, that meat thing can be a bit tricky.  As I pointed out in my first post.

And yes, eating bones will provide them with nourishment.  However, this extra food has a price, as they may choke to death on one.

I tried setting up domesticated animals for goblins, but it never worked out.  I wanted to add the ability to bring and breed trolls (and give them that special dog training tag so I could have war trolls) for defence and pets, and giant rats for a source of meat.

However, for a quick fix, just give them the creature tags the other humanoids have so they can bring along muskoxen.  Those seem slightly more goblin-ish than horses or cows.

EDIT:  Oh yeah, one more thing.  Goblins drink water.  They will not drink booze, even if you had any.

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>EDIT:  Oh yeah, one more thing.  Goblins drink water.  They will not drink booze, even if you had any.

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]</STRONG>

There is no fresh water on my map (salt water area). The goblins are drinking whip wine just fine. Maybe they just hate dwarven booze?   :)
By the way, you can bring trolls, it just depends on whether or not the goblin civilization your guys come from have access to them. Best of all, they cost a grand total of one point  :(

[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Furious Fish ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:00 pm »

Huh, that's odd.  Supposedly, the alcohol dependency tag is what makes a creature drink booze, and goblins don't have that...

Whatever the case, throw out those icky whip vines!  Get some good, goblin rat weed!  Sewer brew is so much more appropriate than whip wine.

Or perhaps swamp root, or bloated tubers!  If you're on an evil map, you absolutely have to have some gutter cruor (forget the exact name of the plant, but it's also used to make black dye, an essential for any goblin fort).

This is fun, and I'm not even playing it!  Don't you love those personality profiles the goblins have?

EDIT:  I think you have to edit the troll profile in order for them to breed.  Otherwise, they won't reproduce, and you'll have the number you first brought along.  I don't know if you can buy more from the traders, though...

And you can just select the same civ to come from so you get trolls.  Doesn't matter where you are on the map, you can manually select which one you want.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »

Alcohol dependency is probably what makes dwarves slow down without booze. I'd guess that other creatures just get happy thoughts from drinking, rather than more or less being being required to drink.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

Maybe they go the other way, and become slower and less efficient the more booze they drink...

Seems reasonable, but I hope it's not the case.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 10:47:00 pm »

Let's be prepared for Armok to come and say kobolds are better than everything else.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »

Kobolds sit around in caves scratching their loincloth-covered butts with copper daggers and exploiting the ranged weapon overpoweredness.  Goblins build massive dark towers, breed trolls and beak dogs, and send wave after wave of cannon fodder to be squished and splattered in a myriad of lovely ways.

I'm gonna have to say goblins -> kobolds.  Sorry, but that's just the way I feel.  Heck, even my forum name is in goblintongue.

EDIT:  Not to say I don't like kobolds, mind you.  They were some of my favorite critters in the later D&D games, until they turned into those weird lizard-thingies.

I love kobolds, it's just that I love goblins more.

Fenrir

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

I hope that Army Arc will allow our Goblin Fortresses to send out snatchers and our Kobold Fortresses to send out thieves to get captives and loot!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »

We can always hope...

Speaking of which, what would we do with the children, provided any snatchers are successful?  Train them at the kennels into war dwarves?  Their bites are certainly strong enough.

And what of the loot kobolds bring back?  They can't wear any of the stuff...  What would they pick up that might actually be useful?

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2008, 11:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Whatever the case, throw out those icky whip vines!  Get some good, goblin rat weed!  Sewer brew is so much more appropriate than whip wine.

Or perhaps swamp root, or bloated tubers!  If you're on an evil map, you absolutely have to have some gutter cruor (forget the exact name of the plant, but it's also used to make black dye, an essential for any goblin fort).[ January 29, 2008: Message edited by: Kagus ]</STRONG>

Yeah, I was planning to use just muck root (that's what makes Swamp Whiskey, right?) but you can't farm that, just wild strawberries, prickle berries, whip vines, and longland grass, IIRC. The rest you have to gather from herb bushes, which I can't be bothered with. I have to admit the thought of goblins drinking wine is a little odd  ;) Maybe I'll find a chasm, and milk purring maggots to make cheese.
Oh god. French goblins. What have I done?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4