Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Kuwait Airlines scraps all flights between New York and London, because no Israe  (Read 5659 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

In a reaction to the US Authorities threatening with a lawsuit, Kuwait Airlines has decided to scrap all flights between New York and London.

Reason for the lawsuit is the complaint of an Israelian citizen, Eldad Gadd. This person tried to book a flight to the US with Kuwait Airlines in 2013, but when he wanted to complete the transaction, he found out that the Kuwait Airlines booking software does not accept "Israelian Nationality". So he was unable to complete the transaction and book a flight.

After he filed a complaint with the international airspace authorities, the American Department of Transportation asked Kuwait to rectify this.
The reaction by Kuwait was "in our country, it is forbidden by law to do business with jews".

The US Authority responded by saying this was inacceptable, and that any airline company that wishes to operate in the US, will have to know that the US does not tolerate any form of discrimination in their airspace.

They gave the Kuwait ailiner 15 days to respond, and and alter their policy, or they would face criminal charges.

The Kuwait response was to scrap all flights from New York to London.

We should have let Saddam Hussein keep Kuwait back in the days  >:(
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:53:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

What. Why would... ah screw it. This is why Arabs can't have nice things.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

Stupidity like this is why the arab world went from the pinnacle of educational enlightenment, to a backwater where education goes to die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Well, if you count regions that were mostly non-arab and non-muslim at the time as the "arab world", just because they were tiled by Arabs, I guess.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Morbid cynicism, but it gets results. That's humanity for you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

There's something grimly hilarious about this when the states have major politicians calling for a complete ban of muslims entering the nation, and have a history of fairly complete travel sanctions regarding other countries *coughcubacough*. I guess it's only a problem when other nations do it :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not thee same thing.

A person from Cuba can still enter the US, just not directly from Cuba. (they can enter via Venuzela, or Brazil, or any place like that.)
The prohibition is not against Cubans, specifically, as a racial group.

In this case, the airline forbids making transactions with Jews.  Jews live in more places than just Israel. This means that the Rabbi living near Times Square cant board a flight any more than this guy could.

One is a political prohibition on transportation to and from a specific country, the other is a prohibition on commerce in general with a racial group.

NOT the same.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Not thee same thing.

A person from Cuba can still enter the US, just not directly from Cuba. (they can enter via Venuzela, or Brazil, or any place like that.)

In this case, the airline forbids making transactions with Jews.  Jews live in more places than just Israel. This means that the Rabbi living near Times Square cant board a flight any more than this guy could.

One is a political prohibition on transportation to and from a specific country, the other is a prohibition on commerce in general with a racial group.

NOT the same.
Yeah, but isn't the argument more along the lines that Kuwait does not recognize Israel as a state, with the 'business with jews' being a mental shorthand here?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldnt be too sure of that. It may very well be illegal in the country they operate from, to do business with Jews. (as in, people of Jewish-Semitic origin or religious affiliation.)

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not thee same thing.

NOT the same.
Yeah, but isn't the argument more along the lines that Kuwait does not recognize Israel as a state, with the 'business with jews' being a mental shorthand here?

Probably the other way around where the "Not doing business with Jews" mentality leads to "Not recognizing Israel".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yes, yes, they're not ˾literally identical practices. ̚ Just close enough in sentiment and execution the parallels are more than a little obvious. And I guess, being fair, the US hasn't actually gone through with a blanket ban against a religious/ethnic group! Yet.

It's still morbidly amusing to see a country with large swaths of the population calling for exactly what kuwait is doing making a fuss about it. Hell, if the polls are even remotely resembling representative there's more people in the US that's professing support for that kind of behavior than kuwait has people, period.

Mind, m'not exactly saying kuwait shouldn't be shit on from on high for the practice, but still. S'maybe just a wee bit of hypocrisy going on.
Ask not!
Ask!

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not even remotely close matey.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Yeah, not wanting to let Muslims enter the US out of fear of them attacking the country, and not doing business with Jews because Jews are degenerate vermin who only deserve extermination isn't exactly the same kind of thing, Frumple.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Because there's no stateside call for the complete extermination of muslims and Israel has no history of aggression and/or terrorist acts, of course ::)
Ask not!
Ask!

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thankfully parts of government still function properly even when idiot politicians say trash like "we should forbid all Muslims entering the country". That sort of thing is still illegal by US law whether a far right wing politician is calling for it or not. Otherwise I agree the sentiment. US politics is pretty hypocritical about these things. I've heard the US government described as a multi-headed, tentacled beast before, with different departments having completely different attitudes & policies on an issue before.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:34:40 am by wobbly »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5