Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A vile force of darkness has arrived!  (Read 7796 times)

Potato9999

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly racist against goblins
    • View Profile
Re: A vile force of darkness has arrived!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2015, 09:38:04 pm »

Siege forces need to actually travel across the world map now to reach your fortress, so what could have happened is that all but one goblin from the original group was killed off in the travel from their land to your land.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 10:16:24 pm »

Siege forces need to actually travel across the world map now to reach your fortress, so what could have happened is that all but one goblin from the original group was killed off in the travel from their land to your land.
Could be, but that doesn't really explain why they're ignoring the siege triggers.  I guess they could be:
1) Broken ambushes
2) Wandering goblin bandits come to rob you
3) Part of a siege force that's pathed through your fortress accidentally
4) Caused by some new dynamic link between siege trigger and population cap.

Only Toady knows for sure (probably).

Dust Bunnies

• Bay Watcher
  • help
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 06:45:20 am »

You should capture him and put him in a cage that hangs over the dining area.
That currently can't be done in the last version: reports say goblins are also affected by 9271, "troglodytes [intelligent/untamable animals?] cannot be assigned to a cage or chain"

Really? Darn ):

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2015, 09:25:08 am »

You should capture him and put him in a cage that hangs over the dining area.
That currently can't be done in the last version: reports say goblins are also affected by 9271, "troglodytes [intelligent/untamable animals?] cannot be assigned to a cage or chain"

Really? Darn ):

You can't assign them to a cage (or chain), but if they were already captured in a cage you can still designate that to be built.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2015, 11:33:06 am »

I had a siege similar to this.  about 6 goblins showed up at the edge of the map but by the time my professional army got there, there was only 1 left.  I don't know if they ran away because they saw the dwarves or what.  I had a later siege with dozens of goblins plus trolls and beak dogs so that goblin civ is doing just fine and that must not be the issue.

tangerines

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2015, 09:51:28 pm »

It is actually a bug, I believe.
I've got four sieges so far. Each time an actual army appeared on the edge of the map, but with the next tick everyone left but bowmen/crossbowsmen.
Competent Writer
Dabbling English

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:55 am »

I think we're missing something important

This Goblin might just be a force of nature that has slain thousands upon thousands in his life of terror for hundreds of years
The Goblin king sent their greatest warrior forged in the fires of hell to singlehandedlly siege your fortress
He might have destroyed entire civilizations as the lone goblin archer
They lower thier defenses thinking their army can handle one goblin and that is when he strikes
Volly upon volly of fast paced acurate arrows tearing a fully armed human knight in half and a fully armed dwarven warrior in 4ths

Or he got lost and just wandered onto your map and is gana be used as decor for your tavern
Woops
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:47:10 am by Sprin »
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 10:13:22 am »

Naw, no oops. He's a Trojan goblin. He'll be captured as decoration, settled in the fortress, escape his cage one night and open the door for the real siege.

He has been doing this for centuries, he knows the drill.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 11:19:33 am »

Naw, no oops. He's a Trojan goblin. He'll be captured as decoration, settled in the fortress, escape his cage one night and open the door for the real siege.

He has been doing this for centuries, he knows the drill.

That is a good point. It could be a forward observational scout (much like a mine canary) pushed foward to scope out what the defenses are like and whether its worthwhile to raid/aggressive militarily (given that both goblin child snatchers + kobolds relay back information, if you have no children to snatch it could be method no#2 of scouting it out)
Pages: 1 [2]