Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Vigilante Justice  (Read 1111 times)

cltail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Vigilante Justice
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:27:50 pm »

Dwarves always want to get nominated into the military, it is a very honor-filled job. unfortunately, Dwarves will do anything to get noticed, And civilians will now attack enemies, instead of rationally running away and letting the military do their job. Now, I would appreciate them doing this if they weren't running outside of my fortress to punch around 20~ zombies plus one necromancer in the face,  inevitably dying, and bolstering their numbers.

around 4 civvies ran out to attack the zombies for no reason, and not a single one got a hit in.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Vigilante Justice
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 04:48:29 pm »

Use civilian alert burrows to reign them in.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:41:18 pm »

It's because alcohol makes them irrationally braver, this, combined with the way they handle emotions (particularly brave individuals will try to avenge their fellow civ members and so on), causes them to become near suicidal at times.
I think Toady posted about it somewhere in the General Discussion session.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 06:05:08 pm »

Just had this happen with a bunch of dwarves streaming out to punch a forgotten beast to death as soon as I opened a way into the caverns. From the looks of it, a bunch of them had unmet needs for excitement and fighting.

Particularly annoying considering the effort I spent on building a cave-in trap to kill the beast without any dwarven death or dismemberment you stupid dwarves. Soon as I opened a hole to let the beast into the trap, a bunch of dwarves run down into the caverns and beeline straight to the forgotten beast. I set an alert to keep them assigned to a burrow but it didn't stop them. Not sure if the alert took time to activate or I did something wrong, but in any case the beast is dead now and I can't say if the burrow would've stopped them or not.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 04:02:39 am »

I don't think a burrow will make a fighting dorfs turn tail an retreat, so I think it should be applied before you breach the cavern to be safe, and most probably will work only on those who haven't yet come into sight range of the FB.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 11:41:20 am »

From the looks of it, a bunch of them had unmet needs for excitement and fighting.

That sounds like we need a new consideration in our fortress designs.  If 0.34 was the Age of the Mist Generator, perhaps 0.42 will be the Age of the Blood Temple(*).

(*) Where a Blood Temple is a place where citizen dwarves worship Armok by beating a crundle, or a goblin, or some other caged-and-released creature to a bloody pulp.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 11:55:27 am »

...blood mist all over the dining hall?