Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Weather Thread  (Read 13099 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weather Thread
« on: December 18, 2015, 11:50:12 pm »

This is a thread for the discussion and appreciation of weather around the world.
Discuss the current weather you are, what you think of it, and how you would prefer the weather to behave.
Here, it is currently a lovely 42 degrees. Celsius, of course- there is no place for whatever strange, foreign units of temperature you may come up with in this thread be sure to make a note if you are using some weird other unit so as to avoid confusion.

Anyway, lately most warm days here have been accompanied by high winds that kinda spoil the fun, but today it is fairly still.
Outside is like an oven. I am about to equip my sunglasses and go out for a walk, to see if I could possibly become any sweatier than I already am inside.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weather Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:55:30 pm »

suddenly snow everywhere and cars spinning off the road. massive pileups and highway traffic jams for hours. typical Michigan winter really.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:49:02 am »

Has been nice all week, 70F and occasional clouds and rain. April weather, really. Today, the weather said "haha fuckers" and dropped to 36F with wind like Boreas after a bowl of chili.

By Christmas Eve, it's supposed to be back up to 75F.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 02:39:12 am »

By Christmas Eve, it's supposed to be back up to 75F.
I suppose that's pretty good by US standards... at least you aren't gonna spend Christmas freezing your proverbial off. :)

In other news, the oven-like heat that kept up all day has now given way to a pleasant, light rain at about half past five in the evening.
Or half past six, if you buy into that DST crap. Either way it's pretty nice. Still warm, just raining outside. Gonna finish my beer and go for a stroll.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 03:24:58 am »

It's been wind and rain for the last few weeks here in Scotland.  Which, well, it's Scotland so quelle surprise.

It's been unseasonably warm though - around 14C today, where it'd normally be closer to 4C this time of year.  Heck, 5 years ago the country was pretty much brought to a halt by continual snow back in November, but this year it's only snowed once or twice and half-heartedly at that.

I kinda miss the snow, but I generally enjoy the wind and rain.  Could stand to see a 5C or so drop in temperature though.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:07:36 pm »

It's 2:06PM here and it's raining. Quite nice, actually.
It was spitting a bit earlier and the smell of rain was pretty strong, but now it's actually raining. It hasn't even been particularly hot lately, so that's odd... no doubt it will get extra warm after the rain stops, so that should be fun, too. ^-^
Booze is Life for Yoink

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:01 am »

A Russian winter has finally arrived in St. Petersburg. The high on Friday is supposed to be about -21 C (-6 F), which, not coincidentally, is the day I fly to Portugal to go herd goats.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:20:04 am »

It's been disgustingly mild in the UK. And wet. Very wet.

I've been walking around London in the getup I wore in Poland in early September. And just next to Thames, I felt too hot in them.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:31:51 am »

Last winter I lived near the Canadian border in the US and it got really cold in the winter (-55 degrees F [about -48 C) windchill anyone?). Now I live in the American south and, despite it being January, I have yet to put on a coat. As of right now, it's POSITIVE 36.5 degrees F (2.5 C).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »

If you haven't put a coat on at 36F, you are not human. I'm wearing a flannel over ANOTHER flannel, and I'm inside with the heat on.

It was nearly 80F on Christmas Day (after two days of Noah-style flooding where the river rose 14 feet -- 4 more feet than back in October when I evacuated my kids), and right now it's mid-day and it's still below freezing. Mother Nature has some serious disassociative disorder going on.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:24 pm »

Not much to report here. None of the flooding affected me, fortunately.

Last winter I lived near the Canadian border in the US and it got really cold in the winter (-55 degrees F [about -48 C) windchill anyone?). Now I live in the American south and, despite it being January, I have yet to put on a coat. As of right now, it's POSITIVE 36.5 degrees F (2.5 C).

The record low in my home state is -40F. You're not a leopard seal, are you?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:22:15 pm »

A week ago, it was in the 50s(°F). Today, it was 12°.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 08:23:18 pm »

It was about 15 degrees Fahrenheit, then subtract windchill, for most of today.  And it still hasn't snowed.  Last Tuesday, I was in spring/summer wear...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 08:34:59 pm »

Not much to report here. None of the flooding affected me, fortunately.

The record low in my home state is -40F. You're not a leopard seal, are you?
I still have a theory that Canadians are just wendigos posing in the skins of all the various settlers who froze to death. They send inviting videos of Vancouver and Montreal to lure their dinner to come visit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 08:49:07 pm »

That raises some terrifying questions regarding what canadian maple syrup is actually made of.

I'm not saying canada's strategic syrup reserves are the world's largest reservoirs of wendigo reproductive material, but...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10