Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 284374 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: Omega Base
« Reply #2760 on: June 16, 2018, 11:08:13 am »

Do you need help with suggestions for anything specific, like magic or types of creatures?
types of magic, types of creatures, stats to keep, stats to remove, stats to add, same with skills. Also, mission types and the like.

Speaking of mission types, I think I will be instituting a mission length aspect, so that we can have shorter and longer missions, with corresponding reward values
Figure 2-3 rounds per week.

quick and dirty: mission length 1-10 rounds. (1 - 5 weeks)
Reward types:
skill/stat gain - minimal or nil.
Pay - depending on threat level / importance of mission success. (low to medium)
equipment - mostly bring your own or loot what you can.

average: length: 11-20 rounds (5-10 weeks)
skill/stat gain: basic
pay - a standard pay plus bonuses for mission objectives or going above and beyond
equipment - some standard mission equipment provided.

Long: 21 + rounds
skill/stat gain: high, or multiple at mission checkpoints
pay: significant
equipment: special equipment likely provided at mission start, as well as reward equipment at mission end.

thoughts?

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: June 16, 2018, 11:17:11 am »

For mission, you could also add a "risk" aspect, with lethality levels of Medium, High and Suicide, which could also affect rewards.

For example, a simple fetch quest might be Medium risk and Long duration while stopping an asteroid from destroying an inhabited planet could be Suicide risk and Quick lenght.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: June 16, 2018, 12:20:11 pm »

Sounds fun, I think we have hit the point were a wiki may be nice
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: June 16, 2018, 12:25:12 pm »

I think I would seperate magic into offensive and defensive magic, stat-wise.  Like you have spells that attack, debuff, take from others, and spells that heal, defend, buff, etc, just to make it less of a universal stat.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: June 16, 2018, 03:36:07 pm »

Maybe there should be an option for dumb, melee only brutes for magic. I was thinking of something like weapon magic, in which a fighter could focus their energy on a weapon or their fists to increase the power. For example, causing a blunt weapon like a mace to emit shockwaves on impact or making fists strong enough to bend steel.

Elementals, spirits and other incorporeal energetical beings could be their own creature type, too.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: June 16, 2018, 07:00:01 pm »

Power Within is the best spell.

Could you get the new character rules out soonish? I wanna play with 'em. :3

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: June 16, 2018, 07:49:30 pm »

Especially if combined with the Red Tearstone Ring. They both stack and buff damage like crazy at low health.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:01 am »

Okay, First things first: The Mission is over. You Succeeded! You are all in a sort of suspended animation though, with the following exceptions: Vladen and Freddie need to decide what effect Vladen's healing has on Freddie, as that happened before the portal spell engaged. Finally, Those of you who survived this will be getting a significant reward, IC. I'll wait until We've gotten you guys moved over to the new system before granting it, though. Same with the level-ups.

This thread is now primarily going to be a discussion about the rules and a development of the Character sheet.

For mission, you could also add a "risk" aspect, with lethality levels of Medium, High and Suicide, which could also affect rewards.

For example, a simple fetch quest might be Medium risk and Long duration while stopping an asteroid from destroying an inhabited planet could be Suicide risk and Quick lenght.
Yes. This is good. Consider it done.

Sounds fun, I think we have hit the point were a wiki may be nice
a Wiki has been suggested in the past, a couple times. I'm not opposed, but with five active players, it might not be all that important :P

I think I would seperate magic into offensive and defensive magic, stat-wise.  Like you have spells that attack, debuff, take from others, and spells that heal, defend, buff, etc, just to make it less of a universal stat.
Over the course of the game, I realized that magic was rather universal in this game. dividing it into soething like attack, defense, and utility magic, orlimiting it to specific spells (ala the wizard spells from DnD) doesn't really fit the gameplay to date. What I am planning on doing - to make the Character sheet match the reality a bit more, is to make Magic a stat or attribute, and to make the use of magic governed by the other skills. that is, if one is attack ing with magic, it is the attack skill that matters. The magic affinity determines the kind of effect, and the magnitude of effect. I think this addresses the issue that magic was always a sort of OP skill, and the various combat skills were dump stats, as well as making pure melee builds and other non-magic dps builds more effective.

Maybe there should be an option for dumb, melee only brutes for magic. I was thinking of something like weapon magic, in which a fighter could focus their energy on a weapon or their fists to increase the power. For example, causing a blunt weapon like a mace to emit shockwaves on impact or making fists strong enough to bend steel.

Elementals, spirits and other incorporeal energetical beings could be their own creature type, too.
The option for pure melee characters is, as I mentioned in response to Dev's comment above, part of what I hope to accomplish with the rework. As for teh creature types, i've added them to the work in progress new rulesheet.

The more you guys give me feedback on what's good and what's bad, the better I'll be able to put it together.

Okay, Here are the areas I need to work on:
Stats:
currently the list of stats is: strength, dex, speed, constitution, intelligence, memory, charisma, magic
I will probably combine stength and constitution, speed and dex, intelligence and memory. I might make substats though. Like
Stat: Body. Substats: Strength, Constitution, Stamina
Stat: Movement: Substats: Dexterityx, Speed, Agility
Stat: Mind: Substats: Cleverness, Memory, ?
Stat: Spirit: Substats: Charisma, Magic, ?
Stat: Health: Substats: Physical, Mental, Spiritual

Skills:
Currently, I have
natural Weapons (body parts, breath weapons, etc), unnatural Weapons(swords, bows, etc) melee, ranged, medical, Knowledge (specific category), and Special skills (flight, shapeshifting, environmental survival (like surviving in fire or underwater, or on land for water based creatures) I don't really like this list - it needs lots of work

Armory and items:
I'm thinking of instituting armor class to an extent, since i am contemplating adding the health stat. I think both of these things will make things less ambiguous. I need items, and costs, as well as general pay ranges for missions, since I plan on adding that aspect in as well.

Weapons
armor
magical supplies (items necessary for casting magics)
medical supplies

Other?
what have I forgotten?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: June 17, 2018, 11:17:42 pm »

Weapons!

Dagger, throwing knife, shortsword, longsword, greatsword, ultragreatsword, club, mace, greatclub, battle axe, greataxe, spear, pike, halberd, glaive, pole hammer, shortbow, longbow, crossbow, arquebus.

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: June 18, 2018, 09:15:48 am »

Name of Character: Jonh Paxton, the fastest hand in the south-west
Race: Zombie

Stats:
Strength: 0
Constitution: 0
Speed: 1
Dexterity: 2
Intelligence: -2
Memory:-1
Will: 0
Charisma:-1

Skills:
Unarmed combat: 2
Blunt weapons: -2
Sharp weapons: 0
Ranged weapons: 2
Magic: -2
Medicine: -2
General knowledge: -1
Skill Mastery/specialization: 0

Description: A tall half-eaten(fucking coyotes) corpse missing it's lower jaw
How did you become part of the Omega Legion?: Joined cause the job opportunities for undead are surprisingly low.
Background: Jonh was your normal run of the mil outlaw when a necromancer killed him, feed him to his pet coyotes, raised him back to life, killed him 4 more times, then got stabbed in the face by John when the coyotes died of food poisoning

This looks fun, have a zombie cowboy
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:03:22 am by ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES »

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: June 18, 2018, 09:24:28 am »

That’s a lot of -2

ANGRY_DEMON_NOISES

• Bay Watcher
  • [JUDGMENT INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: June 18, 2018, 09:29:35 am »

I think I didn't understand the point distribution thing right.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: June 18, 2018, 10:55:40 am »

Right now it's in flux, actually, with a rules reshuffle coming soon.

Also, stats are relative to the race you select.  A zombie with a -2 Con would probably die a lot more easily than the classic zombie requiring brain damage.  -2s should be taken with care; they're apt to be relevant annoyingly frequently, often ending in death.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: June 18, 2018, 12:49:39 pm »

I feel like teh character sheet is becoming more and more complex. i'm going to need to simplify, I think.

For now, try this out. Post a couple example characters with this sheet and these rules, and we'll see what works and what doesn't.

Spoiler: Character sheet: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rules (click to show/hide)

SuperDino85

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:26 pm »

What does unnatural weapon and natural weapon mean?
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 194