Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 284504 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion: Omega Base
« Reply #2655 on: December 08, 2017, 08:56:11 am »

>Cautiously approach the spot where I was accosted by that one troll one before, attempt to ascertain whether he or she is still there after all this time.
They don't seem to move very quickly, after all...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: December 08, 2017, 09:59:35 am »

"Query: The scouting out of locations sounds somewhat important in the light of recent events. This one is sure you can find other bodies for simple grunt work, but things like that this one is more than happy to help with.

Hesitant statement: This one will go on the mission for the heart if command so desires. However, this one is still somewhat averse after the general incompetence of last mission. Also, this one questions if throwing more bodies at this objective than you already are will increase the chances of succes.

Proposal: Perhaps this one is better used to complete secondary objectives like the exploration, with the option of being hot dropped as support if things go awry in the main mission?"

Conversate.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: December 09, 2017, 05:23:43 pm »

>Cautiously approach the spot where I was accosted by that one troll one before, attempt to ascertain whether he or she is still there after all this time.
They don't seem to move very quickly, after all...

(2) you cautiously approach the area, but the troll is not there.

"Query: The scouting out of locations sounds somewhat important in the light of recent events. This one is sure you can find other bodies for simple grunt work, but things like that this one is more than happy to help with.

Hesitant statement: This one will go on the mission for the heart if command so desires. However, this one is still somewhat averse after the general incompetence of last mission. Also, this one questions if throwing more bodies at this objective than you already are will increase the chances of succes.

Proposal: Perhaps this one is better used to complete secondary objectives like the exploration, with the option of being hot dropped as support if things go awry in the main mission?"

Conversate.
"You would, undoubtedly, be the most tested, competent being on that mission, were you to go. However, we will not force you to make that choice. It is expected to be a troublesome mission for all involved. Hot dropping ... hmm, that gives me an idea. Yes, if it comes to it, perhaps that wold be a useful idea."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:37 pm »

"You would, undoubtedly, be the most tested, competent being on that mission, were you to go. However, we will not force you to make that choice. It is expected to be a troublesome mission for all involved. Hot dropping ... hmm, that gives me an idea. Yes, if it comes to it, perhaps that wold be a useful idea."
"Reply: Excellent, this one is glad that you like the idea. This one also feels that the people on mission should do without this one's support for the time being. Perhaps they will come to appreciate this one's efforts then.

Statement: This one is ready for whatever other task you deem necessary, and also to be hot dropped when needed."

Excellent, plan "faff about, possibly hot drop is a-go. Go ask around command to see what secondary task they want me to do right now.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: December 12, 2017, 08:28:07 am »

An officer directs you toward a series of portals. The technicians monitoring these portals tell you that they lead into the unknown. Most everyone else is busy moving Omega equipment and the like to a different set of portals, but these each have some potential use for Omega, should the regions beyond prove suitable for the plans of the Officers.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: December 13, 2017, 02:55:10 am »

"Statement: Well, this one is ready to begin whenever. If you'd point this one in the direction of the portal you'd want done first, that would be great."

When the technician give the go-ahead, step through the portal they reccomend. If they don't reccomend anything, just pick the one closest to me.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: December 14, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »

You step out into a dust storm. It seems to be daytime, based on the ambient light, but it's hard to tell, what with the dust and all. hte wind isn't enough to push you around, but it makes walking and navigation challenging. The portal glows behind you with a steady, reassuring light.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: December 14, 2017, 03:24:42 pm »

Actually, step back through the portal for now and ask the Omega people what exactly they expect from me, since I don't think anyone's really told me.

After that, get some spikes and a bunch of rope and head back through the portalplant a spike and attach the rope to it, so I can hansel and gretel my back to it. Use robutt computing to figure out the source of this dust storm and if it's common here, and to check the surrounding area for anything interesting.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: December 20, 2017, 08:56:55 am »

"Oh, you know. Explore, report. Gather interesting things if you find them. Try not to die."

You gather some gear and head in again. from your computing you determine that the dust storms are probably a regular local occurrence, spawned by natural means. How frequent, intense, or long lasting they are, you haven't determined.
You walk as far as your equipment will allow, and make a full circle. You find nothing of interest.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: December 22, 2017, 11:12:47 am »

Stand here for a while more to see if the dust storm changes. While standing around, use robutt computing to determine two things: Are the duststorms permanent? Are there any structures around here?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: December 26, 2017, 10:34:45 am »

The dust storm lasts for several hours. You get dust in every joint, and will need a full cleaning and maintenance overhaul when you return. You are getting the occasional alarm on some tubing losing pressure, some wire shorting, some lens cracking. But eventually the winds die down and the storm passes. You then cast your mental abilities toward, and discover a vast, half buried city. It's walls are a couple miles from here, but you sense the structure radiating outward from there, even below ground right up to your current location and beyond for another mile or so.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: December 26, 2017, 07:33:55 pm »

"Sarcastic Statement: Wonderful."

Use my robutt farseeing to check out that city, both the above ground bit and the underground bit.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: December 28, 2017, 08:49:42 am »

(6) Something uses your robutt farseeing to check you out.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: January 03, 2018, 08:04:12 pm »

((So, I didn't even get a little bit of info back?))

Nope. Nope out of there straight back through the Nope portal. If I managed to leg it home this turn, say the following the the omega lads.

"Statement: This portal houses sand. Both on the ground and flying in your face at high velocity. There are structures, but aboveground and underneath.
Warning: This one did not search further, as its magic was used by something when this one tried to use farseeing to scout ahead. This one did not investigate further, feeling that a site with some kind of magical entity capable of using magical channels in it is probably not worth the effort.

Request: This one will need to get some maintanance before venturing into another portal. The sand is interfering with this one's functioning."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: January 03, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »

sure, you got info back. I just thought that was the most relevant and immediate piece of info. I didn't want to dilute the impact.

Back at base, after your report, as you are getting pulled apart, cleaned, greased, adjusted, and reassembled, you sift through your findings from that event. Whatever it was that looked back through you was a large consciousness, but perhaps not a sapient one. it lived, not in the sand, but in the underground regions of the ruined city. The entire city, above ground and below, carried with it the feel of age - many years in a dry place above, many years in the cool earth below, and deeper, the typical scent of dampness. The below ground part of the city was layered - the higher layers looked as if they were meant to be lived in above ground, but perhaps had been consumed by the desert. Below that, a mix of the remains of previous cities, long since built over, and a vast, intricate tunnel network. Much of the tunnel network was designed as habitation and commerce, while still more was designed as waste removal, maintenance, drainage, and the like. Even further in, natural caves could be found.

It is unclear whence came the consciousness that resides there now, or if it is one vast gestalt, or if you brushed up against a sort of collective unconscious from some kind of hive or nest or something. But other beings live within the ecosystem of the underground city as well, though you only caught glimpses of the usual small things: insects, rodents, lizards.

You send this info as a follow up report. Next time you approach the portal room, that portal is shut, and tagged with some arcane writing.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 194