Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 284875 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #2175 on: April 16, 2017, 09:18:18 am »

"Reply: Yes, they are quite amusing, what with their constant chittering. Much of their squabbling is about installing things inside of this one which may or may not explode violently, so that's somewhat concerning. Also somewhat endearing, though.

Query: Anyway, what's the latest around here? I'm sure that with the asylum finished our overlords will have wasted not time finding something else for us all to do."

Converse and wait for painting results (no rush)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: April 16, 2017, 02:43:25 pm »

".....I saw.....my lover die twice lost someone who saved my life and killed nearly everyone last mission. I...I haven't been able to contact my family at all....and it feel's...I don't know what to do. Even if I did leave the legion. I don't know where I could even go."
Say the above
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: April 18, 2017, 05:18:42 pm »

Welp, thats all I can do on that front. Next up - shifting experimentation!

My MAG went up in my last levelup, and I got a ton of practice with Giant Frost Cat form last mission. Am I able to get the Realy big version consistantly now? can I get an even bigger one?

I need to find out if Floaty has stingers, if stingers are poisonious, and if I can control them or if their use is involuntary.

I also want to test partial-shifts to floaty. Can I get light enough to float while still looking normal? or while retaining my default shape enough to use my bow?

Annnd I want to test hybridizing floaty with other forms. I'll start with frostcat and compare Floaty Frostcat to Giant Frostcat.
You can get the Really Big version of Giant Frost cat regularly now. No bigger though. Floaties do not have stingers. they rely on their bulk and lack of giant natural predators to survive, more than on defensive or offensive things. Of course, there are giant natural predators in Sky, so that strategy is not always successful.

I don't think you've done partial shifts before, with any form. Might wanna start small on that. I'd say try it with the various 'natural' forms that are common beings before trying it with the more exotic and complex ones.

Same with combinations of forms. Both of these skills are something of an evolution of your abilities, though hybridization at least has Giant Frost Cat as a precedent.

Dar'yajira growls out a simple "...What?" upon hearing the man's monosyllabic response.  He glares up at the mage, ears flat against his head and lips drawn back into a snarl, and starts to shout angrily.  "Does Twoleg truly expect that this one will fetch it rotten poison, despite not knowing location of such, or being capable of carrying liquid?  Clearly, Twoleg is much too incapable alone, yes.  It wishes for poison, but another must do the poisoning!  Fine, Cat understands.  It may not get beer, but it is druid; if Twoleg wants poison, Dar'yajira can get it poison!"

That really nice bed the guy was sleeping in, it's made of dead organic matter, yes?  Well, let's see if we can't give it a bit of life, and grow it into something resembling this dude's desires.  Maybe... Some sort of thorny fruit vines, preferably something with an intoxicating poison.

After that, assuming the guy doesn't begin combat, Dar's gonna drag the metal out (or storm out and take it with him, however he transported it), and try and get it down to the bottom of the canyon, or at least to a secluded area away from Twolegs

You awaken the life in the wood of the man's bed and change it, growing thorns, branches, and roots. A few small flowers bud and begin to grow fruits. The man scowls. The fairy that's been following you giggles. The scowl deepens. "This some kinda joke? You expect me to work for nothing? I didn't ask for decorations. Sort out your own problems, cat. Get out of my room."

"Reply: Yes, they are quite amusing, what with their constant chittering. Much of their squabbling is about installing things inside of this one which may or may not explode violently, so that's somewhat concerning. Also somewhat endearing, though.

Query: Anyway, what's the latest around here? I'm sure that with the asylum finished our overlords will have wasted not time finding something else for us all to do."

Converse and wait for painting results (no rush)
You discover that the painting is sentient and malevolent. Probably not really news, there, but at least a confirmation of expectations.

"News? Hmm. I've been busy with the asylum for the most part, so my information is limited, but I understand the Captains have been working on a couple big projects lately. I think one of their recent missions was to retrieve an artifact more interesting than that idol. At least, more interesting according to the amount of buzz it's been generating at HQ. Then, there are the usual battles to fight. I hear Intelligence is coming for a visit. That could stir some things up. Oh! I just remembered. Every dozen years or so, an army of insects rises and marches across the Vell realms. We have holdings there. The being in charge of those holdings is rather a stubborn type, and wants to save as much of them as he can. Most folk just evacuate and wait for the storm to blow over. We might be sending some beings in to help out, though. Could be quite an advantage to have the only surviving settlement in the region once the armies pass."

".....I saw.....my lover die twice lost someone who saved my life and killed nearly everyone last mission. I...I haven't been able to contact my family at all....and it feel's...I don't know what to do. Even if I did leave the legion. I don't know where I could even go."
Say the above
Yes, that does sound rough. That kind of trauma can really mess a person up. Leave them nightmares their whole lives. Wherever you go, you'll carry those battles, those scars with you. but running from them, now, that means that those hurts are stronger than you. bigger. In control. You don't want them to control your life. So, we need to face those pains, begin putting some of them to rest, begin fighting the others, to grow, to become stronger than our pasts.

Maybe a memorial to your lost loved ones. And something of an atonement for your past sins. that won't solve the issue, but it will give you something to reachfor. a purpose and a path. that sounds like what you might need most right now.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: April 18, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »

Erm, @ partial shifts, see the beginning of the thread.

Aylia has been doing them since pre-game start. did them in mission 1 on the darn boat, did them on the fairy mission when concerned about mental side-effects of plantbeing form, and so on.

@combining forms, see Frost Giant + cat. see mission 1 where Aylia went from partial-shifted to cat directly to raven form when the boat toppled. see shifting from star sprite directly to giant frost cat in the last mission at the mimic for a 3-form combo during the shifting process.

So in response to your cagyness... wut? these are well-established abilities and i'd link them if i wasnt on my phone.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:23 pm »

Dar'yajira replies smugly "Oh, this one paid Twoleg exactly what it needs, even if it does not know it.  But regardless, Cat will happily leave."

As said before, Dar will now leave, dragging the metal with him, preferably somewhere secluded.  Once it's been transported, he will try and transform back into his original form--since he was able to change form into what was locally natural at +2 magic, one would imagine he's quite capable of the same at +3 magic, though I don't expect him to actually fix his default form.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:14 pm »

Noir listened quietly to them...as they spoke and talked and she breathed relaxing thinking. Letting her mind wander and think about what she had done. But she began to think about what she should do. What she could do? She wanted to leave. Like jack and dar said. But she woulden't abandon them. She woulden't abandon aylia and Dar. She would protect them no matter what she had to do. Especially if that...devil was telling the truth. They were all she had. Her father would speak to her when he......got his damn head outta his ass. Noir smirked it felt good to think that. To condescend to him.
"Yeah it is. That path is making sure Aylia and Dar don't bite it. It's being strong enough to live up to being a demigod. It's to making father and mother proud.....Thank you."
Do above turn to look at the one ive been speaking with.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:58 am »

"Statement: Intelligence coming to visit, huh? I suppose this place could use some of that.
Query: Tell me about this other artifact that was retrieved recently, it sounds interesting."

Keep talking. Also, do the omega peeps who investigated the painting think it can be talked to in a safe manner, or is it so malevolent that it's basically a waste a time?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: April 22, 2017, 04:42:46 pm »

Erm, @ partial shifts, see the beginning of the thread.

Aylia has been doing them since pre-game start. did them in mission 1 on the darn boat, did them on the fairy mission when concerned about mental side-effects of plantbeing form, and so on.

@combining forms, see Frost Giant + cat. see mission 1 where Aylia went from partial-shifted to cat directly to raven form when the boat toppled. see shifting from star sprite directly to giant frost cat in the last mission at the mimic for a 3-form combo during the shifting process.

So in response to your cagyness... wut? these are well-established abilities and i'd link them if i wasnt on my phone.

*grumpyface*  'm not being cagey. I just don't remember you using partial or combined forms before. I had to look back to find that you had that flavor text bit with catform.

If I remember correctly, you did partial shifts to cat form and the like "for fun," and did so in ways that were not game mechanic oriented (i.e. flavor text type things that didn't have an effect on actions and such). I do not remember completely though, and this was just before I took up the habit of saving outgoing messages, so I can't be entirely consistent here. I do not remember the partial change to plantbeing at all. Ah well, If I need to, I can adjust later.

For partial shift to floaty: you can hold things, but you lose significant amounts of dexterity. As for actual floating - you expand out of your normal size enough that clothing and equipment are left behind - you need to specifically gather what you want in order to carry it when you are shifted enough to float.

as for combined forms - the only one I know you have done is frostgiant+cat, and that was done in a life threatening situation and had permanent consequences. And now you discover a basic difference between your natural form and your chosen ones - your basic form is a template - a blank slate on which you can write forms. Your chosen forms are not simple to mix and match. Frostcat and Floaty, you find, are rather difficult to hold in your mind together, and you fail to bring one form into the other at all.

Dar'yajira replies smugly "Oh, this one paid Twoleg exactly what it needs, even if it does not know it.  But regardless, Cat will happily leave."

As said before, Dar will now leave, dragging the metal with him, preferably somewhere secluded.  Once it's been transported, he will try and transform back into his original form--since he was able to change form into what was locally natural at +2 magic, one would imagine he's quite capable of the same at +3 magic, though I don't expect him to actually fix his default form.
So, you are changing to 'normal cat' form as an enchantment? This works out fine. Your little sprite friend helps you get your metal to a secluded place and then leaves, having lost interest in the proceedings.

Noir listened quietly to them...as they spoke and talked and she breathed relaxing thinking. Letting her mind wander and think about what she had done. But she began to think about what she should do. What she could do? She wanted to leave. Like jack and dar said. But she woulden't abandon them. She woulden't abandon aylia and Dar. She would protect them no matter what she had to do. Especially if that...devil was telling the truth. They were all she had. Her father would speak to her when he......got his damn head outta his ass. Noir smirked it felt good to think that. To condescend to him.
"Yeah it is. That path is making sure Aylia and Dar don't bite it. It's being strong enough to live up to being a demigod. It's to making father and mother proud.....Thank you."
Do above turn to look at the one ive been speaking with.
You turn around and see a fat woman sitting on a giant toadstool. Well, perhaps 'fat woman' is a bit undescriptive. She's like a half-melted ice cream cone, spilling over the edges of her seat, which is, upon closer inspection, a chair with colorful spots. It has a back and even arms, but the arms are nearly hidden by the folds of gooey girlness flopping and oozing over the sides. She smiles, and the folds ripple in rather hypnotic ways. She claps her hands together, making her arm fat wobble and ripple.
"Well, that was quick. I doubt you are 'cured' though. Still, go and perform your ritual. Come see me if you have more problems."

"Statement: Intelligence coming to visit, huh? I suppose this place could use some of that.
Query: Tell me about this other artifact that was retrieved recently, it sounds interesting."

Keep talking. Also, do the omega peeps who investigated the painting think it can be talked to in a safe manner, or is it so malevolent that it's basically a waste a time?
"the other artifact? All I know is that it is supposed to hold great power and that it may be useful here in Omega Base itself. And no, it wasn''t retrieved - the mission failed rather spectacularly. Not that Brass expected it to succeed - but they did expect it to fail a bit further in than it did. Brass was hoping for more information than that mission retrieved."

They think the painting is a waste of time, whether it can be talked to safely or not. of course, they won't stop you from trying, but the painting is likely to end up in a niche in the Asylum - or on the wall across from the cell of a 'troublesome inmate.'

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: April 22, 2017, 05:19:16 pm »

@plantbeing partial-shift:
I return to my native form almost all the way, but I make a point of retaining that sense that I'm... smelling? the Plantbabies with.
Aylia shifts to Elf girl, attempting to retain plantsense. She retains leafy hair and green skin, and her feet remain rootlike. It is uncomfortable to remain in this hybrid form, but she can sense the plantbabies, even though she can't see them. Plant momma must have some natural connection to her children, or the ability to see invisible grows with age or something. as for turning invisible, that seems possible but unreliable.
@"for fun" that is correct - but they were still a casually done thing, not something she had to train for or had no experience with. your inital response stated that she needed to learn how to do it at all and that she'd never done it, which is wrong on several levels.

@combining forms - Aylia has done them, by necessity, every time she shifts from one form to another. it's not a *poof now you're something else* effect. if she shifts from frostcat directly to floaty, or floaty directly to frostcat, then she is, by necessity, going through being in a combined form while in the process of the shift.

Frankly, the restriction I expected (and Aylia has been operating under anyway) was to complete the shift one way or another before starting a new one, with a special exemption given to Giant Frostcat because Frost Giant and Cat were perma-merged into Frostcat anyway, and all she's doing is tweaking the ratio of the two to have more Frost Giant.

also, I want to nail down really quick a difference in how we're picturing Aylia's mechanics, because I think we might not be on the same page:
Aylia exerts effort to CHANGE forms, not to REMAIN in a form (Evidence: she remains in whatever her current form is when she's sleeping and/or knocked out), and the shifting process is intuitive, not formally studied like a mage casts a spell. Aylia doens't require a mental picture of what she's shifting to. She does what she does because she is who she is, it's a natural thing for her. do you make a mental picture of the musculature of your leg in order to walk? no? same deal here. the entire thing is intuitive, she just does it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »

Oh hey there. No I never stop thinking about this. Need to get myself killed more. Come on ozzy, get like Grunts in here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: April 23, 2017, 12:03:39 am »

you want to play a sentient ... piece of Omega Base? That could have ... consequences.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: April 23, 2017, 12:14:50 am »

A piece of rock that's always been in the same place as Omega base is now. I assume that they didn't literally create a desert with a base in it ready-made. Though I concede that it's possible, given that A Wizard Did It.

I was not intending to be something particularly Omegaey, if you think that's impossible with that background I'll change it to something else.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 12:18:46 am by Egan_BW »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: April 23, 2017, 02:25:18 am »

Dar thanks the sprite for its time and assistance, saying that if it ever requires anything of him, he would be happy to help--though preferably after he finishes his immediate errands.

After it's gone, he'll attempt to use his druidic affinity to nature and metal to attempt to shape the metal himself.  At first, he'll just test this out with the metal on the ground, to gauge how difficult and risky it is.  If he doesn't have difficulty shaping the metal, he'll rest a bit, and then try and shape it into body armor directly on his body.  Really hoping that +3 "success barring extenuating circumstances." thing prevents suicide here...

If by some miracle that actually works well, armor specifications!  The metal plates should be very thin, more meant for deflection than toughness--Dar doesn't want to be weighed down, and is mostly making armor as an easy way to carry some piece of Lathal with him.  Most of the metal will probably remain unused.  Cosmetically, I'd ideally like it to be shaped similar to this armor.  Possibly with this helmet (sans the fake ears and bite blockers) if we're gonna be a bit unrealistic and pretend that it would ever stay on, because helmets look awesome.
Don't worry, even if Dar skewers himself, that just means I get to play Auspex.  You murderer.
((I look forward to seeing rockat in action.  Should be interesting, with metalcat.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: April 23, 2017, 10:32:30 am »

"Sardonic reply: The brass has some strange expectations from a bunch of convicts and screw-ups. This one is surprised there are actually missions that get completed succesfully around here."

Who am I to go against the Omega mages? Graciously donate the painting to the legion to do whatever they want with it.

Continue chilling with overseer guy.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: April 25, 2017, 03:29:48 pm »

@plantbeing partial-shift:
I return to my native form almost all the way, but I make a point of retaining that sense that I'm... smelling? the Plantbabies with.
Aylia shifts to Elf girl, attempting to retain plantsense. She retains leafy hair and green skin, and her feet remain rootlike. It is uncomfortable to remain in this hybrid form, but she can sense the plantbabies, even though she can't see them. Plant momma must have some natural connection to her children, or the ability to see invisible grows with age or something. as for turning invisible, that seems possible but unreliable.
@"for fun" that is correct - but they were still a casually done thing, not something she had to train for or had no experience with. your inital response stated that she needed to learn how to do it at all and that she'd never done it, which is wrong on several levels.

@combining forms - Aylia has done them, by necessity, every time she shifts from one form to another. it's not a *poof now you're something else* effect. if she shifts from frostcat directly to floaty, or floaty directly to frostcat, then she is, by necessity, going through being in a combined form while in the process of the shift.

Frankly, the restriction I expected (and Aylia has been operating under anyway) was to complete the shift one way or another before starting a new one, with a special exemption given to Giant Frostcat because Frost Giant and Cat were perma-merged into Frostcat anyway, and all she's doing is tweaking the ratio of the two to have more Frost Giant.

also, I want to nail down really quick a difference in how we're picturing Aylia's mechanics, because I think we might not be on the same page:
Aylia exerts effort to CHANGE forms, not to REMAIN in a form (Evidence: she remains in whatever her current form is when she's sleeping and/or knocked out), and the shifting process is intuitive, not formally studied like a mage casts a spell. Aylia doens't require a mental picture of what she's shifting to. She does what she does because she is who she is, it's a natural thing for her. do you make a mental picture of the musculature of your leg in order to walk? no? same deal here. the entire thing is intuitive, she just does it.

Juggling doesn't require a 'mental picture' either, and can be a purely mechanical skill. But one which increases in difficulty with the size, shape, and balance of the items juggled. when i said Aylia had trouble holding the image in mind, it was not in reference to a picture in her brain. it was in reference to the forms, and her ability to shift to two at once. When she shifts, she is leaving one valley for another. The process of change has to overcome the hill between them. The more powerful the form, the steeper the hill, and the sharper the knife's edge at the top.

Dar thanks the sprite for its time and assistance, saying that if it ever requires anything of him, he would be happy to help--though preferably after he finishes his immediate errands.

After it's gone, he'll attempt to use his druidic affinity to nature and metal to attempt to shape the metal himself.  At first, he'll just test this out with the metal on the ground, to gauge how difficult and risky it is.  If he doesn't have difficulty shaping the metal, he'll rest a bit, and then try and shape it into body armor directly on his body.  Really hoping that +3 "success barring extenuating circumstances." thing prevents suicide here...

If by some miracle that actually works well, armor specifications!  The metal plates should be very thin, more meant for deflection than toughness--Dar doesn't want to be weighed down, and is mostly making armor as an easy way to carry some piece of Lathal with him.  Most of the metal will probably remain unused.  Cosmetically, I'd ideally like it to be shaped similar to this armor.  Possibly with this helmet (sans the fake ears and bite blockers) if we're gonna be a bit unrealistic and pretend that it would ever stay on, because helmets look awesome.
Don't worry, even if Dar skewers himself, that just means I get to play Auspex.  You murderer.
((I look forward to seeing rockat in action.  Should be interesting, with metalcat.))
(1) You essentially crumple the plate of metal into a ball, like a wadded up piece of paper.

"Sardonic reply: The brass has some strange expectations from a bunch of convicts and screw-ups. This one is surprised there are actually missions that get completed succesfully around here."

Who am I to go against the Omega mages? Graciously donate the painting to the legion to do whatever they want with it.

Continue chilling with overseer guy.

"Convicts can sometimes be highly skilled and competent at what they do. AS for screw-ups, well, usually we find that one is a screw-up because they are out of their element, or are intentionally sabotaging themselves. Find the right situation and the right motivation, and you can get amazing things out of the most awkward of beings. Though ... "*shrug* "We do have a high fatality rate. The lifespan of our conscripts tends to either be short and violent, or they live long enough to be actually useful." *shrug* "It doesn't usually mater that much anyway. Most of our missions aren't 'vital to the security of the Realm' or anything. For obvious reasons."
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 194