Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 285479 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #1785 on: January 26, 2017, 08:57:04 pm »

@Egan
You could take a mundane combat skill too, though yeah, you wouldn't be as useful as a specialized combatant.  You could also have a significant amount of input, though none is necessary.  Like I said, the idea does have a pretty significant flaw in that it requires teamwork and roleplay.  Oz has a good point; I just have a soft spot for cooperatively focused characters.  :P

Quote from: @Ozark
Of course, if you can think of a specialization that does the opposite, you are welcome to propose it.
I was gonna make a joke about a character being optimized for the opposite of cooperation, but actually, playing an antimagic mage would be interesting.  I suppose Egan already kinda-sorta has one as a backup character, too.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: January 27, 2017, 12:08:04 am »

But noirs fathers realm was talked about its literally a black void with gray desolate islands scattered about its dark nothing really damn lives there besides noirs mother and father and used to be herself.Ive even mentioned when we were talking about in that pm that noir if she died her soul could potentially end up with her father and be revived though not able to influence anything and probably never leaving for thousands of years...so Ozark I honestly don't know what your talking about.

7Ah noirs perception of her father has never been fully understanding of him I suppose she has a hard time understanding his evil at times and would probably find that a little hard to believe that her father wouldn't help her at the drop of a hat.But then again he mostly hasent had to noir has not been injured much or needed her father's assistance much.But yeah I understand that.

this is kinda my argument for why noir dosent need to eat or drink because her father dident have to assist her that much that means he dident provide her with energy everyday for her to feed herself or get her water or food or something like that..so I find it unlikely noir is a creature that requires food and drink sleep I think is something they would probably need but yeah that is my kinda argument for why noir dosent need to eat or drink if this makes more sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:35:04 am by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: January 27, 2017, 05:45:26 pm »

Spoiler: ATH, how about this? (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: January 27, 2017, 08:40:48 pm »

I scrolled back through our character generation conversation in regards to Noir. Thre is NO mention of her father's world being a dark void. there is No mention of Noir not needing sustenance.

And, ATH, listen carefully. I wold have balanced that. You would have lost something else that you currently have for that. Noir has a human mother and a father who is not exactly what Noir thinks he is, in many ways. And you had been warned about this kind of thing:

I think Reggie's main issue was a lack of sense of self-preservation. He really was his own worst enemy.
He didn't quite understand really that people would want to hurt him and he didn't understand the world... Ultimately his lack of knowledge killed him I think.
Yeah. Even Ebony, who knew little of Satyrs, could figure out that giving in to the song was a terrible idea.

But still, something else for you to learn from this: There is never anything the GM doesn't know about your character. That's how games work so you can't pull new abilities out of nowhere like you tried to do with the "Probably can't be mindwiped completely" thing. If there is anything Ozark doesn't know about your new character, I suggest remedying that as soon as possible.

This was in fact, directly in regards to Noir, so you had your chance for this, months ago (May!). That chance has passed.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: January 29, 2017, 08:34:28 pm »

Why are the zombies not dead?  Does playing an undead char get you extra lives?  If so, what is the downside there?  I don't remember any undead characters having significant issues with charisma or anything, and that's quite the circumventable flaw anyway...

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: January 29, 2017, 09:07:13 pm »

Why are the zombies not dead?  Does playing an undead char get you extra lives?  If so, what is the downside there?  I don't remember any undead characters having significant issues with charisma or anything, and that's quite the circumventable flaw anyway...
Because reasons. Read the post carefully for hints and clues.

I do remember rolling a few charisma rolls for Samuel when he was in Port Heron. Omega is full of people who have charisma issues, but Solam, for instance, has stayed generally out of situations where it would be problematic, and Samuel has acted quite rationally when there was a potential issue concerning charisma, so, like you said, it is a circumventable flaw. as is having low intelligence, or low strength, low ranged weapon skill, low unarmed combat skill, low general knowledge ...

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: January 29, 2017, 09:13:24 pm »

Why are the zombies not dead?
Because its Asiin's fault.
also, on that note, make sure you outlive Asiin if you want a chance your char could be revived.
EDIT: Spelling
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 01:36:12 am by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: January 29, 2017, 11:36:03 pm »

..........I'm honestly considering retiring noir due to ic reasons......Due to......well her fuckups..her kinda confidence in herself is...a little shot...So I'm hoping when I get her back ill be able to see what is going on with noir and whether she decides to leave.If she does ill ask ozarck if we can work together on a short epilogue or something for noir.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: January 29, 2017, 11:43:36 pm »

Why are the zombies not dead?
Because its Assin's fault.
also, on that note, make sure you outlive Assin if you want a chance your char could be revived.
Asiin.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: January 30, 2017, 12:00:09 am »

@Ozarck
That is an extremely unhelpful response, FYI.  If I hadn't have gone to look at Assin's Christmas wish, I wouldn't have had any more understanding, and would have just assumed the undead were alive again because they were undead.

Also, yes, all those skills are mitigable.  Which makes ANY of them being a tradeoff for immortality an utter joke.  That was my point; if the penalty for undeath is charisma, with the boon being immortality, that's not fair at all.

@AbstractTraitorHero
Don't worry, Dar will give Noir a pep talk as soon as we know that he's not murdering her boyfriend.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: January 30, 2017, 12:34:23 am »

alright syvaris got a back up character planned if that dosent work out....I'm gonna have em use bloodmagic....probably be interesting.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: January 30, 2017, 07:45:25 pm »

Sy, you know I am not one to give away immortality cheaply. Am I not having this very argument with ATH about Noir? Remember that guy that wanted to play the wasp queen, and send out her wasplings on missions?

But since it is an issue: These guys coming back are a direct result of Asiin's wish, and are, as Terrance is, not player characters anymore.

They can be killed again and it will be final, as there will be nothing driving their return. Not that that matters for the player. They've already lost their character.

Now, about fairness. The way I had intended this game to be set up was that two characters could be completely imbalanced in relation to one another in a variety of ways. A weak troll is still far stronger than a powerful cat, for instance. and a smart troll is still a fool by most standards. So if someone says "I want to be a robot" well, they get robot powers and problems. If someone says instead, "I want to be a bodyless leaf creature that doesn't believe in magic" they get powers and problems of a completely different nature. Zombies and other undead have some things going for them that other races (or rather, living versions of the same race) don't, and some things pulling against them that others don't. It might not be exactly balanced. But I don't really care about that as much as I am interested in giving real challenges, interesting experiences, and a fun game for each player. I try not to let any character break the game for the others, if possible, but I am not concerned about making all creatures equal and balanced either.

Of course, as varied as the initial set of characters was, some of my careful attention to base race imbalances got lost in the shuffle, but I think that worked out for gameplay purposes well enough.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: January 30, 2017, 11:59:52 pm »

Umm.  It wasn't still an issue, I was just pointing out why your response had failed to be particularly helpful (Lenglon's was much more helpful), mostly due to your desire to avoid outright giving us knowledge.  My way of saying it was uselessly abrasive and roundabout, but I do think you should give us unprompted information that is important to playing our characters, even if our characters would not know that information themselves.  People really shouldn't need to ask whether they're still in control of their characters, or whether their characters are dead.

Secondly, I was saying that your excuse for the hypothetical unbalanced mechanic had little value, and implied you completely misunderstood my issue.  So I restated it to illustrate why I thought it would be an issue, even though it didn't actually exist--I'm just not the sort to let a good argument die, even if we don't disagree, okay?

Finally, as a response to your post's actual content: While I agree that just not caring about balance and letting people play at wildly different power levels is a perfectly reasonable excuse, I don't think it justifies everything.  The hypothetical-if-nonexistent zombie immortality would be a problem.  Almost nobody wants their char to die, so it pushes people towards playing undead just so they can get what they want more easily.  Additionally, I know from firsthand experience that you do indeed care about balancing characters.  Virtually every one of my various chars has had abilities nerfed or changed because they could have been abused.  Noir had significant changes made to her because she was originally the most powerful character in the game.  Were those changes for the better?  Yeah.  Do they indicate that you are "not concerned about making all creatures equal and balanced either."?  No.  Were they all necessary "not to let any character break the game for the others"?  Frankly, I'd argue not.  Then again, I'd argue virtually anything.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: January 31, 2017, 12:10:43 am »

Best practice is to put [YOU HAVE DIED] at the end of any response that kills a character, imo.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 194