Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 285240 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #1500 on: November 02, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »

Thrips hopped down from the cart as it finally arrived, his flimsy boots briefly splashing in water before sinking queasily into mud.
His expression of surprised wonderment disappeared, he grimaced, swayed a bit, managed to regain his balance without breaking an ankle, then crouched down and gripped his leg to try and pull it free of the mudpool the Omega base had somehow become in his absence.

He could try and find out just how and why this happened and if it was a normal occurrence in such a dry-looking area later.

Get out of the cart. Try and free myself from the mud, preferably without losing whatever cheap footwear I have equipped.
If I manage to regain mobility, glance around to make sure there are no threats or bossy-looking people in my immediate vicinity, then leave the unloading to someone else and go jump in some puddles. Whoo!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 02, 2016, 10:01:57 pm »

Continue conversation. Ask about what facilities they have to maintain Pylon, and what tools and resources they have related to that.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 03, 2016, 12:07:49 am »

"The story was told by a mute dwarf to a deaf elf, and relayed faithfully to a dead munchkin - this munchkin was my grandfather, and at the turn of the generation he told all this to me," Fiddler starts lyrically. "And it begins, like a great many Omega stories, with a ragtag bunch of misfits sent on a mission of plunder and murder!"

Relay the events of the mission within a reasonable margin of error. Break out the fiddle to set the mood.

"... and then they said <violin sting, momentary pause with widened eyes> 'welcome home!' For you see, the entire thing was a ruse, a trick to lure the god to the dry and desolate canyon, and house her in a freshly built monastery constructed specifically for the purpose! And so it was that Katha, goddess of storms and order, was stolen from her temple by the Omega Legion!"

He bows and waits for the applause to subside whether there is any or not.

"Thank you, thank you, you're too kind."

He waits a little longer, chin raised, soaking in admiration.

"Right, yes. Now for what I would like in return: could you tell me of alchemical concoctions which could change one's physiology in a more permanent fashion? Improve it, let's say."

Tell me of these fabled mutagens, o wise woman!

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 03, 2016, 11:38:45 am »

No, thank you. I'll just rest a while.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 03, 2016, 11:58:03 am »

"Statement: It is good to hear that your work on the monastary is going well.
Query: Is there anything you need help with? This one might as well kill some time before the next life endangering mission.

Musing query: By the way, how does one advance up the ranks here anyway? This one would have expected three succesful mission to warrant some kind of rank increase, but apparently not."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 04, 2016, 08:20:52 pm »

"Thank you for showing me around, miss. The mud is no trouble."

Start rinsing off these medical supplies with some fresh rainwater. Uh, do people in this universe kind of understand bacteria and antibiotics? Might want to find a way to disinfect the bandages, with either magic or medicine.
Are there bacteria and antibiotics in this universe? An interesting philosophical question. But yes, they understand Basic Medical Hygiene.
Anyway, you find a large metal basin and clean it out, then use it as a laundry machine to clean up what you can. You scrub off the medical bench - it's marble, or something like it. Fancy. You decide to boil the cloths and instruments to disinfect and set about locating dry wood, coal, or other fire making stuff for that purpose. Before long, the office is full of steam and a bit of smoke from the fire, making vision difficult and forcing you to flee to the hallway.

Thrips hopped down from the cart as it finally arrived, his flimsy boots briefly splashing in water before sinking queasily into mud.
His expression of surprised wonderment disappeared, he grimaced, swayed a bit, managed to regain his balance without breaking an ankle, then crouched down and gripped his leg to try and pull it free of the mudpool the Omega base had somehow become in his absence.

He could try and find out just how and why this happened and if it was a normal occurrence in such a dry-looking area later.

Get out of the cart. Try and free myself from the mud, preferably without losing whatever cheap footwear I have equipped.
If I manage to regain mobility, glance around to make sure there are no threats or bossy-looking people in my immediate vicinity, then leave the unloading to someone else and go jump in some puddles. Whoo!

Most of the canyon floor is under more than three feet of water. Wanna swim a bit? Eh, you free yourself of the mud where you are and find a nice line of puddles down one of the many outer hallways, and hop along, making splotchy patterns on the walls above the high water mark. You cheerfully sing a little song as you go.

Continue conversation. Ask about what facilities they have to maintain Pylon, and what tools and resources they have related to that.
"Well, he's new, you see. So we haven't any dedicated things. but we have, oh gosh, lightning sand, quicksilver rods, obsidian lenses, eye of newt, Algorithmic Shards, quite a bit of gunpowder, and that thing, what was it?"
"The Unseeing Orb?"
"Well, that too, but I meant the thing that is all mishapen and twisty."
"The Broken Fist?"
"No of course not, that wouldn't help. How would that help?"
"Look, I don't know what he means. There are lots of twisty mishapen things. Especially after the incident."
"There's always an incident!"
"I know that. Why do you think we have so many broken and twisty things?"
"Hey, do you mean the Errant Neck?"
"Oh, yes! Funny name, that."

"The story was told by a mute dwarf to a deaf elf, and relayed faithfully to a dead munchkin - this munchkin was my grandfather, and at the turn of the generation he told all this to me," Fiddler starts lyrically. "And it begins, like a great many Omega stories, with a ragtag bunch of misfits sent on a mission of plunder and murder!"

Relay the events of the mission within a reasonable margin of error. Break out the fiddle to set the mood.

"... and then they said <violin sting, momentary pause with widened eyes> 'welcome home!' For you see, the entire thing was a ruse, a trick to lure the god to the dry and desolate canyon, and house her in a freshly built monastery constructed specifically for the purpose! And so it was that Katha, goddess of storms and order, was stolen from her temple by the Omega Legion!"

He bows and waits for the applause to subside whether there is any or not.

"Thank you, thank you, you're too kind."

He waits a little longer, chin raised, soaking in admiration.

"Right, yes. Now for what I would like in return: could you tell me of alchemical concoctions which could change one's physiology in a more permanent fashion? Improve it, let's say."

Tell me of these fabled mutagens, o wise woman!
Brilliant storytelling. She even, actually, applauds, a twinkle in her eye.
"Mayhem, murder and mystery. Beautiful. That's worth a secret or two, indeed.

Sure. Alchemy can modify a body, temporarily or permanently. That's hardly even a secret. Of course, there are risks in such a procedure, whether it be through alchemic rites, potions, or other methods. What specifically are you interested in? I can't imagine that you think your voice needs any help at all."

No, thank you. I'll just rest a while.
Rest
in
peace

"Statement: It is good to hear that your work on the monastary is going well.
Query: Is there anything you need help with? This one might as well kill some time before the next life endangering mission.

Musing query: By the way, how does one advance up the ranks here anyway? This one would have expected three succesful mission to warrant some kind of rank increase, but apparently not."

"If you like, you can help hang the windows on the second floor. They're kinda slippery. If you don't tag them just right, then when they fly off their windowsills, they'll just keep going.
Rank? Hmmm. three successful missions is something. Did you encounter any complications? How did you distinguish yourself on these missions?
Of course, there are units within the Omega structure through which you can advance, if you are so inclined. My own unit could use your talents. We act as a sort of policing force within Omega. But, I hear that you are good with a more direct, more violent methodology as well. Perhaps we could persuade the higher ups to let you run a mission, as a sergeant pro tem.

or maybe you just need to make your case. The Man in Armor might have promoted you on the spot, had you asked while he was here."

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: November 04, 2016, 11:14:51 pm »

Ah, interesting. I'd love to hear more about this incident, but first I have a proposal to make. You see, I'm a scientist of sorts, and I happen to specialize in the creation, maintenance, and repair of constructs like your Pylon. Unfortunately, I've recently lost my lab and lack the funds to continue my work, but I believe you could provide me with the resources to do so, which I imagine would prove beneficial to both of us. Now, would one of you gentleman lead me to whomever I can discuss, and hopefully make this arrangement with?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 04, 2016, 11:22:10 pm »

Thaaaat will probably handle itself. Meanwhile, how often does it rain in a desert? As something that Might Be Sort Of Like A Terrapin Maybe, I should probably take this opportunity to take a swim while I still can.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 05, 2016, 10:43:49 am »

"I have heard of certain things - monster slayers, for instance, modified by alchemy to better do their jobs. Faster healing, better reflexes, superior strength - would you know of potions to make these possible? For you see, I am but one munchkin - even the weakest of bears is far stronger than I could ever hope to be, and even with certain magics an ogre teamster could make short work of me. I'd like something to help teach such creatures - bigjobs, as a departed associate used to say - a bit of humility. Pack a little more into this frame than mere biology would allow. Is this something you could help me with?"

Witcher secrets!

Thaaaat will probably handle itself. Meanwhile, how often does it rain in a desert? As something that Might Be Sort Of Like A Terrapin Maybe, I should probably take this opportunity to take a swim while I still can.

(("That's a tortoise. They live on land, they can't swim."))

Zormod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: November 05, 2016, 08:50:51 pm »

zzz...

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: November 06, 2016, 07:42:09 pm »

Dar'yajira sullenly wanders down to the new lake to examine it and the plants.  He'll try and figure out what happened to create the lake, and study the plants.  Does this new bloom of life seem temporary?

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 06, 2016, 08:05:54 pm »

If bck at base try and get a magic leg to replace the broken one, then go find the hawt half? dragon ladeh!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: November 06, 2016, 08:22:32 pm »

Noir stretches blinking slowly quiet and she goes to lean agasint a wall.
Mediate.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 06, 2016, 09:19:20 pm »

Ah, interesting. I'd love to hear more about this incident, but first I have a proposal to make. You see, I'm a scientist of sorts, and I happen to specialize in the creation, maintenance, and repair of constructs like your Pylon. Unfortunately, I've recently lost my lab and lack the funds to continue my work, but I believe you could provide me with the resources to do so, which I imagine would prove beneficial to both of us. Now, would one of you gentleman lead me to whomever I can discuss, and hopefully make this arrangement with?
"They always take us for suckers, the new guys."
"Oh hush. You were young once."
"I was never young."
"You used to think ears were leeches that were stuck on your head, slowly sucking your brains out."
"What?! I never!"
"It was hilarious. You'd pull at them and cry, until yur mother smacked you upside the head. she said it knocked some sense into you, and you believed that's how she kept the leeches from sucking out your brains."
"You shut up! I'll clobber you a good one!"
"Look, kid, this could go on a while. Let's be honest here. We're all in this place because we made a mess out of ourselves somehow. What did you do, anyway? More importantly, what do you think you're gonna do with whatever we might be able to provide you?"

You go down to Lake Nova and settle carefully into it. Turns out, you float well enough, though it is awkward paddling along, trying to keep your nostrils above water. Fortunately, it's shallow enough for you to stand in most places, so you don't fear drowning. it's ... actually kinda relaxing.

"I have heard of certain things - monster slayers, for instance, modified by alchemy to better do their jobs. Faster healing, better reflexes, superior strength - would you know of potions to make these possible? For you see, I am but one munchkin - even the weakest of bears is far stronger than I could ever hope to be, and even with certain magics an ogre teamster could make short work of me. I'd like something to help teach such creatures - bigjobs, as a departed associate used to say - a bit of humility. Pack a little more into this frame than mere biology would allow. Is this something you could help me with?"

Witcher secrets!

(("That's a tortoise. They live on land, they can't swim."))
"Strength, reflexes, healing? Oh yes, I think that could be done. Oh, it would take a mighty potion to make yo ustrong as a bear though. Reflexes are your best bet I think. A permanently improved healing factor has consequences. usually this involves increased metabolism, sometimes it means rapid aging, other times, I've seen creatures suddenly grow out of control, like they were healing wounds nonstop, until they became unrecognizable globs of flesh. I don't even know if they had enough mind left to be horrified at what they had become.
Oh. Would you like to meet one of those?"

zzz...
Not breathing, you cannot snore. Not really. probably for the bbest, as yo uare underwater and all.

Dar'yajira sullenly wanders down to the new lake to examine it and the plants.  He'll try and figure out what happened to create the lake, and study the plants.  Does this new bloom of life seem temporary?
Dar sits at the edge of the lake and feels the life energy of the place. the newness, the calm, the happiness of the various beings. it all seems surreal. And, as he looks up at the cliffs and sees how dry the upper parts already seem to be, he grows more and more certain that the energy is leaking back out again. Where is it going? Why? Will any remain? Somehow, Dar hopes that at least some of the change is permanent, but he is uncertain. This lake will be gone before long, that he knows. but will the water simply drain into the thirsty ground and nourish the world below, or will it radiate out of reality altogether? Those questions are beyond Dar's current knowledge. Dar looks down, following, in his mind's eye, the path of the water into the rock. He drifts down into the darkness below, into the hard, cold place where the sun never touches, and he shivers.

A splash in the lake draws his attention back to the surface, and he shakes off the strange coldness as he glances up at Omega at play.

If bck at base try and get a magic leg to replace the broken one, then go find the hawt half? dragon ladeh!
Got your leg. As for the dragon girl, you're on your own there.

Noir stretches blinking slowly quiet and she goes to lean agasint a wall.
Mediate.
I'll assume you mean meditate. You lean against a thorny vine and get poked rather uncomfortably, breaking your concentration. Ugh.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: November 06, 2016, 09:46:15 pm »

Jack tests his new leg for a bit before going off looking for Noir
Sneak up on Noir and give her a hug!
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 194