Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 285145 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #1335 on: August 28, 2016, 05:53:21 pm »

Actually, Syv makes a decent point. How's the pacing and threat level for you all? I could up both a notch if the game is lagging a bit. For the temple robbers thread, it would primarily be about how I organize the turns, I think, while for the other team, it would be more of an increase in the immediacy of most threats, and perhaps the scale. This last battle was, from the npcs guiding you guys' point of view, an unexpected event that was secondary to the overall mission. This was a side stop.
I can't speak for the other mission, but ours seems to be coming along just fine.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: August 28, 2016, 06:10:02 pm »

Question for Ozarck, since ER's ended and I can now dedicate the mental energy that went into creating and running Xan's personality into something else: would a potato be an acceptable creature?

Specifically an evil giant (like basketball sized) talking potato with arms and legs.

https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/7-24/hbQG8BK9Zm-4.png
http://www.scaryforkids.com/pics/funny-scary-pictures-11.jpg

Think a mix of this.

Would that be a thing I could do? Homocidal potato?

EDIT: I would also be okay with something else such as an avocado or a pumpkin, just so long as it's round, no bigger than a cat, and looks terrifying if given a maw of sharp teeth.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 06:15:10 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: August 28, 2016, 06:40:32 pm »

((Murderous choko! Murderous choko! Those things look scary enough to begin with! :D))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: August 28, 2016, 07:00:32 pm »

I'm going to need some time to decide on Egan's character. it's a neat concept. The creature is a direct counter to: Clunkers, The Eye, Ebony,  Samuel, Solam, the Omega Brand, the Omega Legion, and the Kingdom. it's rejection of the unnatural could be a powerful weapon as well as a powerful defense against all kinds of things. I see that it appears to be kept within character limits by it's weak body, however. A glass cannon. Or dried leaf nihilist. Sophist?

I see nothing wrong with Xan's concept of an insane vegetable, with the exception that I hate those videos that put human mouths (and eyes) on other things. So, don't link those, or describe your potato as having a human mouth (and/or human eyes), else risk the wrath of the universe.

The linked pictures are fine, however.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: August 28, 2016, 07:04:54 pm »

Yes, I decided not to mention it outright, lest I give you more reason to reject it, but I was inspired by the talk of countering various magics in my last mission, and wondered what would happen if I made a character that could reject the meaning of the Omega brand.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: August 28, 2016, 07:12:48 pm »

Oh no human eyes here - I was inspired by ... well, I can't link to it even though the specific strip is SFW, but ... an Oglaf strip about a talking avocado.

Only, of course, homocidal. Like if Belkar from OOTS was a vegetable.
Sig! Onol

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: August 28, 2016, 07:56:51 pm »

Huh.  What would happen if Egan's character disbelieved Dar'yajira's intelligence?  Would he go unconcious for the duration, have his intelligence reduced to that of a normal cat for the duration, or be permanently killed/disenchanted?  Judging from the character's backstory, its disbelief magic works fine on druidic magic, and Dar's mind is really just a druidic enchantment.

Xan, would your character have any powers beyond the avocado's, I.E. being able to do something beyond running around biting people (and perhaps making their hair fabulous too)?  Or would it really just be an easily killed anklebiter?  I... honestly, while good for a cheap laugh, that character idea is quite disappointing compared to Xan.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: August 28, 2016, 07:59:56 pm »

Oh no human eyes here - I was inspired by ... well, I can't link to it even though the specific strip is SFW, but ... an Oglaf strip about a talking avocado.

Only, of course, homocidal. Like if Belkar from OOTS was a vegetable.
that strip isn't safe for work if I remember correctly
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 28, 2016, 08:06:54 pm »

Xan, would your character have any powers beyond the avocado's, I.E. being able to do something beyond running around biting people (and perhaps making their hair fabulous too)?  Or would it really just be an easily killed anklebiter?  I... honestly, while good for a cheap laugh, that character idea is quite disappointing compared to Xan.
You may be forgetting Xan's humble origins as an insane homocidal child from a colony who thought he was dead and had a corpse mother named Blonko. He started out as nothing more than an easily killed anklebiter himself.

No, 'homocidal round vegetable' is just my base concept. I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to take Xantato (working title), but I'm gestating creativity in my brain gizzard as we speak.
Sig! Onol

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: August 28, 2016, 08:28:09 pm »

Yes, I decided not to mention it outright, lest I give you more reason to reject it, but I was inspired by the talk of countering various magics in my last mission, and wondered what would happen if I made a character that could reject the meaning of the Omega brand.
And you thought poor, easily manipulated Ozarck would fail to spot such a risk? Actually, that possibility has been in my mind since before the OP. So the fact that it might counter the Brand is not exactly cause for rejection. But the character as a whole is a challenging concept, like syvarris' knife character.

Huh.  What would happen if Egan's character disbelieved Dar'yajira's intelligence?  Would he go unconcious for the duration, have his intelligence reduced to that of a normal cat for the duration, or be permanently killed/disenchanted?  Judging from the character's backstory, its disbelief magic works fine on druidic magic, and Dar's mind is really just a druidic enchantment.
I was going to answer this question, but I think it would be better to not give the GM's Word on this, as it would affect IC behavior. Dar would not know the answer to that.
Dar would believe, however, that Druidic magic is "the essence of nature."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: August 28, 2016, 08:45:06 pm »

I will say, however, that I intended disbelief to be a temporary effect. Myself can't actually turn a sword into a stick, it can merely believe that the sword is, in fact, a stick, and fool the universe as well. So if I disbelieved Dar's intelligence, Dar would become a normal, natural cat. But as soon as I turned my attention to something else or otherwise stopped perceiving Dar as a normal cat, you would go back to normal.
Essentially, Myself believes that it's the universe, and anything that it believes is true. By believing something is true, it becomes true from its perspective, and magic makes it partially true from everyone else's perspective.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: August 29, 2016, 03:31:20 am »

((are you going to join the mission in progress? Feel free to teleport over. I can stuff you in a closet like I did with Spaz.))
((I'm not sure, would I have any IC reason to do so? I don't think Thrips has much idea of what's even going on...))

Grimacing and clutching his almost non-existent stomach, Thrips gets to his feet and glances unenthusiastically over the food still on offer.
An idea slowly begins to occur to him... a somewhat nerve-wracking one, but who knows, it might be worth it. Or maybe get him in trouble...

Try and work up the courage to speak to whoever's working in the kitchen and volunteer my services as a kitchenhand.
Offer to make some less-horrible bread, for starters.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 29, 2016, 08:19:25 am »

I am leaning toward allowing Egan's character as is. In retrospect, it is not as powerful as it first appears, and contains within itself enough limits to be a character rather than a plot device, I believe.

I think I want a full vote on this one though.
Everyone please pm me a vote of "let him in, don't really care, or plz no."
here are the issues:

strengths:
This character has an ability to render many forms of magic and technology null, at least temporarily.
This character can potentially interfere with the function of some of your characters directly
There is a meta aspect to the character - a tinkering with certain game mechanics.

Weaknesses:
The character is made of leaves and air.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 29, 2016, 10:24:03 am »

Another weakness is that it's almost entirely incapable of actually harming another creature. It's combat powers are limited to defending itself and weakening other's defences.
When I first thought this up, it was going to slaughter the ones who created it, but then I realized that it has no deadly magic and is very flimsy in melee. :P

EDIT: Oh, also, can't counter druidic or fae magic / creatures, unless they make heavy use of symbols. I had assumed that the elves who made it used some other magic.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:28:28 am by Egan_BW »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: August 29, 2016, 11:37:32 am »

Another weakness is that it's almost entirely incapable of actually harming another creature. It's combat powers are limited to defending itself and weakening other's defences.
When I first thought this up, it was going to slaughter the ones who created it, but then I realized that it has no deadly magic and is very flimsy in melee. :P

EDIT: Oh, also, can't counter druidic or fae magic / creatures, unless they make heavy use of symbols. I had assumed that the elves who made it used some other magic.
They did. You already said what magic they used. They used Ritual Magic.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 194