Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 194

Author Topic: Omega Legion: Omega Base  (Read 285343 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Legion
« Reply #1860 on: February 01, 2017, 08:57:25 pm »

Oh sure, he's pretty lenient when it comes to the death of characters. But that's just natural. He's not in it to kill the character, he just enjoys putting them in bad situations and watch them squirm. Extra points if he can somehow make them choose to be put in the bad situation themselves.

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: February 01, 2017, 09:57:07 pm »

Just going to pop in to say that everything in our thread was hunky dory until the spiders.

Fucking spiders, eight legged little bastards.

PW's christmas thing was a bit of a monkey's paw. But that was exactly what I expected from him. Maybe it's because I was in ER so I got to know his style a bit, but with pw you never get a positive thing without a lot of strings attached. Ugly, evil, occasionally !!fun!! strings.

You should also be wary of opening doors when PW is the gm, just saying.
I'm GMing for some friends and I'm taking note's to add some extra !FUN!
if you want some !FUN! and !FUN!ny cursed and magical Items I can give you a link and pm you some stuff
That would be cool thanks
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: February 02, 2017, 07:16:29 pm »

Okay. Here is the short list of what I have been hearing:

The start of this mission as bad: no information was given before hand, and bad things kept pushing the team to rush their actions.
The Christmas Event was very unpopular
the GM has failed not clearly communicate in a number of areas:
1) describing the location and showing players where there character is at any given time
2) the results of rolls, especially when they make a character act in a way they wouldn't normally
3) the existence of hidden rolls, and their effect on everything
4) describing events that affect characters in a story promoting way, and so that the player can easily find events that affect themselves.
5) the aforementioned abyssmal failure to provide a mission briefing.

And finally, in responding to the complaints I asked for, it has been pointed out that I tended to shift blame to the players.

I am also hearing a general preference for moving forward from here, rather than doing a retcon, though there were some votes that way as well.

Some GM responses:
Long past due and probably will make you even more irritated with how I started this mission:
This is because  promised several times to give this briefing and failed each time, including last week. I am very sorry.

Christmas Event: I am open to suggestions on mitigating the catastrophe, though most of you seem willing to leave it as is. PM me suggestions. I am thinking along the lines of side quests and Omega interference to counteract shenanigans, more than straight up GM fiat or retcon.

1) I will try to make it clear where each character is, but I cannot promise to give a detaild rundown every turn of where every character is. That's a lot of work, and may add to the confusion. I am open to suggestions.
2) I will try to make sure you guys know when your character is acting in ways they didn't want to act, and why(at least a hint, if the actual why is unknown).
3) Some of these will remain hidden. I can't roll a 1 on a roll that was intended to give you information yo didn't already have and then give you that information anyway. I'e' If I want to give a hint to some player who is struggling with something, I often roll for it. a successful roll gets a hint, a failed roll isn't shown. Otherwise, if it is reasonable for hte player to know a roll was made, I will try to announce that.
4) This one is a little hard for me to resolve. The easiest way is to write the turns all in one paragraph, describing each character's action in a lump. Then, everyone reads everything. If I respond instead, as we have been, to each player individually, I would have to write redundant information in each action. And I guarantee I would miss some.  Ihave suggested before that everyone should read each others actions to get an overall picture of what is going on. So, besides writing a big lump altogether, I don't have any good ideas on how to do this except with liberal use of bold text and large fonts. I am open to suggestions.
5)If I don't provide a thorough briefing before any mission from here forward, feel free to refuse to act until the briefing happens. and until all questions that the briefing raises have been answered. Hold me accountable.

All gameplay problems that have caused unhappiness are my own mistakes, and not the fault of the players (with the possible exception of player v. player actions). This probably doesn't go far enough in taking responsibility, but it's the best I got for now. Brain hurts. Tired. Can't think of a proper apology.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »

I think the root of problem number 1 is not that you didn't remind people where they were, but that nobody really understood the space we were in. This is because, honestly, Lathal is rather boring. It's easy for people to simplify in their minds several large, empty, metal, precarious rooms as one large, empty, metal, precarious space.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: February 05, 2017, 11:58:47 am »

It always sucks when restricting yourself to character knowlege mandates making very poor decisions.
Like the one Aylia just unknowingly made.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: February 05, 2017, 12:06:11 pm »

She's getting better at handling the cart, and sending the star sprite for communication gets you guys a lot further than just landing back with Cho and Ebony. it's not nearly as bad a decision as it might seem at first glance.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: February 05, 2017, 12:30:29 pm »

*shudders* - I hate doing this even more, but Oz, Aylia just unknowingly directed the sprite to the zombies, instead of the team. Im hoping its smart enough to handle it, but...
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: February 05, 2017, 03:36:15 pm »

Oh right, that. Again, not as bad an issue as it appears.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: February 06, 2017, 12:51:35 am »

I dunno, I kinda liked the Christmas thing. Didn't seem like much more of a meatgrinder than this game normally is and I got a cool rattle out of it.

And I think you can show failed perception rolls and such as well: you can either roll perception when nothing is actually there to offset its tells or roll three dice, display all three rolls but don't tell which one you randomly chose as the actual roll.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:36 am »

eh, no real point in showing perception rolls if the shown rolls are unreliable, and its game-affecting to show the rolls reliably, so i see no reason to show them at all.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 06, 2017, 12:59:05 pm »

showing perception rolls kinda defeats the purpose of having perception rolls.

Hide the rolls, but give more hints when they happen.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: February 06, 2017, 08:29:59 pm »

I'll throw my two cents in and say that I also think perception rolls should be hidden, except on success of course.
Pretty much my opinion. Similar with things that say, charisma. If you show a 1 on a perception roll, and see that, you'll know you're missing something - which may lead to meta, even unintentional. Similar with charisma rolls - if you don't show those, you can have someone act like they've been convinced of something, when really now the player assumes they can trust them.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: February 06, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »

I'll throw my two cents in and say that I also think perception rolls should be hidden, except on success of course.
Pretty much my opinion. Similar with things that say, charisma. If you show a 1 on a perception roll, and see that, you'll know you're missing something - which may lead to meta, even unintentional. Similar with charisma rolls - if you don't show those, you can have someone act like they've been convinced of something, when really now the player assumes they can trust them.
that charisma fail has been used a few times. The one I remember off the top of my head was in the mercenary thread, with spaz' character. he tried bullshitting the mercs and in the ned it didn't turn out well for him. It was a good effort though, and I thought it had a chance of ending the mission favorably. It just didn't work out that way.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: February 09, 2017, 10:18:44 am »

So umm... Can cho fly?

I mean I know he doesn't have wings, but bug magic let's him do bug stuff and so gosh darn many of them can fly...

Could he just magically grow a pair when the need arises?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 194