Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Bedrooms vs. Dormitories  (Read 9633 times)

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedrooms vs. Dormitories
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2015, 12:47:08 am »

What is the functional difference between designating a room with a bunch of beds as a "dormitory", vs just having a room full of roomless beds?
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2015, 10:45:43 am »

What is the functional difference between designating a room with a bunch of beds as a "dormitory", vs just having a room full of roomless beds?
I think (not 100% certain) that Dwarves will only use a bed which has been designated in some fashion, be it room or dormitory.  I've never actually left a bed 'blank', so I don't know for sure.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2015, 11:13:32 am »

I left a few beds laying around, built but unroomed, and seen dwarves sleeping in them, and they get the same thought they get from sleeping in a dorm. I suppose building dorms will make them more likely to sleep in them, but i do not know for sure as i don't build dormitory's.

In regard to Bedrooms vs dorms, i always try and make sure my dwarves all have good-quality individual bedrooms(though i sometimes forget), as there is a great happiness boost from doing so. Given the amount of crazy stuff that happens to your dwarfs, and that if they get stressed enough even more crazy stuff happens, i belive this moderate boost of happiness is than the worth the effort. The effort required is rather small in any case, mining levels up fast and your carpenters/masons/metalworkers are generally pumping out tons of furniture by the time they get to near-legendary anyway. Designating the bedrooms(and worse adding furniture)takes some time, but not a truely great amount, and while i have not tried this myself i believe you could automate this with Macros(something i aim to try with my next fortress.)

So in conclusion bedrooms are the way to go if you want to play it safe, of course, often one does not want to play it safe ;D 

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2015, 11:54:04 am »

Bedrooms is good for the more useful dwarves, dormitory will work just fine for haulers.

Although I tend to give dwarves bedrooms anyway.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2015, 07:04:00 am »

Currently I have one big room with beds 2 spaces apart and cabinets in between. Every bed is designated as a 3x3 bedroom. Dwarves don't need privacy. It combines the positive thoughts of individual rooms with the vampire exposing ability of dorms.

MobRules

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 08:16:57 am »

I think (not 100% certain) that Dwarves will only use a bed which has been designated in some fashion, be it room or dormitory.  I've never actually left a bed 'blank', so I don't know for sure.

In my experience, dwarves seem just as happy to sleep in an undesignated bed as in a dorm -- I stopped designating dorms, because the designation didn't seem to have any effect whatsoever.

I usually get them all bedrooms eventually (sometimes with walls, sometimes without), but a room full of undesignated beds is a useful stopgap.
Ninja dragons! Protect the masterwork roasts!
Is this biome reanimating? I really don't want to know what happens when "absurd numbers of megabeasts" is combined with "reanimating biomes".
Pages: 1 [2]