Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!  (Read 49828 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: hoburgs away!
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2016, 01:13:18 pm »

How much crap do you have in that castle?

I knew I was in trouble when you managed to steal my sappers, but I didn't think it'd be this bad.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: hoburgs away!
« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »

Lots.

--

I suppose since we're soldiering on with this short-lived (ha, I kill me!) farce, I need to spend at least a day or two trying to get a sub for Kundorf, as letting the second biggest nation chain-stale into oblivion makes the outcome even more of a foregone conclusion than I already think it is. Soooooo... looking for sub for a strong late-game hoburg nation...

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Looking for sub again
« Reply #347 on: May 03, 2016, 07:34:53 pm »

Seriously, if we just want to call it (especially given Kundorf's recent string of stales - bringing them up to an impressive 13 between their two owners) that'd be fine by me. I'm fairly confident that I can wear down the opposition - I mean, heck, given a little while longer I'll eventually even have astral mages around to stop all those mind attack shenanigans. 

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 03, 2016, 08:46:32 pm »

Let's be democratic - do either of the other two want to end this? I'm still pretty sure its outcome is a foregone conclusion, as AlStar can attest by both knowing Swoeitmer's strength and having held my graph site for a bit; the only question is how much we all irritate each other before it's done.

So, what say the Silent Plurality? End or slog? I vote end (not only am I falling behind on NationGen timesinking (3.5 or so new races started the last patch, 0 finished!), but as Elmokki suckered me into working on content dev for ItemGen I'm now slacking off on IG timesinking too). It's kinda painful for me to keep going, as I'm firmly convinced my nation was the worst of any generated, and only my wily, conniving proclivities let me last long enough to kinda sorta vaguely compensate for some of their profound awfulness. However, if we have a split vote, I'll suck it up and slog on. The spirit is spongy and bruised, but the flesh is willing.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2016, 12:27:09 am »

I don't really mind : we can end it.
I mean, surely we need a all VS 1, and won't really be able to.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2016, 02:13:33 am »

With the information I have on hand, and the current state of events, I agree that almost anything I do would be too little too late. While I normally would try to go out with a bang, I just don't see a path.

(Also I would really hate to drag on the match for the sole sake of just wanting to hold out until the bitter end.)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2016, 08:31:04 am »

...and so we have another case of "I love Shahrivar 'cause it's so pretty; I hate Sharivar because it's so unevenly interconnected..."

Good game, all. We were working with varying degrees of garbage, some of us moreso than others, but we made a long, drawn-out mess of things. :)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 19: Most Worstest Things: Game over, man!
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2016, 10:06:09 am »

Does anyone want to offer up commentary about fun/awful story events they got? I had the Living Lake give me 5-7 permanent water elementals and boost a W3 to W4, blood hunting boost a B3 to B4, got a free Animist who kept me rolling in Vine Ogres most of the game, got a Plague Cult leader and a bunch of Fellows, and last but not least got a first-year werewolf that ended up spawning significant numbers of wolves over the course of the game. Aside from that it was all those damned throne-spawned canids and undead attacks...

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2016, 10:41:14 am »

I had a Monster mother Lamia story event. From the text of the events, I thought her armies would have attacked the neighbouring provinces, but they didn't (even though she lived for ~2 years).
Oh, and I had the usual Adventurer Heros attack (you know, with the Troll and the others...), in a province where I was building a fort :(

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: May 04, 2016, 11:12:33 am »

I certainly got a nice leg up on the competition - the nature of a non-wraparound map already favors anyone in a corner (which I was), especially when that corner is hemmed in by mountains (which I was), and the mountain passes which should have given multiple avenues of attack on my nation were permanently closed because the Throne of Winter was sitting right there. Then, my opposing nations, who should've kept me penned in failed in their jobs -  Noirbach headed exclusively East and South, to the point of leaving the province next to his capital still independent even after the first year; Simbaburg did head in my direction, but our expansion parties ran into one another, and his lost; finally, Scheiwald staled a bunch of turns initially, then went AI early - all of which conspired to give me unfettered access to both the NW and W mountains (as well as Scheiwald's capital.) From there, I had a massive secure base from which to grow the blood hunting operations which allowed me to mass demon knights (and later, various major demons.)

To his credit, Simbaburg did seem to notice the threat, but his attack was short lived, and he folded almost immediately upon my counterattack, also going AI. (Hilariously, his capital ended up falling pretty much the same turn as Scheiwald, since the Scheiwald AI was a master at massing chaff, and all my troops who were going to help the siege had to be turned to fight Simbaburg, and later Noirbach.)

As far as events - we had basically none all game. Notables included taking over the Throne of Bones shortly after Simbaburg activated it, which ended up giving us some unique-looking Mound Kings (without the horse), some undead chaff, and a necromancer; and a blood mage event which gave us a 3B mage, but lost us a province to a swarm of independent Devils and Fiery Imps.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:00 pm »

(especially given Kundorf's recent string of stales - bringing them up to an impressive 13 between their two owners)

Man, that's lame. The game was Kundorf's to lose. I got eliminated early by them, but even at that point it was already sad to see Boksi giving up at least a dozen provinces (that I could personally see with my scouts) during early game due to stales. Hell, Kundorf sat on my helpless capital for a couple stale turns that could have provided solid gold and gem income.

Their early game expansion options were absolutely killer, and there's no reason they shouldn't have brought disturbing momentum to the mid-game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »

I managed to get a plague cult event, other than that, nothing interesting.

Really I feel my biggest failure here was I have no clue how to leverage glamoured troops, sure I lacked stealth which I thought was implied by glamour... Also, I tend to lean more towards army support strategies... Which is horrible when hoburgs are your troop line.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 04, 2016, 08:38:52 pm »

Then, my opposing nations, who should've kept me penned in failed in their jobs -  Noirbach headed exclusively East and South, to the point of leaving the province next to his capital still independent even after the first year;

Hey now, I was busy killing off The Great Il Palazzo.  He would have won if I hadn't, and you all know it!  You should all be thanking me!  :P

Eh, I kept meaning to go West, but my expansions in other directions kept me occupied.  I goofed on the bless too (sacreds that turn into Earth Elementals as second form deserved more than an Astral bless).  And I put wayy too much faith in my Allfather pretender.  If I had upped the sacred bless by using a sleeping pretender, things could have gone much differently.

...grr, now I'm pissed enough to almost want to play another round.  Almost

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 04, 2016, 08:58:51 pm »

Man, that's lame. The game was Kundorf's to lose. I got eliminated early by them, but even at that point it was already sad to see Boksi giving up at least a dozen provinces (that I could personally see with my scouts) during early game due to stales. Hell, Kundorf sat on my helpless capital for a couple stale turns that could have provided solid gold and gem income.

Their early game expansion options were absolutely killer, and there's no reason they shouldn't have brought disturbing momentum to the mid-game.
For what it's worth, I totally agree - especially with Hellheart behind them (no offense to Boksi, but from what Hellheart told me after taking control, it sounds like there were many mistakes made) - those sacreds were sick. Expensive and cap-only, but I wasn't able to kill them by any means outside of expensive blood magic combat spells. They ate my mechanical troops for breakfast - we're talking like 65-0 losses. Of course, my main offensive magic was fire, which has never been great at killing high HP, high armor troops.... still, they were terrors, and I totally agree that a non-stalling early game should have seen them control so much of the map that I'd have never had a chance.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2016, 08:15:07 am »

What did that sacred look like?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25