Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Reign of Rot Rebooted (Day 1/Fear of whats next)  (Read 8309 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Reign of Rot Rebooted (Day 1/Fear of whats next)
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:34 pm »

The air is so much cleaner, now.

There aren't enough people left to dirty it up again. The great machines of society have stopped, the grand mechanisms of industry and economy coming to a shuddering halt. Nature is slowly inching back from the brink-even now, the great Whales are beginning to repopulate the seas...the Timber Wolves howl and prey once more in the hills of places once known as 'Wisconsin' and 'Minnesota'...the former United States is becoming the wild, dangerous, untamed place it was once, and perhaps always was-and now, it will be again. The Rotters don't care about animals. One of those odd things. They usually ignore them, though Rotter Animals are not unheard of...

This probably matters little to the subjects of our story-a small band of tempest tossed men and women who have survived, despite all that has been thrown against them until now. Most of them can't remember a time when they ever felt safe. There had always been the War. Tarrak vessels, shaped like the blades they were named for, streaking from the sky...sowing death and destruction...Tarraks Ground Troops-looking so much like us-dropping down in the millions...their massive war machines still little the world, like so many crushed metal insects...one wonders if the victory was worth the cost. Or if we truly did win, or merely enter another phase of the invasion...

It is a time for prayers...for the wanderers of the former United States of America, are following a star.

Chuck's radio, usually so silent these days, recently came to life as they sat around the campfire, swapping stories and enjoying their meager supplies. A desperate message has been repeating, over and over.

{...Pellie Island...come to Stone Beach...we have food, shelter...evacuation...to a safe place...we have...the cure...come to Stone Beach...via Gunman point...stay off the water...pirates...raiders...dead things in the water...come to Stone Beach...we are the DEQ, and we are here to help...}

The group huddles around a tattered county map, huddling in their shanty camp-sheltered under the still standing East Point bridge.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~aleskiw/maps/images/PI2005.jpg ((OOC: You guys start in square 7B))

...three weeks of dangerous travel on foot, at best. Maybe for nothing...maybe for everything...

A can of beans is warmed over a tiny fire. A sewing needle tightens another pair of already worn boots. Decisions have to be made. Time is pressing.

Eleven people gather around a fire for the discussion. There was a few more the week before...and even more, the week before that...

It seems no matter where you go, you are being picked off one-by-one. The agreement is that a permanent shelter is needed-a place to secure, to fortify against the coming winter months. This place could be exactly what you are looking for...or merely the place where your journey ends.

The Old Man is the first to speak. "...The Government leveled most of the bridges we've seen. Why are these still standing? Maybe this DEQ is a government agency...maybe, they left this place intact for a reason." He says, warming his hands by the fire, and snatching occasional looks at Claire-as if she might vanish into thin air if he looks away too long.

Millie merely laughs. "Any, maybe they decided this place was a lost cause and saved their bombs for more useful targets. Like us. We know the government is just as afraid of the militias as the rotters...too bad the President got himself eaten, or I'd never vote for him again."

The Fisherman merely grunts. "Whatever we do we're doing." He mutters.

Carolin pipes up last, enthusiastic as ever. "Strangely, I have to agree with Strong, here. We need to decide fast. We can't stay under this bridge forever-we're running out of food. I for one wonder why anyone would be dumb enough to broadcast their location to everyone like that...they must be more afraid of rotters than humans. While I can question the logic, it's the way things should be, right? We should pull together, rather than fighting one another for the scraps."

"Said, oh, everybody from the beginning of time. People are mean-people were mean before, and no ones mood has been improved quite some time."

"..also, Name is Trond, American girl..."

Turay skulks at the edge of the firelight-a pathetic spectacle, one he no doubt does to invoke pity.

As usual, the conversation seems to leave gaps for the more hardened survivors-Everett the Hunter, Bernice the Runner, Luke the Shooter, Max the self proclaimed Hero, Claire the Lifesaver and Chuck the Scout-all semi mocking titles given by Millie, true, but all decisions generally center on them...

((Btw, it's perfectly fine to not take the opportunity. I can freeform another adventure easily.))

Spoiler: NPC Allies (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luke Holiday (Stirk) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 12:25:25 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Reign of Rot Rebooted (Day 1/Decisions)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »

"Sounds like it could be a trap of sorts, but we cant exactly survive around here and we may aswell check it out anyways. Who knows, it could be true, there looks like theres an airforce base there."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 02:33:43 pm »

"But they could be commies, trying to steal our precious fluids. I think, we outta head to Mexico.  Plenty warm, and we can easily get back to America."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 03:02:28 pm »

"But they could be commies, trying to steal our precious fluids. I think, we outta head to Mexico.  Plenty warm, and we can easily get back to America."

Chuck glances at Trond upon mention of Commies, seeing how he reacts.

((can't really comment right now since I don't really know where we are. My google-fu is weak :( a search for Pellie Island wants to be corrected to Pelee Island, which is in Canada. Are we in Canada?))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 03:07:09 pm »

((*Googles* Its a fictional island, Hector. Its located in the Treaty States of Aultica.Your google-foo is weak  :P.))

"I'm....no longer confident in the ability of large groups to defend us. If its a government organization, it would be the Department of Environmental quality, probably the one I would least want by my side in a situation like this. Anyway, this isn't somewhere we want to be for the winter, and a random island isn't a great place to find air-force bases or weapon stockpiles. Heading south isn't a bad idea."

Luke pokes the fire with a stick, sending up sparks.

"On the other-hand, if we can't cross this island, we don't have any hope of making it far enough South to make a difference. The Rotter activity is also lower in the cold. If they can send out a constant radio wave, then they at least have some electricity. If it is a trap, then they at least have some stolen resources and enough weapons to feel confident in themselves. We would be able to clear them out with a little intelligence and explosives, since we can see 'em coming. The trip south would be easier then. If its not a trap? Then at least some of the stuff their tellin' us is a lie. Too good to be true. We can analyze the situation once we get there, best case we hold up for the winter, worst we take whatever supplies they are willing to give and set off before the water freezes. Best to go for it, I think."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

((You're somewhere ambiguous on the West Coast of the United States.))

Chuck glances at Trond upon mention of Commies, seeing how he reacts.

Trond doesn't seem to notice, or care...but he is listening. It's actually sort of creepy-a hulking, craggy man who looks he was carved from stone. Big, strong hands and a build the 49er's would have killed for. He rarely speaks, rarely even moves, but he always listens-and always remembers. When he sees Chuck looking, he looks him right back in the eye. Guy never backs down. It's fortunate he seems to lack the ambition, charisma, or desire to vie for leadership...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »

((well damn... that might explain why searching for "National Highway 13" gets a hit from India :))))

Chuck nods at Trond, then turns to address the others.

"Nothing to lose by checking it out. It's a long way there, so we can search for a place to hole up for the Winter on the way.

If we don't find anything that suits us, we'll have to be careful with these guys. Figure out what they are and what they want. Not a good idea to act without knowledge."
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 03:22:41 pm »

"Looking at the map some more, there is a ton of airports 'round here... I count three civilian, two of which are international, and two military... One of which is only about seven miles away, least if this map is realitivly up-to-date, which it probably isint. Still, worth a look, right?"
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 03:47:23 pm »

"I can see 'em. I just meant there aren't any left on the island. We did just fight a war against aliens, thus place doesn't strike me as tough enough to fight 'em off well enough to keep their airbases intact. A plane would be great to have, but none of us know how to fly one, let alone fix one. It would have to be a big one too, at least eleven seats, and we would have to crash land it whenever we wanted to touch down. High risk with low reward, those things are probably crawling with people trying to find somewhere to run. Might be worth it if we could find a pilot at this DEQ place, otherwise I'm against it."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 03:56:33 pm »

"I can see 'em. I just meant there aren't any left on the island. We did just fight a war against aliens, thus place doesn't strike me as tough enough to fight 'em off well enough to keep their airbases intact. A plane would be great to have, but none of us know how to fly one, let alone fix one. It would have to be a big one too, at least eleven seats, and we would have to crash land it whenever we wanted to touch down. High risk with low reward, those things are probably crawling with people trying to find somewhere to run. Might be worth it if we could find a pilot at this DEQ place, otherwise I'm against it."

"Just 'cause it's an airport, doesn't mean the only things there are planes. Military bases might have some weapons and/or ammunition.

I s'pose the best thing about it being on an island is there aren't gonna be that many people picking through the wreckage for gear. Makes it worth checking out."

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:59:01 pm »

"Hell, threres probably a bit of food still there even if the places where bombed to hell. Claire, any thoughts?"
Highly Opinionated Fool

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 04:16:55 pm »

"Just 'cause it's an airport, doesn't mean the only things there are planes. Military bases might have some weapons and/or ammunition.

I s'pose the best thing about it being on an island is there aren't gonna be that many people picking through the wreckage for gear. Makes it worth checking out."

"They are air force bases, most the weapons they got are too big to carry, let alone use. Probably have a small armory at best, and the soldiers probably took that with them when they left...one way or the other. And if we do put any stock in the radio, we got raiders and pirates who got here before we did. If we do end up finding any, they will probably be pointed at us."

"Hell, threres probably a bit of food still there even if the places where bombed to hell. Claire, any thoughts?"

"'Airforce' is hardly the first word that comes to my mind when I think 'places to find food'. Wait, I just remembered your Radio is two way, ain't it Chuck? We don't have to sit here speculating. We can ask the locals what the situation is like."

Luke pokes the fire again, keeping it burning hot.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 04:25:44 pm »

"There could be, I guess. Even if it's an air force base, it would have to have food for the people stationed there, right?"
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 04:33:04 pm »

"'Airforce' is hardly the first word that comes to my mind when I think 'places to find food'. Wait, I just remembered your Radio is two way, ain't it Chuck? We don't have to sit here speculating. We can ask the locals what the situation is like."

Luke pokes the fire again, keeping it burning hot.

Chuck shakes his head

"That one has to be put down to a vote. I'd prefer not to broadcast that we're here and plan to stay. Might even reveal our location. As you say, raiders and pirates...

I can try to clear up the signal, though. Might get us a better idea of what's happening."

Fiddle with the radio, going up and down the frequencies around the message in as small increments as possible to find a clearer signal.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 04:52:24 pm »

"'Airforce' is hardly the first word that comes to my mind when I think 'places to find food'."
"Military rations, plus whatever they would have used for normal meals. There may also be food destined for other bases still sitting there, but thats less probable."
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7