Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When you read RPGs do you read the fluff?

Always, it rounds out the setting
- 12 (38.7%)
Usually, as long as it isn't boring
- 12 (38.7%)
Depends on the book
- 4 (12.9%)
Sometimes, if I in the mood
- 1 (3.2%)
Never
- 2 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Do you read Pen and Paper RPG Fluff?  (Read 2159 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Do you read Pen and Paper RPG Fluff?
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:15:27 pm »

So I have read through pen and paper RPG books many times before and I kind of noticed something....

I never EVER read the fluff the first, second, or third time through.

It is usually something I only read on my 5th time through the book... and most of the time I find the fluff... unhelpful and it usually is a mildly uninteresting short story set within the setting (with HUGE exceptions... but remember I've read a LOT of books... not all from good systems. They all can't be oWoD)

But do you read the fluff?

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read Pen and Paper RPG Fluff?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:33:54 pm »

I think you should clarify what you consider as fluff.

I haven't picked up a game system or source book for a few decades, but when I did I would read everything.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »

I think you should clarify what you consider as fluff.

I haven't picked up a game system or source book for a few decades, but when I did I would read everything.

Those long story sections that aren't "the main story" or "setting story" they are just random stories that pad out the book.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 01:46:03 pm »

I didn't vote but I always read everything. I start out cover-to-cover and then go back and reread select sections when necessary.

I'm discounting Immortal: The Invisible War and Eoris Essence from the "read everything" list, however, on the grounds that they're mind-numbing, the former being moreso than the latter.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 05:01:02 pm »

I read through the fluff more often than actually play the game
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Audioworm333

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: weirdness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 05:33:20 pm »

I love Warhammer 40k... for the lore. I've never actually played the game. Although I have played Dawn of War and Space Marine...
I didn't really understand why I died until I discovered I was teleporting my own spine into my enemies' body as a primary way of attack.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:58:13 pm »

I voraciously read everything, then gripe loudly about the stupid inconsistencies.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2015, 11:09:54 pm »

I love Warhammer 40k... for the lore. I've never actually played the game. Although I have played Dawn of War and Space Marine...

Yeah, same here. Other than Chaos Gate, Rites of War, and a promotional event several years ago at a comic book shop in Cherry Hill I've never played either, but I love the setting.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:31:38 am »

I read through the fluff more often than actually play the game

An unfortunate curse of mine as well, due to the lack of a local game group.

Reading the fluff is necessary to some extent, to get the feel of the game world and play you character (or GM) better.

As for WH40K, it's possible to play it over the Internet without owning any minis using Vassal40k. It's pretty nifty.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 09:34:17 am by Greenbane »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2015, 12:23:03 pm »

I've never played 40k because the game looks pretty boring. Maybe I'd have more fun if I were actually playing, but just from videos of other people playing it doesn't look all that fun. The fluff was pretty awesome, though, and I've enjoyed every 40k game I've played. I even like the minis, and I wouldn't mind a nice 40k diorama for the coffee table.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 12:35:39 pm »

I've never played 40k because the game looks pretty boring. Maybe I'd have more fun if I were actually playing, but just from videos of other people playing it doesn't look all that fun. The fluff was pretty awesome, though, and I've enjoyed every 40k game I've played. I even like the minis, and I wouldn't mind a nice 40k diorama for the coffee table.

It is all the book keeping and measurements that will get you.

It is the only game I can think of where a projector is helpful.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 01:03:57 pm »

Some P&P RPGs have some really interesting background and lore, so yes I tend to read it all. The various 40k games are good examples, and there's also Eclipse Phase which goes into tremendous detail about the setting. I'm a lore junkie :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2015, 01:14:59 pm »

I always read the fluff of P&P RPGs, mostly because I almost never get a chance to play them.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 02:29:32 pm »

It's boring to watch unless you're super into it, but even as a casual player it's great fun to play once you get the system down after a few games. I played it a few times just out of curiosity and love of the lore/video games and next thing I know, Games Workshop + Vallejo paints owns my soul and wallet.

Some P&P RPGs have some really interesting background and lore, so yes I tend to read it all. The various 40k games are good examples, and there's also Eclipse Phase which goes into tremendous detail about the setting. I'm a lore junkie :P

Eclipse Phase is exceptional for this! I love the system and the lore. It's unfortunate I can't get my local play group to try it out. They're so used to Savage Worlds, D6 , and D20 that they whole d100 thing just weirds them out. Plus the setting isn't their cup of tea. It is kinda weird to anyone not used to similar things.

Directly On Topic: I read stuff front to back. I'm a notorious rules lawyer in my play group, even when I tone it down, but I love fluff just as much as crunch.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:31:59 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 03:09:40 pm »

They all can't be oWoD)
This is specifically the example I thought of. The stories in all the cWoD WtA tribebooks were pretty great, (except that I found the Children of Gaia one a little too slow and pondering, which I guess makes sense if you think about the tribe itself.) and in fact, after reading the opening short story in the Bone Gnawer tribebook (Falling Down) I immediately had the urge to create the character I've been playing for the past few months.

I'm just a little disappointed that the 20th Anniversary editions haven't really been going with the same tradition. (With the exception of the V20 Lore of the Clans, which has some excellent short stories in it.)