Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 4019 Holy Armok WHAT a mistake!!  (Read 2286 times)

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
4019 Holy Armok WHAT a mistake!!
« on: December 18, 2015, 10:48:44 am »

The fort Anvillocked was founded 24 years ago, and in that time it has grown *large*.
Since we're finally running low on trees, it was decided that everyone deserved a masterwork bed. No problem. Let's do this!! Wait. We need masterwork stone doors too!! Ok.  No problem!! 
Lets do this!!!
Problem!!! How to leave the masterwork doors, beds in place. For 100 bedrooms. Ooh crap!
Solution...rip them all out, have a NONmasterwork bed/door stockpile next to depot!!! YAY!! Lets do this!!!
DONE!!! NO PROBLEM!! OK lets lets start replacing the doors and beds!!
HOLY ARMOK!!! Theese rooms are pigsties!!! No cabinets, clothes thrown everywhere!! Hmmn...
Rooms aren't owned cuz we took out the beds...I know!! LETS MASS DUMP THEM!!
 The designation is made and....nothing happens!! I wait and wait..nothing.
Well let's call it a nite, I'm tired. They must not dump owned clothes, ill figure it out tomorrow!!

Start up Df and totally forgot about not dumping owned clothes.
I think its finally time to add to the 1 3 tile wide entrance. Stairs are designated up towards the surface, and get built. Lets make 3 new 3 tile entrances..and widen the ONLY 3 wide entrance to 5..
What's this?? Why aren't the entrances being dug!? Why is the ONLY 3 wide entrance JAMMED with dwarves!!! WHY IS THE DEPOT SURROUNDED BY DWARVES!!!!
HOLY ARMOK!! WHY DO I *ONLY* HAVE 20 IDLERS!!!!

100 6*6 rooms *FILLED* with xclothesx !!!!!!!
Being taken out the ONLY 3 wide entrance.
To the 1 tile dump zone beside the depot.
By 561 dwarfs.
At 2 fps.
 OOPS ;)

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
Re: 4019 Holy Armok WHAT a mistake!!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »

You should put this in the facepalm thread so all the rest of us can avoid enjoy the mistake fun you've made.

RickRollYou2

• Bay Watcher
  • [START_BIOME:EARTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:14:33 pm »

By 561 dwarfs

That's crazy, and I applaud you for your patience. I usually cap at 110, because by then I usually have more than enough dwarves !!FUN!!.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:31:53 am »

Shortly after posting the entrances were finished, and the rooms emptied.
(The hunter asleep on the dump pile was amusing!! Hope he liked smelly socks  :P)
Now just 3 more levels of 100 rooms to go!

Protip: NEVER underestimate the power of 100/200/300+ idlers, even at 2fps!!
       (Just make SURE they have room to move!!!)

Sidenote: after dumping all those clothes, fps returned to its usual 3. So we'll see if clearing the other 3 levels helps. I doubt it will.

Goatmaan

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 08:22:33 pm »

561 dwarfs.
Holy shit that's a lot of dwarves. How do you manage so many?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 11:03:52 pm »

Seriously, what's your normal running FPS? (When they aren't all moving at once to dump stuff) I can't imagine having anything close to that many.

How do you play? I imagine there's a lot of multi-tasking involved.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 11:05:48 pm by Moonshadow101 »

Bwint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 06:15:12 pm »

Seriously, what's your normal running FPS? (When they aren't all moving at once to dump stuff) I can't imagine having anything close to that many.

How do you play? I imagine there's a lot of multi-tasking involved.

On my old (7-year-old) computer, I would get 2-5 FPS at about 150 dwarves. I would designate some tasks, then go make a drink... take a shower... read a little... and check every hour or so to see if something interesting happened.

I have a much newer computer now, and am excited to find out how many dwarves it takes to lag it down to 5. Megaprojects, here we come!
'There are some things mortals are not meant to know, but we were bored and drunk at the time so we gecided to leave details of those forbidden arts in the library for a laugh.'

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:11:38 pm »

I use dwarf therapist, and workflow to manage things. I honestly feel a fort this large would be impossible without them!!!
My "normal" fps has dropped to 3 recently (from 4).

I have +/- 700 adults (100 in military)
 200+ children/babes
Not playing now so not exact numbers (923 total I think?)

Anvillocked was founded for the sole purpose of breaking the 1000 ADULT dwarf barrier!! (Or melting my cpu ;) )

Goatmaan

Ps. The game is quite easy to play... for instance I paved my 6*6 forested embark with granite, I'm now ripping that out and FLOORING (3x the blocks) it. Ever watch 98 masons lay 4 max size floors? ;) block stockpiles ate the limiting factor, even with 150/200 idlers.
This game ONLY crashes if I overdesignate flooring. Ie not enough blocks on hand/too many to place. That's why I only do 4 max size at a time. They do it in 2 or 3 days (on the FAR side of the 6*6 map!!