Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Initial ☼INSECTS☼ discussion  (Read 1445 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Initial ☼INSECTS☼ discussion
« on: December 18, 2015, 04:47:44 am »

Hey all, you may know me from my semi-dead project Hivemind Wasps. Or my activity on the lower boards. Anyway, irrelevant. In a not-really-too-recent poll by Meph a unspecified 'Insectoid' race came 3rd(?) place in the poll, narrowly missing the chance to be coded into the mod. I have taken it unto myself to make this Insect race for Masterwork, which is what the Hivemind Wasps initially started as (but that led somewhere else away from what the community had suggested).

At the moment, this project is purely conceptional.

So. Suggestions, ideas, all that schtuff is welcome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:58:01 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Initial ☼INSECTS☼ discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:57:38 am »

Reserved for status updates
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 04:58:11 am »

Suggestions:

Defensive beekeeping industry? Vetoed/"Not going to work" from Meph (Although the Hive Wasps had something similar. Will have to investigate this further if the community think it would be good.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:51:40 pm by Insanegame27 »

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 04:58:33 am »

Re-serv-a-do

Ye may post

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 08:59:30 am »

If you do, please keep good communications with me and the community; write it for the newest DF version; keep dependencies like dfhack in mind, try to avoid them; and let me know if you need any help.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

blapnk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 02:43:19 pm »

Well, I think I saw a thread in the modding forums about creating artificial bees, and I wonder if hives full of super bees with an improved sting could be used defensively. In general, the wax/honey industry seems very underused in vanilla, it would be interesting to see something that makes the micromanagement involved worth it

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 02:48:25 pm »

No. You cant control which hives take which colony, and you cant control which colony your beekeeper will harvest. And your own units would be stung by these bees.

I had bees for wax, candles with the rendermax illumination system, silk worms for silk farm in hives and spider colonies for poison production in the original Masterwork. That seemed enough, considering the micromanagement issues.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::