Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reduce the number of migrants?  (Read 670 times)

Monstahart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reduce the number of migrants?
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:24:13 pm »

Hey guys,
 So I've been playing DF for a while now but I've never really managed to stick with one fortress/world for too long. You see, I like to keep my Dwarfs organised, each has a specific role, and a nickname so that I can identify them and their role; this way, I can get everything running the way I want it as well as learn and build the dwarves individual personalities/stories better.

My problem is however, usually around the end of the first year larger Migrant waves start arriving, and I feel like I start to lose control, so im wondering, is there a mod, maybe a DFHack setting or even something in the files I can change to make migrant waves smaller maybe, a max of six dwarves or so?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce the number of migrants?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:30 pm »

You can use the init by changing the pop-cap (the first one).
Just take a number which is slightly above your current population - you will have to change the init afterwards, if you want to have more migrants.

Or, because this is DF:
Let them die.
Easy as it it.
(To avoid trouble: Let none of your actual dwarves see what you do to them.
Or, because this is DF:
Let them witness their deaths.
And hope for !FUN!)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:47:07 pm »

Best thing to do with all those migrants is throw them in a militia squad and send them out to kill everything, the more dangerous the better. If any survive, they'll be great warriors.

Monstahart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 03:54:43 pm »

Or, because this is DF:
Let them die.
Easy as it it.
(To avoid trouble: Let none of your actual dwarves see what you do to them.
Or, because this is DF:
Let them witness their deaths.
And hope for !FUN!)

So drop 'em into a pit with my captured necromancers, slowly create an undead migrant army ready to be released on unexpected elves?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 04:00:38 pm »

If you're using LNP the pop cap is exported in the UI, otherwise you'll have to change it in the file manually. I let the first two wave come as they like, and after the second one I exit DF and set the pop cap to the current pop + 10 and then restart DF. I repeat this until I come to within 10 of my target pop, at which time I set the target one and leave it at that. The strict pop cap is set a bit higher to allow for natural growth (kids), and, I assume, petitioning visitors (never managed to get any visitors so far...).

Setting a low pop cap has side effects, since invasions are allowed only when the pop reaches 80 (unless the parameter is changed to a different level, or you enable invasions due to wealth and/or exports), although there are reports of invasions prior to that for unknown reasons. Baby snatchers and ambushes are supposed to be back (haven't seen either), and are not counted as sieges. Kobold thieves are not sieges either.
Also, titans are allowed to attack at a pop of 80 as the default (although I think there is an export trigger as well), and a certain kind of migrant may show up only on a pop of 80 (I haven't found any parameter for that).
To become the mountainhome you'll need a large pop (I think one of the requirements is to be a metropolis).
Also note that black tower invasions disregard all limits. They can arrive in the first summer (just make sure you have a door, lock it, and turtle).

You COULD make alternative uses of excess migrants, of course. I wouldn't drop the migrants to just necromancers of I wanted to create an army, though, as necromancers are fairly weak, so the migrants will probably kill them if they don't have any support (or the migrants are suitably pre processed).