Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shanty Town  (Read 1514 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shanty Town
« on: May 26, 2008, 04:50:00 am »

In my next fortress, I am going to build a wide trench around my starting location. No big surprise. There will be a retracting bridge over this wide location. Again, no big surprise.

All immigrants without desirable skills (and eventually, when I have about 25-30 good dwarves in my fort, all immigrants period) will be chucked into the trench via the retracting bridge.

Inside the trench I will ensure they have a few units of stone, and some surface-growable seeds [rat weed and prickle berry most likely]. I'll build a few farm plots, a few breweries, and turn on everyone's farmer and brewer skills. And then I will leave them to their own devices. Anything that falls into the trench is fair game for them, so they ought to have a fair number of bolts and severed goblin limbs after a while.

If I feel particularly kind I might also designate my garbage dump to be over the side of the bridge. It seems fair. Thus they can have anything they can construct from refuse, except they are not allowed to build their way out of the moat.

What? We sent a missive to the mountainhomes informing the emmigration office that we would be accepting no more migrants!! All things considered it's rather humane!

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Erk ]

'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: Shanty Town
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:03:00 am »

This seems like a pretty solid idea. Mind if I borrow it for a bit?
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:08:00 am »

not at all! lemme know how it turns out for you. I am loving the idea of a pathetic subgroup of outcasts making all their belongings from bone and praying that the Elites will toss down a low-quality bed for them to huddle under the bridge on.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:40:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Erk:
<STRONG>not at all! lemme know how it turns out for you. I am loving the idea of a pathetic subgroup of outcasts making all their belongings from bone and praying that the Elites will toss down a low-quality bed for them to huddle under the bridge on.</STRONG>

Unfortunately for them, today Armok decided that the bed would be thrown down to them whilst on fire... right after a subpar batch of dwarven rum was discarded by the legendary brewer who had a hangover that day and botched it up.

Ever seen a brushfire sweep through a dry moat? I have, it's pretty fun to watch if you're not living in said moat.

In retrospect I wish I'd have recorded that, it was pretty cool and I don't know how to replicate it (might have been tweak borking the temperature and lighting up the grass)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 05:17:00 pm »

This sounds like it would flood error messages when the dwarves in the trench try to use stuff outside of the trench, and vice versa.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »

Why? Stuff not reachable for a dwarf will not generate error messages, I think. At least I never recieved error messages from bones generated in caves that I had shut with a hatch and locked (before I did that, they were hurrying off to get said bones).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

Just think how much easier and more awesome this will be once burrows are added.

Sigh. I could live without the army arc, but I've been wanting burrows forever!

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Erk:
<STRONG>We sent a missive to the mountainhomes informing the emmigration office that we would be accepting no more migrants!![ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Erk ]</STRONG>
Wait, migrants are a bad thing?

Don't you always need more haulers, wall-builders, miners, and woodcutters?

And replacements for accidents, poor health care and justice?

ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:49:00 am »

Migrants always annoy me because they come before I can get beds for my first group, and I'll have a second group of migrants coming before I'm done making things nice for my starting group. It takes me a good two years to get skills high enough to purchase anything from the traders (by which point I usually don't need anything) and to have a good way of churning out the bed/chair/table each bedroom complex needs - and you know, those migrants really make me want to kill them. They ruin my dwarven utopia.

At least, thats why they piss me off.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:00 pm »

I don't really mind useless migrants, you can never have enough haulers, and by the time I train up my carpenter and mason I always wind up with tons of low quality furniture that none of my good dwarves want anything to do with. I'd rather assign them to soapmakers than have them sit around and clutter up my furniture pile.  

For some reason I'm utterly fascinated with the idea of a fortress with a strict caste system though. Too bad the only way to keep the lesser dwarves from eating the mayor's lavish meals involves throwing them into a pit...if only they'd been happy with their sewer brew and cat tallow biscuits, think of the tragedy that could have been avoided.  :o