Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can never find a Vampire.  (Read 1771 times)

Glueable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can never find a Vampire.
« on: December 17, 2015, 01:21:23 am »

Seriously, I've tried tipping countless statues (I'm starting to believe that is a joke.) and I have only encountered one vampire, in another world.

Can anyone confirm the Statue part or atleast tell me where vampires usually spawn?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can never find a Vampire.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:06:40 am »

An odd description. If I've understood it correctly, toppling statues in temples in adventure mode can get the adventurer cursed with vampirism (or lycanthropy) if the god of the temple is of a suitable inclination, but it won't call forth a vampire to engage the adventurer. Note that I don't play adventure mode, though.

In fortress mode vampires can be present among your migrants (and probably among the visitors recently introduced) as well as being a diplomat (I don't know if merchants themselves can be vampires).

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:49:43 am »

Seriously, I've tried tipping countless statues (I'm starting to believe that is a joke.) and I have only encountered one vampire, in another world.

Can anyone confirm the Statue part or atleast tell me where vampires usually spawn?

I guess, you're talking about adventure mode - else it wouldn't make much sense.

First of all:
Look at your world_gen_parameter:
If there is a 0 behind your number of vampiretypes, then you had bad luck rolling this world in WorldGen.

Then:
How long did you run your world in WorldGen?
If it's to short than there will be no vampires.

Then (for becoming a vampire):
Did you try to defile an active temple?
There are some temples who will be abandoned throughout WorldGen - normally new ones will be build in said town.
You also have to be lucky to get the vampire-curse - more luck involved in finding the right god.
And yes, it works.

Then (for actually finding vampires):
Ask people for troubles and choose "beasts".
They will tell you about a vampire you can hunt.

If you don't want to talk, then search for yourself:
Flashing persons -
- being muscular and having white hair (only for humans) in the description;
- trinkets of sapient beings in their inventory;
- revealing that they had several proficiencies in their life while asking them about;
- revealing that all of their family died hundreds of years before (in case of goblins and elves it's a bit tricky).
Or just denouncing every single person you'll meet.
At some time you will find a vampire by pure accident.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 09:36:24 am by SaD-82 »

Glueable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:26:24 am »

Thanks, I guess I can go easily go to a temple on adventure mode, topple a tower, then go to my own fortress and retire.

Having all my dwarves be vampires is going to be FUN.

Thanks, c: