Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why Dwarf Fortress rules  (Read 1661 times)

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why Dwarf Fortress rules
« on: May 25, 2008, 11:51:00 pm »

The "simplicity" allows you to imagine why one dwarfs climbs on top of a table (drunkenly starts dancing or maybe fixing a wobbly leg) or watching two dwarves commisserate in the booze hall over a flask of rum, or maybe just running off to their room to sit alone and ponder their lives. I love how you can just decide that whatever is making them hang around in one place is up to your own interpretation.

For example I had a a miner who would spend all her spare time idling in the mines just sitting there fathoms below the dining hall and statue gardens, only going up to eat and drink.

I thought she might be depressed and hiding but she was ecstatic, only spent every minute of spare time in the mines, not even bothering to attend parties. I like to think that she was thinking of the best places to look for valuable minerals next, or maybe because she spends so much time excavating that she just enjoys the privacy of the deep tunnels underneath the fortress - the simplicity of it all, and that you're not explicitly told why they are doing what they are doing leaves it all up to the imagination.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why Dwarf Fortress rules
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

That's why DF is famous for it's crazy stories.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Crushy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

I once had a miserable widow. She went insane but was quite peacefuly hanging out near this towering gateway I'm building.

Best part of it? So far, 2 whole expeditions have gone insane since then. The tower is still being built. I'm savescumming because I hate cleaning up every small sock the other 80 bozos left from last time.

Dammit, I hate friendships.

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:14:00 pm »

On my current fort, a marksdwarf was mauled to death by a giant bat. He had a pet mule. Ever since then, the mule would constantly wander out to where its owner had died and mill about. I haven't seen that mule recently, it might've found a new owner.

On another note, I like the fact that you can change a dwarf's nickname and job name after they're dead. I use the job name to describe how they died- I think "Mauled by giant bat" is the most common cause of death, with goblins and going insane second and third, respectively. I'll probably start embellishing the descriptions soon enough: "This is the resting place of UristMcHauler, Who died valiantly charging two giant bats. It took twelve days to find all his body parts."

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:15:00 am »

Sometimes the randomness of how things attack can add a lot as well, especially with the graphical simplicity.

By this I mean I remember once I had a fortress that was basically at war with the unicorns living outside it (this was way back, in the 2D version, by the way).

Things were going ok right up until I sent my woodcutter across the river to cut the tree's there, and I think he must have gone too close to some unicorns or something because they all just instantly stampeded across the bridge and right past the entrance to my fort. I still had a lot of my fort outside at this point as well, so I lost a dwarf, had a dwarf very badly injured and got a bunch of dogs killed. I imagined that it was basically the unicorns considered the land across the river to be theirs, and so my woodcutting would practically be an 'invasion'.

After that stampede happened I quickly moved all my workshops inside, even though it meant quickly mining out a few area's and permanently messing up my entrance layout.

Another interesting incident from that fortress was when I got my first immigrant hunter. I decided that it was time to get revenge on the unicorns, and sent him out with his crossbow to hunt some down.
When he got to the first group, he had time to fire off a few arrows, killing one of the unicorns, but then the rest got to him. Strangely, they didn't kill him. Instead, they messed up one of his legs (red-wounded) and poked out both of his eyes. Then they left him alone and walked away. I'm not sure what the actual reason for them walking away was (do animals stop fighting when you go unconscious? ) but I imagine that they decided that as punishment they would simply make it so he was permanently bed-bound and couldn't hunt anymore.

He ended up starving to death when I gave up and sent all my dwarves to wrestle with the unicorns... I forgot that he was there until my dwarves were all either dead or dieing...

Muffy St. Bernard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dangermuff.com
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 08:36:00 am »

The "simplicity" also helps me from going insane when, instead of simply digging out an area directly beside him, a miner crosses half the map to dig into the area from a different angle.

I like to think that he's using his Dwarfish engineering knowledge -- and his artistic sensibility -- to dig in EXACTLY the right way. Or that he's lazy and doesn't really want to dig, so he walks around just to "look busy."

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffy St. Bernard:
<STRONG>The "simplicity" also helps me from going insane when, instead of simply digging out an area directly beside him, a miner crosses half the map to dig into the area from a different angle.

I like to think that he's using his Dwarfish engineering knowledge -- and his artistic sensibility -- to dig in EXACTLY the right way. Or that he's lazy and doesn't really want to dig, so he walks around just to "look busy."</STRONG>

This drives me crazy as well, especially when strip mining an extremely large area when I've found some gems or something, so I want him to dig a quick shortcut near the stockpile or staircase or something and he digs all but one square of it and then walks around the entire map all the way to other side to finish digging out that one square which incidentally forces all the other dwarves to do the same to go grab the gems.

It's really an incredibly annoying bug.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 09:51:00 pm »

Why I love DF in a nutshell:

"The miner Doren Delerdakon and the miner Sarvesh Zimlikot have married.
Congratulations.
They have decided to forego any formal celebrations.
(5 seconds later)
Doren Delerdakon.  Miner has drowned.
Sarvesh Zimlikot.  Miner has drowned."

I swear I didnt do it.  I think they realized "hey, i cant stand this person, why the fuck did I marry them?!  oh shit!!!"

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:19:00 pm »

I had a moment like this when my third strange mood went insane. (I'm beginning to think that craftsdwarf's workshop is cursed, three strange moods have taken it over, and all three have demanded things I didn't have.)

The first thing he did after going stark raving mad was charge into the dining room/animal storage and begin hanging around the cows.  I figured he was mooing, trying to fit in.  Then he took off his pants and jumped on the table in front of a dwarf that was eating, and I thought "Man, that's GOTTA give a bad thought."

It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dareon Clearwater:
<STRONG>Then he took off his pants and jumped on the table in front of a dwarf that was eating, and I thought "Man, that's GOTTA give a bad thought."</STRONG>

I cant stop laughing!

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 06:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gorjo MacGrymm of Clan MacGrymm:
<STRONG>

I cant stop laughing!</STRONG>

Me either XD

Laughed until my eyes watered, whew.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:00 am »

hahahahaha.

Them crazy dwarves and their antics!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.