Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65

Author Topic: Bring Your Own Song - Game Over! SK Victory!  (Read 72905 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Your Own Song - Day 1: Red Robes Reddened [16/16]
« Reply #180 on: January 04, 2016, 04:45:22 pm »

Also @Tawarochir:True. I do think that they probably would have given up on it by now though, because they still have the lynch hanging over them.
And yes I'm new.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 04, 2016, 04:46:57 pm »

@flabort

Perhaps he could be a bomb, but this kind of tactic wouldn't benefit a bomb as much as it would benefit mafia who affected all their visitors. Think about it: No mafia would kill someone who was making themselves look suspicious enough to (possibly) be lynched - it would be a waste of a night-kill. But a mafia that identified, investigated, or harmed his visitors would definitely have a investigator visiting him, right? Even with that said, the chances he said that to make a role ability come into play are low, but if he did, I'd bet my money on it being a mafia role.

With humility, I say: If there are errors in my judgement, please point them out to me. I have not played many bay12mafia games, and any moment is a learning moment for me. I hope this didn't make me sound like a noob :P
The only hole in your judgement is they might be a third party, instead of Mafia or Town. However, I can't fault anything else. Always learning is not a noob thing; it's the voice of experience. Once you believe you have nothing left to learn, that's when you become a noob.

Woo, first post of mine and I'm days late! :)
Flabort
Roo, FillipK, Tiruin You have a 1-shot daykill (with post restriction) which you must use before you answer any other questions; who do you kill? I am aware that the three of you are more likely to object to using a daykill without knowing much about the game, but second question: if you could undo the kill later, would that change your choice?
...Did you mean answer any other questions in formatting order, or did you mean 'I would like my question answered first and not skipped thanks!'
I would use my daykill on someone random (ie TDS/Roo/Flabort/...basically anyone randomly) if I have to use it, because I don't have any inclination to do so to anyone. In context, it would depend on how the person's skill and eloquence in handling logic and reasoning would be--not depending on metaknowledge, but on how they post (since I can use it before posting :P)
IF I have to use it before anything at all, I'll be looking back on player profile--how good they played Mafia, and in the absence of that, it'll be totally random.

If I could undo the kill later, it would depend on my wincon, and on the details from the player's flip (if any). Also on the context of the game. This...really depends on context.

Why is there a post restriction there, and what power does the daykill hold to you?
The post restriction was there to make sure you answered the question to my satisfaction; preventing you from saying "I don't use it until I know more". Clever with saying you'd withhold your post until you knew more, by the way. It's that kind of refusal to kill just on gut instinct that shows just how logical and methodical a player you are.
I believe a daykill is the strongest possible power in the game. However, it's also the riskiest, and acting on gut instinct alone is usually detrimental. I usually ask this kind of question during RVS to see if the person(s) I ask have any pre-game gut instincts or grudges to act on, and what degree of risk they are willing to take.

flabort: He wanted to put me in the spotlight and startle me into doing something stupid. As I am a slow fellow, I'll wait until later before I begin to formulate my opinions and begin pointing my finger at others. No Vote.
Sounds like a sane plan, but are you going to ask any RQS questions?

Hazardz1, Hector13, Teneb Please give me a >=1000 word essay detailing why it is a bad idea to ignore the RVS stage; alternatively, >=5000 words as to why you should ignore the RVS stage.
Flabort: Not enough points to pressure about. It's more about activity, no?
That's not enough words. :P And it's unclear whether you're arguing for the RVS stage or against it.

FallacyofUrist, Tomasque, TheDarkStar Do you feel OSG is role-fishing with his question?
the one "what is your favorite song"? No. It's just too inaccurate to be rolefishing- I for instance did not submit my favorite song, and I imagine many other people chose to submit a song that was interesting instead of their favorite.
Yeah, that's the one. So you feel it was more of an icebreaking question than anything else, correct? Do you feel there is any purpose in ice-breaking questions?

flabsy baby

How much of this goes toward the class grade..?
25% of your grade for this grading period depends on this essay.

I'd rather just give you two words, instead of the >=1000/5000. One of those words is "off" :P I'll make up the 75% and - if you're not using silly American grading curves - still get a pretty rad A grade.

How do you pronounce your screen-name byraway? Is the "t" silent?
Alright. :P But for the record, would you have chosen to argue for ignoring or against ignoring the RVS stage?
Well, it's "abort" with "fl" at the front. Dictonary.com says "abort" is "[uh-bawrt]", so "fla - bawrt" is a close as I get.

Tawarochir What does it feel like, being singled out for a random vote and a solo question when I ask group questions to everyone else?
Kind of inconsequential. It is RVS, after all.
Fair enough. Thank you for the answer... it's far more helpful than anything Roo has done at this point, see below the dividing line.

flabort: Do you think RVS pressure votes are actually useful in any way?
Sure, they can possibly help establish a little bit of motive the person voting may have had at the beginning of the game, similar to the question I asked Roo and Tiruin except in reverse. They also help establish some votes in case the game doesn't get past RVS and a random lynch is required (which is almost never the case in bay12, though), and they provide something to break the ice with and get conversation going that isn't a silly question like "Do you prefer chocolate or vanilla", and is far more game-relevant.

My complete lack of answer indicates my answer. I apologize for assuming we were at the same intelligence level.

First impressions are semi-important I don't plan on wasting mine on mind numbing content that leads nowhere but gives out a lot of useless information that only serves to inflate post count. Talk all you please; I'll answer what I want to answer.

If you're dropping hints to your role just use it as it doesn't confirm any alignment it just proves you have that role you'll either be lynched or everyone will let you coast.
You shouldn't talk about yourself that way. It's bad for your self esteem.

There's no such thing as mind-numbing content. The only content that leads nowhere is content where everyone has already made up their minds and will not be producing anything new (see: end of Day 3 of Game of Clones); even refusing to answer even the dumbest questions creates content, as it lets us know you're being scummy by refusing to answer.

You'll answer what you're asked, Roo. Don't forget that we can always vote for something we don't like, and I don't like you refusing to answer.
Good for you tomasque. I am no teacher though. I won't explain my reads as I don't have too explain them. I will simply tell you what I see in order to better understand everyone by guaging their reactions. My reads develop as the game develops.

If you want a hint looking at the first page consider people motivations.

What do scum want to do? Answer: blend in.

What do town want to do? Answer: find scum.

I'll help you as best I can tomasque. Don't expect me to say why a post is scum motivated. If you do not know it is fairly clear you can't comprehend motivation. Do not expect me to say why x phrase in post 346922 was scum motivated is all I am saying. If you want to discuss someone with me by all means feel free. I'll answer what I want to I only ask you continue until you reach a conclusion. And move onto the next person.
Bullying. You're bullying tomasque. Don't assume he's less of a player than you because he can't reach the same conclusion you did from the same data; in all honesty, probably less data, because you probably already know something from your role/wincon.

Think back to high school math (assuming you've already done that, sorry if you haven't I'll try to come up with another analogy if you haven't). The teacher gives you the question, and then before you have time to figure out the answers he puts the answers on the board. Why? Because it's not the answers that are important. He wants to see the work, the explanations as to how you got to that conclusion, not just the end result. Even if you got the answer wrong, he still marks it right if you showed your work. So I'd rather see your logic and work rather than your conclusions, please.
@tiruin I don't have to explain to anyone why my reads are x or y. You can either trust me or don't as long as you're creating posts that elicit reaction I'm content.

I'm saying what I'm saying they were boring.
This is scummy as hell, roo. Scummy as hell. You're better than this, I thought.

I am not one for team play.
And that's why you keep losing, Roo. This is inherently a team game. The only reason you wouldn't be playing for a team is if you're a SK or Jester or similar third party. So playing against your team like this (you're attracting attention if you're mafia and playing against the mafia, and you're impeding the town's investigation if you're town; therefor no matter which team you're hindering your team!) is not helping yourself win.

I literally meant boring. Yawn invoking. Forgetable. Eyes glazed over. Boring.

Does it matter? Why are we discussing this? How I perceive myself is different than how others perceive me. So you can think I am helping and am a team player with my playstyle while I may think I am not. Of course I'll say it matters what alignment I'm on, but can be done with great success as both alignments.
It matters, because you are refusing to answer my question! It's not a boring or unimportant question.
And we are discussing it because you are continuing to dig yourself deeper into a hole that is getting harder and harder for you to climb back out of, scum.

Are you genuinely blind? Or simply oblivious?

Hint the posts are numbered.
That wasn't necessary.
Are you genuinely this insensitive to the other players? Don't forget that these players that you are alienating by calling them stupid or blind outnumber you!

I've stated my goal quite clewrly imo. To get you lynched. My wincon is to kill all anti-town factions.

And @hector I was right that first game too about you being scum. I tried to appease and died for it. Feelsbadman.
More likely your wincon is that of a Lyncher. From the OP:
Alignment: Lyncher
Wincon: You win when [player_name] is lynched.

Both annoyed and baffled by people saying they don't have reads or any semblance of them.
Typically we don't form reads until later in the day. This is still RVS, man.

More votes on tbf are needed
?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Look, we just want you to answer our questions. Like this one:

Roo You have a 1-shot daykill (with post restriction) which you must use before you answer any other questions; who do you kill? I am aware that the three of you are more likely to object to using a daykill without knowing much about the game, but second question: if you could undo the kill later, would that change your choice?

Of course Fallacy that leads to why you want a policy lynch and not a scum lynch
What kind of policy is this policy lynch? In my opinion, if it falls in line with any policy said policy would be "Lynch all lurkers" because you haven't contributed anything except "Hi, I'm roo, and I won't be answering any of your questions this game". Everything else comes down to "Don't lynch me, you're all idiots!". Which I don't appreciate.

#&) @$#&@$$#$(@&@=+52)?3=33/'/6!6:)66+(1!!4=46=1?1(2?6!!-@&6!
(Produced on my phone.)
ROO:
What part of YOU KIND OF NEED TO ANSWER QUESTIONS isn't clear here?

How are you "the towniest person"?  Because right now you look very scummy.
This. So much this. It's not easy to do that on a phone. If TBF is putting that much effort into a swear, roo, you have definitely done something to piss us all off. So why don't you just answer a simple question?

WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why are you reading the people you're reading the way you're reading them?

Did hector really win you over with his soaring rhetoric? He basically asked you to consider the obvious.

I asked because it is relevant to my interests if I am wrong.
Most of us are overthinkers. The obvious sails past all our heads, which is why we like it when you explain your actions. Each. And. Every. One. Of. Us. So, will you explain your logic and show your work, maybe answer a question or two, or will you continue with this bullshit?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2016, 04:47:00 pm »

annoy him into explaining
This doesn't work. FallacyofUrist has firsthand experience with it.
Also @Tawarochir:True. I do think that they probably would have given up on it by now though, because they still have the lynch hanging over them.
You wouldn't believe how far people take things, man.

Also, the game's barely started. There's still two days of day 1 left.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:10 pm »

@tawa do I know you? As usual implies familiarity.

If I'm playing badly so are you as you said a lot but failed to say your reason why I am so scum. You've pointed out what I have done and are asking people to reach a conclusion based on no arguments who is the one that is playing badly again?

For clarifications sake tawa is lecturing me in his post not accusing me of anything.

And yes someone claiming miller means they are town.
Or not it's cool.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 04, 2016, 04:49:51 pm »

hector13: A lot of people seem to think you're acting fishy, but I haven't seen a lot of you around. Thoughts?

Who said that? Tiruin, far as I can tell, is the only one...

Anyway, no opinion. Perhaps by supporting roo (or at least claiming I understand what he's trying to do) will get me some grim looks or something, but as you say, still RVS. People haven't formed strong opinions yet, and anything that catches their eye needs to be pressed before they can do anything useful with it.

Massclaims, probably not a great idea in this game (at least not at this point) since we already know everyone is a PR. It'd probably be quite easy to fakeclaim something in this game too.

Regarding roo's WIFOM stuff: I'm inclined to say scum wouldn't do that. If he doesn't get lynched, every bastard with an investigation skill is going to target him. Not exactly blending in, is it?

Oi, really hector?
Roo's whole shtick is based on not answering any questions.  I figured repeating myself over and over would eventually annoy him into explaining, at which point I might actually be able to get some sort of actual opinion other than "Seriously, this is so stupid."

This tells me you've never played with roo before :P it's a pain in the ass he's not answering stuff, yes, but this is a game filled with PR's. As I said above, if he's scum, he's not doing a good job of avoiding people targeting him.

Could also have some unpleasant abilities for people that target him, but... WIFOM lies down that path.

Haven't read the previous two posts yet, byraway. PPE: 3 posts.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 04, 2016, 04:53:49 pm »

@roo:Or scum hiding behind Miller.

Re-voting roo as per flabort and Tawarochir.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 04, 2016, 04:54:55 pm »

They won you over with their soaring rhetoric? Lol.

You realize flabort wants me to answer questions and is not calling me scum right and neither is tawa.
Or not it's cool.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 04, 2016, 04:56:00 pm »

@tbf or anyone show me a game where a scum olayer claimed miller and I'll concede. Who has an interest in players not being conf town? Scum do. Deus is town quite obviously so.
Or not it's cool.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »

If I'm playing badly so are you as you said a lot but failed to say your reason why I am so scum.
Policy/pressure vote, refusal to answer questions, etc. Scumminess meter is useless with you.
You've pointed out what I have done and are asking people to reach a conclusion based on no arguments who is the one that is playing badly again?
I made an argument, unlike yourself, Captain Hunch.
For clarifications sake tawa is lecturing me in his post not accusing me of anything.
You're perfectly right, I took time out to lecture you on your playstyle's massive faults.
@tbf or anyone show me a game where a scum olayer claimed miller and I'll concede. Who has an interest in players not being conf town? Scum do. Deus is town quite obviously so.
What? What are you trying to say here?
They won you over with their soaring rhetoric? Lol.
Pot, meet kettle.
Explain. Oh, wait, no, you REFUSE TO DO THAT. It's a BASIC PART OF MAFIA!
You realize flabort wants me to answer questions and is not calling me scum right and neither is tawa.
THEN ANSWER THE GODDAMNED QUESTIONS!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 04, 2016, 04:57:09 pm »

And yet they BOTH voted for you.

I think A LOT of the votes for you are because of your refusal to answer questions.

So I have a question.

Why aren't you answering anyone's questions, roo?

@roo:Look up the Chainsaw Defense.

How the... You SURE you aren't a ninja, Tawarochir?
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:24 pm »

the heck. Bay 12 is sending posts at me like machine gun bullets.
~~~
C9++(or something). That was when I met roo. His problem that time: he refused to defend himself. Let me repeat myself- HE WOULDN'T DEFEND HIMSELF WHATSOEVER UNTIL THE END OF THE DAY, where he realized that was a bad idea just in time to be lynched. He was a mafioso.

... someone day kill this guy already. Has it not occurred to you that scum could easily claim being millers?
~~~
roo, flabort just used GIGATEXT. Flabort doesn't use gigatext. He just used it. Right now. To get your attention. In other words: please, can't you just not drive everybody crazy?
~~~
Also, roo, I don't think you realized that flabort voted you. It was buried within that gigapost, so that's excusable, but that doesn't change the fact that he's voting you.
Please no more ninjas.
~~~
Ah another ninja!
Deus is town quite obviously so.
Could someone just day kill this guy so we can get on with sanity?
Please no more ninjas.
Two more ninjas.
~~~
please no more ninjas. Yes!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 04, 2016, 04:58:55 pm »

How the... You SURE you aren't a ninja, Tawarochir?
I'm sure. Don't edit your posts.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 04, 2016, 04:59:49 pm »

Tawa: Logically, it seemed like the best thing to do from the fairly safe assumption that there's at least one cop in the game. This way we avoid a cop wasting a night investigating me since I've already told people the result that they'd get, and also avoid a townie getting lynched over a faulty result.

TBF, do you think that roo is scum or not? If you don't, are you fine with him getting lynched just for not playing the game 'properly'?

FoU have you played a game with roo before?

Salsa, don't you consider it important to let other people see your interests from your posts rather than seeming scummy because of active lurking?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 04, 2016, 05:01:47 pm »

FoU have you played a game with roo before?
Yes. *Shivers...* Albiet, I didn't finish said game, but I got far enough through to get some experience with roo.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

roo

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm "trying"
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 04, 2016, 05:01:50 pm »

I'm gonna go lurk since you guys seem to have a hard on for me. All of you can't be scum. Petty sure. Annoyed perhaps. Frustrated clearly.

@tbf explain it explain how it applies here and explain why in this context it is valid otherwise I have no interest in responding to a non-argument that asks me to argue against myself.
Or not it's cool.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 65