Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A strange thing just happened.  (Read 828 times)

Spillsta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A strange thing just happened.
« on: December 15, 2015, 07:44:09 pm »

Hey there!

So I'm relatively new to posting on this forum, not only that but I've not always been the best at this game but I do know the gist of it and know what is and isn't as odd as some things... So here's where I'm stumped.

I was just looking about my fort when I happened to have the screen pop up as if a liaison had arrived and started agreements, after reading I noticed it was actually my dwarven baroness warning me about my over cutting down of trees... I've never actually seen this ever happen or read about it personally and I was just incredibly surprised. Didn't think to snap a pic' in case it was an uncommon occurrence but yeah.

Is this normal? Why did my DWARVEN baroness even care about such elven things?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: A strange thing just happened.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 09:23:20 pm »

It was an elven diplomat meeting with your baron.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Spillsta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:00:22 pm »

It was an elven diplomat meeting with your baron.

Do they show up without an announcement? Because there was no " An elven diplomat has blah blah" like it did with the human, and it didn't say an elven diplomat said it either, it quite literally said it was this baroness not an elven diplomat or anything like that.

Spillsta

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 09:41:10 pm »

Actually to point on that this wasn't the Elven diplomat, I've just had the diplomat appear and speak to my dwarf about the cap on tree cutting.

This was a totally different screen to what I experienced before where my DWARVEN baroness (Not to be a dick, I know what I saw and it was a dwarf. Not to mention elves don't use baron/baroness' to my knowledge) warned me that the destruction of tress and how I shall be sorry or whatever she said.

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:22:45 pm »

Did you just recently appoint your baroness?  Because if you did, then what likely happened is that the Elven diplomat was making a "first contact".  In this case, the diplomat will arrive unannounced (hence you not seeing an announcement), and will scold you if you have cut down lots of trees recently.  You can read about it on this wiki page: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Diplomat.