Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Philosopher?  (Read 754 times)

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Philosopher?
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:28 pm »

I am just asking about the title since the only thing available on the wiki is from several versions ago listing them as a noble.  One of the dwarfs I designated as a scholar automatically listed as a "Philosopher."  Is this normal?  If so--does the philosopher need special things to work?  What skills make a dwarf a philosopher instead of a scholar?

Killgoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Philosopher?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:48:52 pm »

Also, I have heard people talk about visitors stealing books from their libraries, but no mention of their dwarves stealing books from caravans.  One of my doctors just sauntered up to the trading depot, grabbed a book on forest retreats, and took it down to the library to read.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »

He was willing to risk thievery just to get his hands on a book about elves and their silly tree houses? If I was you, I'd give him some guard duty in the caverns.
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »

If I remember correctly, there are stats for each one of the different types of scholar.
In my fort, I have a philosopher, an astronomer, and a geologist (the rest are just "Scholars")

What they mean by "stealing" is that a library is default open to the public, meaning scholars will show up to read your books and, occasionally, decide that the book would look much better on their person instead of in your library.

For what you need.. well... You need quite a few things.

You need tables and chairs for your dwarves to write and read, you need bookcases so you can hold your books, you need chests to hold the writing supplies, you need quires and scrolls so dwarves can write, you need book bindings and thread to make a codex or scroll rollers to make a... rolled scroll(?), And finally you need a press, and a quern, or a farmer's workshop (it depends which way you're trying to make paper)

There is two other ways which is making it out of leather or stones... both of which I refuse to do because I find making pigtail paper much easier.

Making the required sheets is especially easy if you just use pig tails or papyrus.

I'm not exactly sure what a philosopher would write about.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 07:19:16 pm »

I just buy quires from the caravan.