Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 109

Author Topic: Dark Souls Emblem OOC: Praisin' ain't easy  (Read 98901 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Souls Emblem OOC
« Reply #1185 on: February 28, 2017, 06:39:28 am »

B-but... Dark Souls 3 is good and fun...
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 28, 2017, 07:54:10 am »

Sure, sure. If you like heavily gated progression, every fight boiling down to just rolling through constant attack spam, AI so terrible that it relies on button-reading (seriously, go up to any Lothric Knight and press R2. They always react with a running stab. Always. You can actually bait them into killing themselves with a weapon that has a poke for its R2 by causing them to just run into it over and over), extremely bland movesets for each weapon, boring visuals, NPCs that rely more on nostalgia than being interesting, terrible boss design (except Wolnir, and he's only cool visually - I just like the idea of this giant monster trying to crawl out of the Abyss and pull you down into it. Mechanically he's a boring af 'puzzle' boss). As far as the plot goes, I will be fair to it and say that DS2 sunk any chance of it having an interesting plot by making it about cycles of fire and dark, so they were stuck in a corner there.

Here's the thing. I played through Demon's Souls about four times. I played through Dark Souls seven times. I played through Dark Souls 2 at least fifteen times. I played through Bloodborne five times, and although that game is good I'm not really much of a fan of having to do all the random dungeon crawling to power up your weapon via gems. I mean, it's different and that's cool, but it gets kind of boring the third time through. I played through Dark Souls 3 twice, put it down for a month, forced myself to do a third playthrough to see the 'Dark' ending, put it down for three months, then forced myself to do a fourth playthrough to do a 'Dark but kill the Firekeeper' ending so I'd seen them all, and then I uninstalled it. Meanwhile I still have Scholar Of The First Sin installed and if I can think of a neat build gimmick I'm probably going to run through it again.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 28, 2017, 08:27:23 am »

I must admit, I haven't gotten very far in Dark 3 but so far it does feel more like a "Roll constantly" game than a "You CAN roll constantly but tanking works just as well".
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:11 am »

The problem is it wants to be Bloodborne, in which you DO dodge constantly. Or parry, if you're good enough.

* SC points at his sig if you want examples, recommends Ogre Battle and Don't Be A Star for best results
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:20 am »

is physically and emotionally incapable of legitimately disliking any game

Haha, yeah.

I mean, I like the game well enough. It is a bit annoying that rolling is so godlike now since, IIRC i-frames are based on your roll and not on your Agility, meaning everyone will just roll for ten years in PVP in response to any attack and make me waste my goddamn cracked red eye orbs until I can get a stupid pale tongue since nobody in their right mind even considers sacrificing movement for defense. And the prevalence of meta weapons is always annoying. But I don't really think weapon movesets are boring. I mean, the Weapon Arts mechanic improved them really well over the first games, I think.

And, uh.

...I dunno. :P
Black lives matter.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 28, 2017, 08:52:30 am »

I don't mind some of the weapon arts. The goofier ones annoy me a bit because I'm a stickler for realism with weaponry. BUT I'm playing a DS game so I try to overlook it.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 28, 2017, 09:04:00 am »

I disagree. Dark Souls 2 had weapons that had slightly different movesets, and there were enough of them you could find something you liked. Wanted to be a Spellsword? Get a Blue Flame. Wanted to be a Shaolin Monk? Santier's Spear + offhand Bone Fist, because DS2 had actual dual-wielding. Wanted to be an edgelord? Be like my first character and have two Greatswords, one Fire and one Dark. Wanted flexibility in damage types and high counter damage? Grab the Partizan, which does Blunt R2s and Piercing R1s (and is probably my favorite weapon in the game). Want to switch it up? Get the Majestic Sword and put it in your right hand for a more standard moveset, or put it in your left hand to do flippy shit like Artorias. Or get the Puzzling Stone Sword, which has straight sword R1s and whiplike R2s.

Dark Souls 3 doesn't really have any of that. If you put a weapon in your offhand, you get a severely reduced moveset. As for weapon arts, there's only a handful of them, most of them are pretty much useless, and FP was a bad idea in general. Here's a for instance: Dark Souls 2, I had a Spellsword character that could cast GHSA 32 times by getting two copies of the spell, and it made the character fun because I could mix it up in melee and then if an enemy tried to run I could blast them (or just bombard from range until they got close and then finish them off). If I tried that in DS3, I would have to level up to about 150-160, dumping pretty much everything into raising FP and spell damage, and I would get maybe four, five casts per Ashen Estus Flask that would do less than a level 57 character who grabbed STR+DEX and a Refined weapon. It's a sad truth that there's only one real build for DS3, maybe two if you want to raise Luck and try to rely on Bleed. It makes it a boring game. There's just no variety between characters.

As for rolling hosts, you could talk to my brother about that. I've watched some of his PvP replays and one time he hit a host with a Lloyd's Talisman and the dude rolled over thirty times in a row (he made a point of counting) until the effect wore off. I dunno why he bothers; DS3 PvP looks to be just the host rolling around the bonfire like a spaz and repeatedly summoning phantoms so an invasion goes on for like ten minutes.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 28, 2017, 09:09:43 am »

Once I got invaded 3 times in a row before realizing I was in the designated pvp zone. That'll learn me to walk around kindled I suppose.

But aside from some pretty cheap enemy design and not liking the fp system, I don't mind DS3. I'm currently stuck in the Boreal Valley

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 28, 2017, 09:12:25 am »

If you're on your first playthrough then yeah, you won't notice the flaws as much.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 28, 2017, 09:35:04 am »

Does it count if I started as a Knight, got to the Cathedral, then restarted as a Herald count as my first? :P

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Any combat between players devolves into either rolling every single time they attack or spamming blows against their shield until they wise up and dodge or get guardbroken, as I have unfortunately found out. (Maybe if I try parrying?)
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 28, 2017, 09:42:06 am »

Eh, I started as an Assassin my first time, then quit and restarted as Warrior because FP/magic ssssuuuuuuxxxxxx :P

Also I wasn't really a fan of the Estoc since they changed the R2s to be chargeable like Bloodborne; it really slows down that weapon's slashes.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 28, 2017, 09:51:11 am »

>Estoc

:P

Chargeable R2s are really useful, though. It's so fun to hold an attack until an enemy gets in range and watch the fully charged hit one-shot them.
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 28, 2017, 10:00:15 am »

Assassin starts with the Estoc, which is actually a really good weapon in DS1/2 due to the fact you can switch from piercing to slashing by using light or heavy attacks, and the slashing attacks were fast for heavy attacks. DS3 completely ruins that by putting a delay on the R2 even if you just tap it.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:42 am »

Isn't there enough hitstun on weaker enemies to combo into an R2? For anything in the realm of, like, those guys with the organ bowls or the evangelists in the Settlement, you're going to need a charged R2 anyway to do any actual stunning.
Black lives matter.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 28, 2017, 10:04:55 am »

Eh, I dunno. I played with the Estoc when the game first came out and never used it after restarting as Warrior. :P
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 109