Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misc. v0.42 Science (mostly booze science)  (Read 3199 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Misc. v0.42 Science (mostly booze science)
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »

I've done some science on various things in his new version and none of them are big enough to warrant their own thread. They are listed here.

DRUNKENNESS AND DISEASE RESISTANCE

Every overseer dreads seeing his favorite dwarf out cold on the floor, choking on his own vomit. So how can you prevent this? Short answer, you can't, but you can predict who wakes up before choking to death.

In all test subjects, only those who had a disease resistance of "really susceptible to disease" died. Those who only had "quite susceptible to disease" only began choking, but did not die. It is unknown the effects on non-dwarves.

I have also observed that all visitors to a fortress (read: actual visitors, not diplomats or mechants) are described as being "extremely skinny". Clearly they need to eat more and this is a bug.

More to be added in the future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:08:18 pm by TheFlame52 »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. v0.42 Science
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 05:44:54 pm »

All my goblin permanent residents eventually died of alcohol poisoning. Looks like dwarven booze is too strong for them.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:46:44 pm »

IIRC the raws for dwarves include an oversized liver for handling booze. So if the gobs are drinking at the same rate as dwarves, you can bet they'll eventually overdo it. You'll probably want a well inside the tavern and a minimal (or nonexistent) supply of booze.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 05:56:07 pm »

Do they actually die from choking on vomit, or is it just alchohol poisoning?  If its choking on vomit, I wonder if you could solve it by replacing all the floors with grates for a nice little vomit-sewer system.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:06:41 pm »

IIRC the raws for dwarves include an oversized liver for handling booze. So if the gobs are drinking at the same rate as dwarves, you can bet they'll eventually overdo it. You'll probably want a well inside the tavern and a minimal (or nonexistent) supply of booze.
I don't exactly have a whole lot of non-dwarves to test this on.

Do they actually die from choking on vomit, or is it just alchohol poisoning?  If its choking on vomit, I wonder if you could solve it by replacing all the floors with grates for a nice little vomit-sewer system.
It's simulated by lung damage, so that wouldn't work. It's not actual vomit.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:12:01 pm »

PTW
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:17:56 pm »

Eh, time will give you more non-dwarves. Plus there's a lot of us on the site. Surely others will pick up Science projects.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »

All my goblin permanent residents eventually died of alcohol poisoning. Looks like dwarven booze is too strong for them.

Interestingly enough, it's been the same for me as well.
Nearly every single goblin that has show up at my fort ended up dead from alcohol poisoning or from being murdered by racists other visitors.
The only one who managed to live was a slave, who I thought was going to die from passing out in his own vomit, but survived with a bit of luck.
After awhile, he seems to be able to handle his booze just fine.

only those who had a disease resistance of "really susceptible to disease" died. Those who only had "quite susceptible to disease" only began choking, but did not die. It is unknown the effects on non-dwarves.

Interesting. I think I'll load up an adventurer and see if having low disease resistance affects his chance of dying from liver failure.

Edit: It seems that adventurers can't suffer from the effects of alcohol? Does it have to be served from the barkeep or can I drink it straight from the barrels?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:22:32 pm by EuphoriaToRegret »

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 12:31:05 am »

PTW

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 05:50:54 am »

Now that dwarves have substantial personalities, will traumatic events cause changes in it? Dwarves that "don't care about anything anymore" can witness dozens of brutal deaths without flinching. The wiki claims that non-dwarves will become alcoholics if they reach that point. Maybe it also increases their DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY or something similar.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 03:30:35 pm »

I'll have to test that in my next fort. It'll probably involve a lot of taking screens of dwarves' personalities and then showing them the corpse stockpile.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 04:16:13 pm »

I'll have to test that in my next fort. It'll probably involve a lot of taking screens of dwarves' personalities and then showing them the corpse stockpile.

It was discovered in the childcare thread that seeing dead sentients, while giving the "horrified" thought and training discipline, doesn't make a dwarf get used to tragedy. They have to see the killing/death actually occur in order to become hardened. So showing them the corpse stockpile won't work.

Oh and it was possible to change dwarves' personalities via trauma before the in-depth personalities. The original childcare thread had that as it's only major result - children who survived the "training" lost a lot of points in empathy, social awareness, and a few others personality traits, IIRC.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

selrahc007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 04:30:22 pm »

PTW as well
I just have a fetish for making armor out of cats. I spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get my bone crafter to decorate my cat leather armor with cat bone.
I'll take "Things you hear on the Bay 12 forums" for $1200, Alex.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2015, 07:28:23 pm »

Additional science!

Really susceptible to disease
 - death by suffocation
Quite susceptible to disease
 - dizziness/vomiting/unconsciousness/near death
Susceptible to disease
 - dizziness/vomiting/unconsciousness
No description
 - dizziness/vomiting(?)
Rarely sick+
 - nothing

Many dwarves died to give you this information.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »

Hmmm, oh yeah there is a different tag for fort mode isn't there.

I was passing mugs of booze to a dorf with an adventurer in a tavern and they chugged like 20 units np.

That isn't as interesting as the fact that they'll happily drink vampire blood, I am not a vampire, but I made 4 who are now part of my mostly necromancer dance troupe... coming soon to a fort...

NEAR YOU!
Pages: [1] 2