Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Useless artifacts? Noob here!  (Read 1943 times)

Vukytzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Useless artifacts? Noob here!
« on: December 15, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »

Hey all of you awsome !!FUN!! junkies, I am a new to df (spent last 2 months learning game) but I do know basics and I had so far few good fortresses. Still I have question about artifacts; in some of my games dorfs made a weird artifacts like artifact wooden bed or stone mug and those seem pretty usless to me. Whats your advice? How do you make use of them since you cant sell them?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Useless artifacts? Noob here!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 02:19:54 pm »

IIRC, if flammable; set on fire, as they will not be destroyed but will burn infinitely. This can be used in random altars, traps, fiendish devices, etc.
One wheel short of a wagon

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »

Revel in the benefits that their value can bring.

Naturally for most pieces of furniture like that bed you mentioned, can raise the quality of a room (a bedroom fit for fussy monarch or nobleman)

Tables for instance create legendary dining rooms (big plus to happiness) and artifact weapons are immensely powerful. I know nothing of the effect of artifact toys on children and if there is a quality thing on that. Some dwarves just enjoy having them around to look at if they can be installed.

Also its just really good migrant and mega-beast bait when they eventually arrive to keep yourself active (don't work around it unless you want a small and boring fort forever) in addition to goblins (if the value doesn't draw them in, the migration population will)

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 02:44:28 pm »

legendary furniture like doors, floodgates, and hatches can't be destroyed. So, use this to your advantage against building destroyers

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:49:05 pm »

Trade in a bin?
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 03:16:44 pm »

Nope. Artifacts are automatically removed from bins when you haul the bin to the trade depot.

Vukytzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 03:19:48 pm »

Thanks for answers! How do I place artifact bed in my majors quarters because I only can see willov and oak beds, I dont know how to select specificly artifact bed.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:24:36 pm »

In the menu where you select the type of bed to build, hit x to eXpand it. This allows you to place artifacts and a SPECIFIC bed (useful if you want to decorate a room with only masterwork or decorated items, for example, or to place a specific statue in a room so your god of life or w/e doesnt have a statue of a night troll dismembering somebody in their temple).
This works for most furniture.

Artifact beds are pretty useful, they're fairly valuable and make dwarves happy. Artifact clothing doesn't wear, and Artifact floodgates/hatches/etc are indestructible to building destroyers. Artifact flammable items will never burn out and can be used in clever traps.
You will, however, accumulate a large pile of useless artifact junk such as rings and totems and what have you. Many players mod in a special "display case" furniture that allows dwarves to get happy thoughts from passing artifact items.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 03:27:27 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 03:45:38 pm »

In theory artifact rings, earrings etc. should be wearable now.  I've seen a dwarf drinking with an artifact wooden cup too.  Children should be able to play with artifact toys and dwarves should be able to play artifact instruments.

Vukytzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 04:43:18 pm »

So I can assign specific jewlery to my nobles? For example my artifact silver ring can be assigned to my major?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 04:57:13 pm »

Jewelry is claimed by dwarves in the same manner as normal clothing items.  I don't know if any will claim artifact jewelry though.  I see no reason why not.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 01:28:21 pm »

Be careful with that artifact bed, as higher classes of nobles get pissy when a lower cost upstages him. Your Baron will throw a fit if the mayor has a better bedroom, for example. That artifact bed will be worth a small fortune, so just keep assigning it up as you get classier parasites. Otherwise you are going to have one hell of a time constantly having to upstate from an artifact bed.

BTW,we sent kidding on that never-burning thing. Sphelerite played with a burning artifact bucket, once. It evaporated all water in it. I think the dorfs trying to use the well were getting steam damage too.  You can force enemies to path over a burning bed for !FUN! You could drop them on top of it too. Booze is explodivelyflammable, don't let flaming dorfs into your stockpile >.>

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Vukytzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 11:38:37 am »

Thanks for help. I had to move artifact bed from my baron to majors room, it seems dorfs are quite sensitive about artifact stuff... I'm soooooo far away from understanding this game completely  :D

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:04:03 pm »

One thing you can do to avoid useless artifacts is assign weaponsmith to all your dwarves and have them make weapon trap components on repeat which you afterwards melt so you can repeat the process. That way, most moods will be artifact weapons so leave good bars near the workshops - platinum if you want hammers or maces stronger than silver and steel for everything else, unless you have candy. If a dwarf grabs platinum and it doesn't end up being a hammer or mace, you can savescum until you get the desired weapon.
Pages: [1] 2