Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Obsidian Casting Question  (Read 606 times)

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Obsidian Casting Question
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:48:21 am »

If I dig a pit 3-z levels deep, build a floor on the second level, fill the second level with magma, pour water from the first level onto the magma and then mine the resulting obsidian, will the rooms I carve out have obsidian floors? Asking because I need to know how deep to dig a certain pit.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Casting Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 03:07:58 pm »

Probably not. I've done some experiments above ground:
- Casting obsidian on top of a ground level constructed floor (with my courtyard underneath), and then channeling away the obsidian. This yielded soil of the same type as my embark, with "contaminant" rock patches of the same type as present on the embark (unfortunately, that was obsidian...). This soil supported a rather anemic level of herbs, but no trees. Probably the same as normal ground with a room underneath.
- Casting two levels of obsidian and channeling away the top one. This yielded a uniform level of soil (sand, I think it was) with no contaminants that supported grass, but no other kind of growth (neither saplings nor herbs).

Thus, I think channeling away the obsidian will result in a floor of the type originally present at that location (while still hiding any constructed floor underneath).

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsidian Casting Question
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 07:29:31 am »

Obsidian (outside obsidian layers) is a mineral and minerals leave the layer stone when mined out since a few versions. Walkable obsidian floors on non-obsidian layers require casting obsidian below (with no floor in place on the current z level).