Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water drinkers?  (Read 1360 times)

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
water drinkers?
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:35:25 pm »

ive noticed that sometimes my dwarves will go to my brook to drink water instead of drinking the dwarven wine or sunshine that i have

is this a thing in the newest version?

i have plenty of booze for everyone and none of its forbidden

i dont have any burrows and the dwarves in question can access the stockpile
in fact you have to go through the booze stockpile to even get to the brook
i am a dwarf and im digging a hole, diggy diggy hole

my art: http://www.furaffinity.net/gallery/tylerrobotnik/

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: water drinkers?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:40:41 pm »

Which version?

If it's 0.42, do you have a tavern?  If so, is the booze stockpile inside the tavern?  Does the tavern have a coffer with mugs in it?  Is there a tavern keeper (or multiple) assigned?   Have they been serving drinks at all?

If it's older than 0.42, how many distinct barrels/pots of booze are there in your stockpile?  Having 50 units of booze is good, but having it as 2 barrels of 25 units apiece means only 2 dwarves at a time can drink.  The others will go for the water.  Having your 50 units of booze as 5 barrels of 10 units apiece means 5 dwarves at a time can drink.

I'm not sure yet how the tavern & mugs affect the barrel access issue.  My initial impression is if there is no tavern keeper, a dwarf grabs a mug, takes it to a booze barrel, fills the mug, then drinks from the mug, which frees up the barrel.  But I could be mistaken.

And if there are no mugs, then dwarves stand over a booze barrel while drinking... this probably prevents other dwarves from using that barrel.  (They no longer seem to pick it up as part of their inventory they way they used to.  I think either they stick their face directly into the barrel, or they use their beards as drinking straws.)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:43:03 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 12:58:05 pm »

Which version?

If it's 0.42, do you have a tavern?  If so, is the booze stockpile inside the tavern?  Does the tavern have a coffer with mugs in it?  Is there a tavern keeper (or multiple) assigned?   Have they been serving drinks at all?

If it's older than 0.42, how many distinct barrels/pots of booze are there in your stockpile?  Having 50 units of booze is good, but having it as 2 barrels of 25 units apiece means only 2 dwarves at a time can drink.  The others will go for the water.  Having your 50 units of booze as 5 barrels of 10 units apiece means 5 dwarves at a time can drink.

I'm not sure yet how the tavern & mugs affect the barrel access issue.  My initial impression is if there is no tavern keeper, a dwarf grabs a mug, takes it to a booze barrel, fills the mug, then drinks from the mug, which frees up the barrel.  But I could be mistaken.

And if there are no mugs, then dwarves stand over a booze barrel while drinking... this probably prevents other dwarves from using that barrel.  (They no longer seem to pick it up as part of their inventory they way they used to.  I think either they stick their face directly into the barrel, or they use their beards as drinking straws.)

im in 0.42, guessing by the looks of my stockpile i have about 60 barrels of booze
according to my stock menu i have 54 goblets

i dont have a tavern anymore, closed it 2 years ago

my dwarves were locked underground due to a were-elephant, about 20 of them needed to drink at once

i should have had plenty of barrels and goblets to go around

Tanaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 01:24:26 pm »

Are you sure they're drinking? Maybe they're washing themselves. Or they're fisherdwarves.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:35:34 pm »

Are you sure they're drinking? Maybe they're washing themselves. Or they're fisherdwarves.

i checked with v, their current job is drink

also i dont have fishing enabled on any of my farmers, military, or miners and i have seen them go to the brook

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 02:41:30 pm »

Maybe dwarves just don't want to subsist on an all-alcohol fluid regimen anymore. With alcohol poisoning being a thing now maybe that's a good thing, hehe.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

steel jackal

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNIQUE_DEMON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »

Maybe dwarves just don't want to subsist on an all-alcohol fluid regimen anymore. With alcohol poisoning being a thing now maybe that's a good thing, hehe.

thats originally what i was thinking, though i havent had any issues with my dwarves getting sick yet

actually, i havent seen anyone getting sick yet
there was an elf in my tavern who drank some sunshine, he spilled a bit of it but didnt throw up

he was promptly killed by my hammerdwarves for wasting alcohol and being an elf

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 07:24:36 pm »

Yeah, in 42.03 I've noticed this. I had a bunch of buckets sitting by the river, and since they don't use buckets to clean themselves and I haven't had anyone who needed a drink delivered to them, so yeah. It's odd.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:58:57 pm »

actually, i havent seen anyone getting sick yet

I've never seen a dwarf get sick, but I've seen nearly every goblin who has visited my fort die from it.

I also noticed, occasionally, dwarves drinking from the river instead of my 2000+ stockpile of booze. Maybe it has something to do with merriment?

Klitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:24:24 pm »

The bucket thing is happening to me, my logical guess is that they don't have goblets and find the next best thing? Probably a bug though.
"A giant cave bat, a giant cave swallow, and a troll wander into my fort's cagetraps..."

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:53:37 pm »

In older versions I always had dwarves drinking from the well or river regardless if there was booze. It couldn't be a new thing.