Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible built wall bug or weirdness  (Read 1082 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible built wall bug or weirdness
« on: December 14, 2015, 12:09:35 pm »

Sorry if posted before.

I built walls to isolate dwarves that were bitten by a werecreature in my lower levels and got spammed with loads of haul cancelations.

This didn't use to happen right? After the current jobs were cancelled, the dwarves afterwards just ignored any items on the other side of walls. At least that's how I remember it.

They also seem to keep trying to collect webs in walled off caverns.

So I try to deconstruct the walls and they just ignore it. My guess is the hauling jobs are higher priority and they keep getting cancelled. Then I assign the deconstruction command with priority 1 and they finally do it but they definitely won't with priority 4.

Should I report this?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible built wall bug or weirdness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:30:50 pm »

I think you should investigate it further before reporting, but if you can narrow it down and verify it's they're actually trying to take new jobs in a completely inaccessible area it ought to be reported (with a save).

Blocking access will result in cancellations of jobs already taken, but that will peter off as the jobs are dropped. Completely walled off areas shouldn't result in cancellation spam, but it there is a way in that's not pathable (e.g. a hole in the roof), I think you can still get cancellation spam. Until you plug that one as well (which you want to do anyway, to prevent flyer entry).
Burrows tend to generate massive cancellation spam, and can also prevent the tearing down of the wall.

I also disable auto web collection because I don't want civilians rushing out into uncharted/unsecured caverns the second the drawbridge is lowered.

One way to get rid of cancellation spam if you need to keep the access open is to block forbid everything (d-b-f) in the area/volume. That can also be used to narrow down what's generating the spam through interval halving (Block everything. Unblock half of it. If spam reoccurs, block half of that and repeat, otherwise block the first half and unblock the second half...).

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:23:52 pm »

I hadn't even thought of forbiding everything, good tip.

I'm pretty sure about this but I'm gonna make a couple more tests before I report it. I had no idea hauling jobs come with their own priority, apparently above 4 and below 1, and this was a cool way to find out.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 05:02:29 pm »

It's not quite that way with the hauling priority. It's rather the case that 1 is a close to "do it now!" as you can get with jobs. Otherwise, the job to take is based on proximity, among other factors, and the higher a job priority, the larger the chance it will be done rather than a closer hauling one.