Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: do dwarves keep themselves warm?  (Read 1321 times)

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
do dwarves keep themselves warm?
« on: December 13, 2015, 10:24:22 am »

Did I just observe a remarkable event, or just a somehow interesting coincidence? A pump operator was washed away into the lake she was draining (as expected), but when she came out, instead of continuing with the pump, she went to the closest leatherworks and fetched herselve a warm sheep leather cloak. Only then did she go back to the pump, and dispite being pushed into the water again and again, she continued pumping without any further interuption for at least a month (until the lake was drained and I made her stop.).

Is there any mechanism in the game that would explain this behaviour, i.e. do dwarves feel cold when becoming soaked, and try to find warm clothing, or was it just a strange coincidence?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: do dwarves keep themselves warm?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 12:40:10 pm »

The most probably reason is that the old coat (or corresponding piece of clothing) was worn out (or missing) and she needed a new one, and this one just came off the production line (or at least was available when the current job was interrupted). In the first case there should be a worn piece of clothing lying around somewhere, eventually to be hauled to her room.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 06:32:40 pm »

No, no old clothes lying around and the new cloak was waiting in the leather works workshop for some time (not proxucing at the moment).

BenTGaidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 12:21:51 am »

Might be similar to the system that has dwarves wearing trinkets and crafts now, too. I've a few of my dwarves walking around with crowns now that they'd picked up from stockpiles, so maybe your dwarf likes wearing extra clothes? Do they have a thought about being pleased from dressing extravagantly, or something like that?

GiantCaveMushroom

• Bay Watcher
  • Born Pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 01:45:34 am »

Does this pump operator have a room with a cabinet? She might have stored her old worn-out coat in there.

Alternatively, don't dwarves mostly try to wear multiple layers of upper body clothing? Maybe she was only wearing one layer before realizing there's an unowned cloak in the leatherworks.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 04:40:09 am »

I'm still playing .40.24, so it's not about the new mechanics of wearing stuff. She also does not have a room or cabinet and she appeared fully dressed, besides a cloak.But I will check that again this evening.

Maybe it was just a coincidence then, but it looked so real, falling into the water, getting new dry and warm clothes and back to work.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:42:15 am by Uggh »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 10:44:44 am »

That's because it was real. The less you question dwarf behavior, the better the game is.