Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on Worldgen Roads  (Read 1868 times)

foxsoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking on Worldgen Roads
« on: December 13, 2015, 07:49:58 am »

If you embark on roads, will you see NPCs passing through?
I've been googling quite a bit and haven't seen my answer yet.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on Worldgen Roads
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 08:00:39 am »

My main fort is actually on a road just to see if that would happen. I haven't seen any adventurers, travellers, or caravans passing through but not going into my fort. I don't know if it increases the chances of visitors if you designate locations, though.

(Also, nice avatar!)
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 01:29:19 am »

I believe it might help pathing to your fort for sieges but not really anything else.

What I would like to know is if you embark on an underground road, if your dwarf caravans can show up underground.

Aranna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 06:47:55 pm »

What I would like to know is if you embark on an underground road, if your dwarf caravans can show up underground.

Aren't those capped on embark though? (I'm 99% sure that the underground roads are called Tunnels, and wiki notes that they are capped on embark)

So I don't think they will come over underground, as the way is blocked. Though iirc it is planned for either the next major release (or the one after it, which ever one it is where we get starting scenarios, as Deep Sites would require that for trade).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 10:28:20 pm »

I've had merchants get lost and leave the map via the caverns, so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine them arriving that way. Totally killed the fps until they were gone though...

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 10:35:40 pm »

I've had merchants get lost and leave the map via the caverns, so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine them arriving that way. Totally killed the fps until they were gone though...

I'm surprised you had an unblocked 3 tile wide passage from the surface all the way down to your caverns. Living dangerous.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 10:47:27 pm »

I reclaimed a worldgen fort that had tunnel access. The only visitors I got were of the cave troll and FB variety :(  The really annoying part is that they have constructed floors that spread from the ramp to the map edge, so I had to deconstruct the floor and reconstruct the blocks as a wall.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 05:00:27 am »

I've had merchants leave via the caverns several times. Usually they were elven, but when not the wagons left via the surface. I've also had a trade liaison leave via the circus once. Made me wonder what his allegiance actually was...
In all of those cases I was in the process of securing the place, and didn't want them to be there at all.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 06:05:34 am »

I'm surprised you had an unblocked 3 tile wide passage from the surface all the way down to your caverns. Living dangerous.
The wagon escaped some other way. Just a merchant or two and some mules as I recall. I always have holes in my cavern walls. Keeps the hunters busy and the fortress guard on their toes.

-- Was very pleased with my smart goblin visitors last night. The moment I dropped a civilian alert, they all sprinted for the caverns to escape the map. A much longer route and full of spiders and serpent-men, but smarter than heading for the surface where a herd of steel-clad minotaurs were milling about...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 06:15:05 am by Shonai_Dweller »

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 05:15:41 pm »

-- Was very pleased with my smart goblin visitors last night. The moment I dropped a civilian alert, they all sprinted for the caverns to escape the map. A much longer route and full of spiders and serpent-men, but smarter than heading for the surface where a herd of steel-clad minotaurs were milling about...

I believe the term is a snarl of minotaurs...  http://wondermark.com/566

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 10:38:51 am »

http://wondermark.com/566

"A knot of dwarves"?  That doesn't sound right.  A fortress of dwarves, or maybe a vomitorium of dwarves, sure, but a knot?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:05 pm »

A gaggle of goblins, a herd of minotaurs. That's what my dorfs say. And if that helps keeps the horrific nightmares away, it's fine with me.

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 07:05:18 pm »

A gaggle of goblins, a herd of minotaurs. That's what my dorfs say. And if that helps keeps the horrific nightmares away, it's fine with me.

I like to think that, like crows, a group of elves is a murder of elves.

Or at least they are after my dwarves are finished with them.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured