Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 8 (1/7/2016)  (Read 8030 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 1 (12/22/2015)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:07:18 am »

To the Divergents. If anyone can help me get even a piece of my former life back, it's them.

Although I do like the ideals of Meat Factory, I think I need a ghost before dealing with them.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:14:03 am by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 06:28:54 pm »

Head to the north-east to 'investigate' the Wayward Sons.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 12:30:11 am »

"Unnecessary." NeoDireWolf walks past the man allowing the bandage to fall to the floor.

Head to the eastern building.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2015, 12:30:31 am »

Roll 2

Go west to investigate The Guild. A total absence of physical presence is... just inhuman.

The Guild's lobby has a talking floor. Quite literally, you happen to step on the wrong area, and the floor yells at you:
"You stepped on one of my sensor relays!"
The affected area turns a dark red.
"Now I will have to relocate. Hold on..."

The lobby itself is quite empty. There are no other persons in the room, and the only furniture is a pair of chairs in the center, in addition to the elevator which is on the opposite end of the room. Due to optical screens lining the walls, floors, and ceiling, it appears as if you are in some kind of virtual matrix, and the elevator entrance seems to stand alone, much like a portal.
"So... what is it this time? Are you one of those Wayward guys they dig up out of the grave? I have no business with you or your naive ambitions."

Northeast. Terraforming this world sounds good.
Head to the north-east to 'investigate' the Wayward Sons.

A man appears from the elevator just ahead. He wears a happy look on his face, and wears a simple black robe. A strange symbol hangs from his neck, a shape with a bronze person attached and hanging from it.

"Greetings! I can tell you two are new, just by your expressions!"
"That's a lie. You were told--" says a clerk in a white suit.
The interlocutor was met with a big, round stare which cut off any further contact.

"Now then...

I welcome you to our headquarters at Echo Narnia. We've quite a large presence here, if only thanks to our brothers in the Divergent. Tell me, do either of you know about astrophysics?"

The man in the white suit chooses this time to interrupt again: "Probably not. The network has quite a strange cosmology to it... something about world-planes and--"
"My apologies, please forgive this man for his rudeness. Now, I was perhaps a fool to assume you'd know. Now, that said, we ARE a bit understaffed at this site. We were meaning to construct a new launch site nearby, close to the equator, but we actually don't have anyone with the proper professional background here. But of course, the network holds many surprises for us."

The strange robed fellow then goes on to explain the current situation of the colony. Apparently, uranium is at quite a luxury, and the Guild currently holds a monopoly on the stuff. The Guild, however, rejects all cooperation with foreign powers such as Wayward Sons and ExoCore. This makes it rather difficult for Wayward to acquire fuel for its nuclear thermal rocket designs, as the Guild simply doesn't sell to groups with ambitions involving expansion.
This leaves Wayward with little choice but to rely on sparse and unreliable black market sources. This is clearly no foundation for a New Humanity.

Wayward is looking to invoke its doctrine of "necessarium conformitatem," that is, a necessary conformance to the scruples of the reality network. The other factions practice manipulation of the networked populace in order to produce politically convenient outcomes--the Divergent are especially well-known for this in the real world. But Wayward takes this a step further: by intentionally causing divergence in select individuals, Wayward is able to not only recruit skilled operatives to join its cause, but also provides the Divergent a service by maintaining the status quo; no individual that is adept at deep thought can exist in the reality network for long, for Wayward's clandestine recruiting operation naturally targets the more intelligent.
Due to your lack of education otherwise, you are not particularly well suited to most jobs in Wayward, aside from piloting shuttles and transport vehicles, as well as being a mechanic for simple machinery.

To the Divergents. If anyone can help me get even a piece of my former life back, it's them.

Although I do like the ideals of Meat Factory, I think I need a ghost before dealing with them.

You enter the building, meeting a jumbled mess of orange geometric shapes and patterns floating in the middle of the room, which is depressed into the ground and houses a projector right in the center.

The swirling shapes veer dangerously close to your face. A booming voice comes out of nowhere.
"Greetings! I am positively elated to contemplate a strange and unfamiliar personage!"
The swirling batterns align into some sort of diamond pattern. The text 'Anhotep' shows up just below the diamonds, in glowing letters.
"Doubtless, it is not often that one such as yourself would be so confident so as to associate with us in such an expeditious manner..."

"That's Anhotep," says a man off behind a desk. There are two curved sets of desks gathered around the projection in the center of the room, forming partial circles.
"He is our muscle. He does all the grunt work that you typically need humans to do, like accounting and the like. He's not exactly a good strategist, though."
The shapes fixate on the speaker, forming concavely-curved isoceles triangles with a straight base, overlapped in the center of its gaze.

"If you wish to learn, newcomer, there is a presentation on the upper floor about to start in a minute. That should help you decide."

The lobby room is populated, aside from the four clerks at the desks and the bizzare machine, with three other people: A man and a woman in casual dress, both on opposite sides of the room, and a man wearing a military uniform and hat.
The military man looks to be heading toward the elevator, but the man is just loitering. The woman is whispering with one of the clerks at the desk. You overhear:

Woman: What is that... thing over there?
Clerk: It's called an Angel. An incredibly powerful ghost. Few persons have the capacity to become one.
Woman: You mean ghosts? We're persons too.
Clerk: There's no legal distinction. But you, due to your divergence, are not able to become an Angel, for obvious reasons.

The elevator lets you visit ten floors. The rest require a special card.

"Unnecessary." NeoDireWolf walks past the man allowing the bandage to fall to the floor.

Head to the eastern building.

You enter into a hall of mirrors. Images of yourself surround you, mirrored and walking in all directions as you continue forward. But one thing you notice is that you cannot see the doorway in the mirror. If you turn around, though, it's still there.

Suddenly, one of your reflections walks up to you of its own accord.
"Who am I?" It asks.
"What am I?" you hear another voice from behind. It's another reflection.
"Where am I going?" says a third, off in the distance. He looks into your eyes, and you notice that one of his eyes is a different color: an ethereal shade of yellow.

The odd-eyed one comes closer, stepping carefully around your reflections. You notice that the reflections no longer follow your movements. Instead, they all stare at you directly in the eye.

"'Myself' is but a product of a mind steeped in decadence and physical indulgence. It is only clear that I am a product of my surroundings. But to be truly free, I must change my surroundings. I must become a catalyst of change myself, in order to overcome my failed upbringing into a world of lies and self-deception.

Is Asmodel not correct?"

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2015, 02:06:06 am »

Clearly these reflections are nothing more than a visual illusion, they lack insight into my thoughts. NeoDireWolf's anxious grin intensifies then vanishes as NeoDirewolf begins to speak.

"Surroundings are consequential, and though be it true that they warp the flesh and pervert the human psyche, it is foolish to believe that such trivial things actually influence the self!"

"It is not life the begets the self, it is the self that begets life! Yes it is the spirit, our spirit, our self, that gives us life. But something is wrong," at this pain becomes visible in NeoDireWolf's expression. "It seems some curse has befallen humanity. Yes, mankind is accursed, you see from birth to death we never know our spirit. We are in life estranged from the spirit. We are to never gaze upon our true self."

"It is like the artist, who paints an image of his mind, but neither the image of his mind nor his painted replica are perfect. The mind is a weak instrument incapable of rending a image in complete detail and it's memory is fragile so that the artist cannot paint in perfection the original product of the mind. He is to never know the image that his mind and flesh sought. But he is ever familiar with his own yearning to lay his eyes upon the that which his mind and flesh failed to realize."

"Heh heh..." NeoDireWolf's spirited talk agitated his lip causing the blood flow to further intensify "HA HA HA! This is the price that you and I pay. YES! We, artists, are FOREVER separated from the self and it is only the stripping away of this flesh that will allow man to realize the spirit, the true self!"

NeoDireWolf calms considerably, and finds himself locking eyes with the odd eyed figure in front of him.

He finally continues, "I am intrigued, now tell me what can this facility do for me?"
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 2 (12/23/2015)
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 04:50:36 am »

Well, driving transport vehicle around seems around my level of knowledge.

It's fitting that both my ghost and I are mounted. Hopefully that vision can be achieved.

Offer aid in the driving of transport vehicles and the like.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »

"Wayward? Is that... No. I've just arrived here, and I was interested in what you do. As far as I understand it, you struggle for local people to do what is right. In the reality I've come to see, that kind of seems about the highest ideal one can wish for. I'm interested in what I could offer you. And also in... what you do."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2015, 02:05:07 am »

Roll 3

"Wayward? Is that... No. I've just arrived here, and I was interested in what you do. As far as I understand it, you struggle for local people to do what is right. In the reality I've come to see, that kind of seems about the highest ideal one can wish for. I'm interested in what I could offer you. And also in... what you do."

"Not... Wayward? Oh, then you must have been pointed here by those suits. Well then, we'd certainly take you in. Divergees can't go back to a normal life--it's only the right thing to do. Well then, everyone say hello."

The room populates itself with various ghosts standing around on holographic furniture. The whole setup resembles some ancient medieval bar inside a log cabin. You hear the same voice from before speaking, this time embodied in the form of a tall man with, wearing a white cape and a fedora perched just over his eyes. The voice sounds deeper and more crisp than before, with a sort of echo to it.
"Not too often we get humans around here. Most people go with Divergence or Divergee Club or whatever they call it. There aren't many of us, either, but we manage by the virtue of being, well, ghosts."

He stretches out his hand to shake yours.

"'name's Ares. Ares Gulliver. You might'a been wondering how the hell these ghosts got up here. But the truth is, these are divergees, just like you. They're just on the opposite end of this particular restricted portal.
But here's the deal. You want to join us. You gotta realize, though, that death... danger... and all those things... they're for real this time, all right? If you die here on the outside, there's no coming back."

Sounds like one of those 'hardcore' portals which lock you out for a time after losing.

Well, driving transport vehicle around seems around my level of knowledge.

It's fitting that both my ghost and I are mounted. Hopefully that vision can be achieved.

Offer aid in the driving of transport vehicles and the like.

"Splendid! If you'd like the job, we can have you take a driving test upstairs. I don't know what you did before in that other world, but I hear vehicles are a fun pastime for all of us. There's no rule in particular that disallows joyrides in your free time~"

Wait till he is done explaining.

"I see. I'd like to help however I can."

A woman walks in behind you, wearing a warm sweater as if the weather is cold. But inside the colony there is no weather, so...

The robed man seemed to have been finished, but because you stay behind he decides to continue explaining the nature of Wayward's operations.
"Ah, well, you see, I myself am not a big fan of the way we operate. But I suppose it is no secret. There is no government here. Just the five builtings you see. The Angels control all.

For thirty years, our modus operandi has been thus: recruit those who are skilled in the virtual network by encouraging their divergence. We accomplish this through a number of means, but first and foremost we operate through these headsets you see here,"

He pulls out something that looks like an earphone headset with a microphone. There is a retinal projector folded against the band connecting the halves together.
"The goal is to make a subject think deeply about themselves, their lives, and so on. It usually works, in fact, with about a 90% success rate, although each divergence is an involved effort that may take hours to days. Our longest attempt so far has been three months, but in the end... let's just say we found a very useful addition to our ranks."

The woman entering the room speaks to a clerk and asks about the robed man.
Clerk: Oh, you can call him Patrick. He's part of some wierd order or something, he doesn't talk about it much. They're called the Jesuits, if I remember correctly.

"So well, there you have it. That's how we get recruits. You are welcome to help us, if you like. We are very short on manpower at this site."

Clearly these reflections are nothing more than a visual illusion, they lack insight into my thoughts. NeoDireWolf's anxious grin intensifies then vanishes as NeoDirewolf begins to speak.

"Surroundings are consequential, and though be it true that they warp the flesh and pervert the human psyche, it is foolish to believe that such trivial things actually influence the self!"

"It is not life the begets the self, it is the self that begets life! Yes it is the spirit, our spirit, our self, that gives us life. But something is wrong," at this pain becomes visible in NeoDireWolf's expression. "It seems some curse has befallen humanity. Yes, mankind is accursed, you see from birth to death we never know our spirit. We are in life estranged from the spirit. We are to never gaze upon our true self."

"It is like the artist, who paints an image of his mind, but neither the image of his mind nor his painted replica are perfect. The mind is a weak instrument incapable of rending a image in complete detail and it's memory is fragile so that the artist cannot paint in perfection the original product of the mind. He is to never know the image that his mind and flesh sought. But he is ever familiar with his own yearning to lay his eyes upon the that which his mind and flesh failed to realize."

"Heh heh..." NeoDireWolf's spirited talk agitated his lip causing the blood flow to further intensify "HA HA HA! This is the price that you and I pay. YES! We, artists, are FOREVER separated from the self and it is only the stripping away of this flesh that will allow man to realize the spirit, the true self!"

NeoDireWolf calms considerably, and finds himself locking eyes with the odd eyed figure in front of him.

He finally continues, "I am intrigued, now tell me what can this facility do for me?"

"But of course!"
The reflections disappear, leaving the figure alone with yourself. The floor glows a warm blue, accompanied by a gentle haze over the horizon. The illusion gives no clue as to how big this room is nor where to go.
"This facility is but a staging ground. The technological revolution began thousands of years ago, there is no need to remain in this world to make decisions. Come, let us meet in person."

A single stair appears on the ground behind the figure. As he scales it, new stairs appear, constructing a staircase leading into the sky.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 3 (12/26/2015)
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2015, 02:16:33 am »

NeoDireWolf smiles gently. Open sesame, I guess.

"A stairway into the heavens? I'm flattered. Now before I humor you and climb your stairs, please tell me what you can offer me."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2015, 02:41:58 am »

NeoDireWolf smiles gently. Open sesame, I guess.

"A stairway into the heavens? I'm flattered. Now before I humor you and climb your stairs, please tell me what you can offer me."

"A sharp and perceptive Host! It really is a shame that this body will have no place in the long, golden afternoon of thought. But what this place can offer this mortal, yes, what is offered is freedom. The freedom to step out of the dull charade of life and servitude. Only the self, insofar as to the abolition of barriers between the world of ideals and the essence of reality, is fully capable of perceiving the lucid substance of existence.
We see, we do not pursue these goals of our own servitude and conformity to a power contained outside of own own wills. That which we do is an end guided by the nature of the will; the true entity of the self. The distinction between figure and ground, idea and form, imagination and canvas must be abolished .

That, newcomer, is the end which the being called Anhotep desires to bring about. And that end is the merging of the two worlds. In the end, both worlds shall be destroyed, for what will come about shall resemble nothing that once existed. It will be a true golden age, a true golden afternoon."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2015, 06:54:40 am »

"They're for real? But... You seem virtual? You'll forgive me for feeling a little confused, I hope, things are a little different suddenly."

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2015, 11:16:58 pm »

I guess I'll have to find out what measures they have taken to bring about this future. NeoDireWolf climbs the stairs.

"Tell me, do you do any bio-engineering? Body modifications? This flesh is too weak to serve me."

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 02:54:37 am »

The test can't be that bad, certainly. "All right, I accept the offer."

Go upstairs and take the driving test. Observe the surroundings as I head to the location.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 03:17:12 am »

Roll 4

"They're for real? But... You seem virtual? You'll forgive me for feeling a little confused, I hope, things are a little different suddenly."

"We're ghosts. Just as real as you are. You got a problem with that?"
He grins, pressing a cigar firmly between his lips.

"Anyway, though your ghost is dead, you do still have a chance of getting back into the network, at least in partial form. But I don't think we need more agents in the network. What we really need is a local commander, someone who can oversee a vehicle that can operate around steep mountains and other regions that our comms can't reach easily,"
A diagram appears on the wall, showing a mountain and a radio tower, showing the waves bouncing off what seems to be the planet's atmosphere, and landing past the mountain. The mountain still blocks some of the waves, forming a shadow. There are SAM missile diagrams located on the far side of the diagram.
"You'll be accompanied by some of our ghosts that are willing to risk themselves, so you won't be just a pawn, if you do decide to join. You'll be part of a team. But I can't stress how dangerous this would be. On the other hand, they won't expect it, so I suppose you could say we have the element of surprise.

Those silos you see on the diagram, those are what ExoCore uses to blast our aircraft and satellites. We can't secure a transport network or a communications network without clearing out silos. They're hidden all over the mountainsides."

It seems he is asking you to sabotage some missile sites.

"I don't think I'll be much use with the virtual stuff. I guess I'll help with recruiting."

Help with recruiting.

The eccentric dean smiles.
"Ah, but there is a way! Our recruiting entirely revolves around sending our own into the virtual network. Put this on,"
He tosses you the headset.
"There is yet hope."

The test can't be that bad, certainly. "All right, I accept the offer."

Go upstairs and take the driving test. Observe the surroundings as I head to the location.

The stairwell is actually a smart escalator, hurrying you along as you climb to the second floor. The walls are jittering with holographic activity, showing volumetric diagrams of the solar system and nearby geography.

At the top, you come to a T-intersection. The wall displays, in large letters, 'DRIVING TEST' with a huge arrow below. You decide to follow the instructions.
The text leads you into a second lobbyroom with many empty seats and about eight desks. There are a couple of people waiting for their own services, but a woman at one of the desks calls your name right away. She has this odd cybernetic eye, although it doesn't seem to be an implant, just attached to a band around her head.

The driving test requires you to pick up a headset. Doing so pulls you into a vast empty expanse, fully black, with nothing in front of you except an APC-like halftrack vehicle. You climb on top and enter it to find a horse crammed inside. You hear a rather familiar voice.
"Is that you, Sir Exarch? I have finally found you!"
It's coming from behind the horse, where the passenger seats are.

Another voice comes at almost the same time, but it's in your ears and doesn't seem to have a well-defined source.
Driving Instructor: Alright, there is a seat labelled driver. I suggest you sit there and get yourself familiar with the controls before we start.

I guess I'll have to find out what measures they have taken to bring about this future. NeoDireWolf climbs the stairs.

"Tell me, do you do any bio-engineering? Body modifications? This flesh is too weak to serve me."

"The flesh is insufficient. The flesh will never serve the mind. The one solution is to abandon the flesh entirely, but there is no salvation of the flesh."

More clones of yourself appear at the top of the stairs. Some of them seem to have claw-hands or serpentine appendages made from metal. Others have fully biological augmentations, from eyestalks to third arms. One seems to have digitigrade legs, with sharp talons instead of nails.

There is also a woman with neon-green hair a few meters in front of you. It doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to yourself at all. Her shirt reads "IOЯ"

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are Cybernetic Avenger: Turn 4 (12/28/2015)
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 05:06:53 am »

"Not yet. There is still a final grace I seek before I will relinquish the flesh. A final purpose. For now I must be stronger in this body."

I was thinking that I may be able to use ghosts to create an artificial nervous system one under control of my will. This way I can forcibly stimulate functions of the body. Yes a body clogged with souls, one that takes true will power to master.

"Tell me, do you do much with ghosts?"

Explore the feasibility of NeoDireWolf's idea.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5