Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Scholarly endeavors  (Read 5623 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scholarly endeavors
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 08:31:30 am »

Oh...hm. I really don't like the sound of that...I hope it only applies in a positive way, that new items can only be unlocked through research, and not that existing items/workshops will be blocked until you research...that would be a terrible handicap, and slow the game down so much. But maybe it's limited to a smaller range of things than I'm envisioning. Like just magma workshops or something (because those are a little OP.)

I think
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is obvious candidate for research. Right now you are able to go straight down and access endgame content in almost literally first minute of play.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 09:27:00 am »

Why does noone mention values?
The books were labeled as ways to improve knowledge AND values. And that's a big factor.
A change in values will lead to a fortress which can be self-sustaining or self-destructing.
It can lead to dwarfs who want to be scholars - and therefore spreading knowledge.
Etc.
It seems that values are underestimated.
(For clarification: A change in values can happen by discussions, yes, but if a travelling scholar doesn't want to socialize (and the values he has are completely new to your fort) and starts writing a book which leads to less need for breaks and more need for hard labour, then this knew value is brought to you by your library.)
I find them to be very important. Now, not just at a later time - at which they will become necessary for improvements.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 09:32:55 am by SaD-82 »

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 06:08:36 am »

I hope it only applies in a positive way, that new items can only be unlocked through research, and not that existing items/workshops will be blocked until you research...that would be a terrible handicap, and slow the game down so much. But maybe it's limited to a smaller range of things than I'm envisioning. Like just magma workshops or something (because those are a little OP.)
Probably it will be set in RAWs.
Anyway, even if a Hydraulic Engineer is necessary to build pumps (or build pumps with decent performance, or...), it would only mean somewhat harder embark point budget.
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 01:06:21 pm »

I hope it only applies in a positive way, that new items can only be unlocked through research, and not that existing items/workshops will be blocked until you research...that would be a terrible handicap, and slow the game down so much. But maybe it's limited to a smaller range of things than I'm envisioning. Like just magma workshops or something (because those are a little OP.)
Probably it will be set in RAWs.
Anyway, even if a Hydraulic Engineer is necessary to build pumps (or build pumps with decent performance, or...), it would only mean somewhat harder embark point budget.
You can't buy civ knowledge with embark points, though.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Protonicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 07:46:12 am »

ptw.

Created library, set stuff. Still no progress. But one of teachers became a mayor.
It is interesting to know in the end - are they really learn smth or just talking?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:48:09 am by Protonicus »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 09:48:49 am »

On this topic, I just had to ban my first book.  It was entitled "Ignorance Explained", and detailed the uselessness of learning and knowledge.

I sold it to the elves.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 10:42:15 am »

On this topic, I just had to ban my first book.  It was entitled "Ignorance Explained", and detailed the uselessness of learning and knowledge.

I sold it to the elves.

Felt like killing two birds with one stone ?

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 11:46:29 am »

I think
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
is obvious candidate for research. Right now you are able to go straight down and access endgame content in almost literally first minute of play.

I think a better way of putting that would be that sometimes you can access endgame content and sometimes it accesses you...

TomIrony

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood, Stone and Ash
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 01:17:25 pm »

I had a pretty great incident where I assigned my Gelder dwarf to be Chief. When a woodcutter came in with a broken leg, he ran to the library to read up on medical texts.
Quote from: KodKod
Quote from: enizer
"unit list other: 248, all kobolds"
"Hunt them for sport.

The Least Dangerous Game."

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2015, 11:36:38 am »

I sold it to the elves.

(soon to be) SIGGED
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2015, 11:54:55 am »

I had a pretty great incident where I assigned my Gelder dwarf to be Chief. When a woodcutter came in with a broken leg, he ran to the library to read up on medical texts.
Which one ran to the library? :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 [2]