Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: DF Song Converted to IRL Song!  (Read 18791 times)

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Song Converted to IRL Song!
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2015, 12:53:28 pm »

PTW. Agree that this is awesome!
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

PastequeSauvage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »

Wanna try with a tuxxu ?  :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ardebitis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2015, 03:14:49 pm »

Wanna try with a tuxxu ?  :D
Do you have the descriptions of the instruments in question? You can find them by attempting to perform the song, and moving your cursor over "Simulate [instrument]"

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 12:12:58 pm »

Anyone tried to construct dwarven scales and chords?
Here is a tool for dividing octaves http://www.bigcomposer.com/data/utilitydata/octave_math.php
“It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine - a gun - which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished.”
― Richard Jordan Gatling

PastequeSauvage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

Apparently I can only sing it and not simulate the instrument  :(

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2015, 02:23:51 pm »

This is fantastic.

Grimzer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2015, 04:26:30 pm »

I can not stop listening to Glittery Suitor on repeat. So so great.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:14 pm »

Awesome.  Would love to see more on this, especially from other people.  Since I can't really understand any of it I'd love to see this thread be like the Worldgen cookbook, but with in-game music and poetry instead.

Posting to watch.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2015, 09:07:25 pm »

This is pretty neat. I love the glittery suitor especially. Good job.

JustMercy1994

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »

I think the most astounding thing is that it actually creates half decent music. Toady's simulation isn't just random gibberish for music, which is actually kind of impressive but also not terribly surprising considering the man behind the machine. Still, I'll have to echo others, this thread should become a cooperative venture in making the music of Dwarf Fortress "real" for all of us to enjoy.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2015, 12:14:18 am »

I think the most astounding thing is that it actually creates half decent music. Toady's simulation isn't just random gibberish for music, which is actually kind of impressive but also not terribly surprising considering the man behind the machine. Still, I'll have to echo others, this thread should become a cooperative venture in making the music of Dwarf Fortress "real" for all of us to enjoy.

I support this plan.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Herbalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2015, 12:45:09 pm »

Well I am not so sure if it would still sound "decent" if someone used the scales and rhythms described in Dwarf Fortress, instead of equal tempered western standard, but it would sound interesting.
I don't know an easy way to use different tuning systems though (apart from setting every single frequency manual)
“It occurred to me that if I could invent a machine - a gun - which could by its rapidity of fire, enable one man to do as much battle duty as a hundred, that it would, to a large extent supersede the necessity of large armies, and consequently, exposure to battle and disease [would] be greatly diminished.”
― Richard Jordan Gatling

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2015, 08:15:19 pm »

Woooow, this is fascinating. Maybe in 10 years DF will do this on it's own. Keep going, I'd love to hear more!
The only reason it could end up being so long is that there's no structure for graphical and audio immersion, since OP's work involved little creativity because most of the creativity was by Dwarf Fortress.
With Toady's efficiency of work, he could probably make a rudimentary MIDI generator in several hours, then automate the whole pipeline with a little more work.
Making the instruments sound realistic and not MIDI-like could be hard though, that'd require him to make Dwarf Fortress work with sophisticated synthetic instruments, which would use a lot of data and legally be unwieldy.
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2015, 01:45:33 am »

Amazing work!
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:21 am »

Woooow, this is fascinating. Maybe in 10 years DF will do this on it's own. Keep going, I'd love to hear more!
The only reason it could end up being so long is that there's no structure for graphical and audio immersion, since OP's work involved little creativity because most of the creativity was by Dwarf Fortress.
With Toady's efficiency of work, he could probably make a rudimentary MIDI generator in several hours, then automate the whole pipeline with a little more work.
Making the instruments sound realistic and not MIDI-like could be hard though, that'd require him to make Dwarf Fortress work with sophisticated synthetic instruments, which would use a lot of data and legally be unwieldy.
we can live with ascii, we'd be pretty content with midi
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7