Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: micro vs. macro management  (Read 2577 times)

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: micro vs. macro management
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Solara:
<STRONG>...then I'm going to try and drive a few handpicked individuals insane and watch the fun.</STRONG>

Why wait for them to go insane? Just build a very high, very narrow platform without any kind of guard walls. Install a weapons rack and declare it a barracks. Have the Fortress Guard go on a recruitment spree (give them hammers for added effect). Hilarity ensues!

[ May 25, 2008: Message edited by: RPB ]

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

Draft them and stick them in a room with only one tile. Lock the door. The floor is a grate with a drainage tunnel extending out to your chasm or whatever. Above is a tunnel connected to your water source. Open the floodgate in the aqueduct above.

Watch as they drown off and on for hours while simultaneously getting more and more thirsty.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 03:04:00 am »

Make 5-15 of them siege operators and put them to work clearning stone. Once they hit perfectly agile take them off an use them as haulers.

Craftsdwarves, textiles, masonry.

Engrave every square inch of your fortres that isn't a bedroom for a commoner (for tax purposes)

Military, Fortress Gaurd, Royal Guard.

Pump out a 10x10 area in your aquifer (if you have one) manually and wall it off. Granted, you'll need to watch them for cancelations, but it's satisfying to do.

Mechanics, melting goblin junk, glassworks.

Strip-mine the lowest four levels of your map with the vertical shaft method. After it's clear (of metal ore. Not neccecarily dwarves) flood it with magma.

Build a legendary Tomb for each and every one of your dwarves. Just because you can.

Build a massive death-trap in all of your tombs.

Teach your dwarves to fly! (with a drawbridge, 15 z-levels into the sky).

The list is endless.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 08:29:00 am »

My problem is exactly the opposite of the OP.  He feels he has too many dwarves; I am forever wanting more helping hands.  DF, for me, is an exercise is getting what I want done without killing the framerate, which means maximal work out of every single dwarf available.

Typically, an 80-dwarf fortress run by me will have something like the following mix of work:

3 growers/brewers/cooks,
2-5 dwarves that do something else with food (threshers, millers, backup farmers, hunters, fishers, herbalists, or dedicated food haulers),

1 carpenter, 2-6 masons (I've become quite fond of building things and need lots of blocks), 1 blacksmith, 1 metalsmith, 1 weaponsmith, 1 armorsmith, 1 bowyer, 1 bone-carver (for arrows), 1 tailor, 1 weaver, 1 dyer, 1-2 glassmakers, 1-2 mechanics, about 2-5 miscellaneous skilled craftsdwarves (interesting preferences, lucky strange moods, backups, or I just wanted to crank out more stuff of a particular kind), and 2-4 smelters, 0-1 wood burner/potash-maker, and 0-2 woodchoppers to keep the forges burning and the metal bars coming,

2-6 miners and 2-4 active engravers, with many retirees with these skills serving in the military,

15-25 military dwarves, of which maybe half are part-timers who rotate between training, boosting attributes, and haulage as needed,

a few injured dwarves, some nobles, some babies and chidren, ...

... and a whole bunch of haulers, averaging perhaps a third of the population.  Most non-hauler dwarves occasionally have to help with moving stuff, because I always want more done, and done faster, than the available haulers can do alone.

Not a whole lot of time for partying in my forts.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.
Pages: 1 [2]