Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megabeast repopulation via adventure mode?  (Read 1789 times)

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
Megabeast repopulation via adventure mode?
« on: December 12, 2015, 11:33:59 am »

So I've been playing on a medium world that has had quite a few adventurers and forts (coming to around year 100) and I've noticed a distinct lack of monsters to fight (outside of night creatures and the endless werecamels.)
What I'm wondering is if I could possibly change the raws for megabeasts and semi-megabeasts to make them playable and simply retire them into roaming beasts?
Or would they just become regular adventurers that nobody would find odd to see walking around a town?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Megabeast repopulation via adventure mode?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 12:29:35 pm »

You could get cursed before retiring, so they are  night creature megabeasts who will move into a lair,iirc.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 02:01:20 pm »

So I've been playing on a medium world that has had quite a few adventurers and forts (coming to around year 100) and I've noticed a distinct lack of monsters to fight (outside of night creatures and the endless werecamels.)
What I'm wondering is if I could possibly change the raws for megabeasts and semi-megabeasts to make them playable and simply retire them into roaming beasts?
Or would they just become regular adventurers that nobody would find odd to see walking around a town?

Yes, forts AND adventurers that is the proper way to play. You are awesome.

You have a few options, get cursed before retiring your adventurer, mod raws to play as megabeasts then retir ethem .
Get a vamp in your fort and fill the well with vampire blood. etc.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 03:07:14 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vamps and werebeasts aren't a problem (I think I must have killed at least 20 werecamels at this point...) and, If I remember correctly, Night creatures will continue to spread by taking more spouses.

The real problem was dragons and rocs.
The amount of dragons and rocs i've killed by just sneaking behind them and stabbing them in the head is pretty ridiculous.

I guess I'll add the ability to play as them and see if actually become megabeasts or just glorified dwarves.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »

oh yeah everyone instinctively hates megabeasts like it's in their blood to hate them.
so being able to retire one is going to be HELL because every peasant going to treat you like a dangerous beast.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

99Hedgehog

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:USE_TILESET: UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 03:02:00 am »

it's far easier to set the megabeast/semimegabeast cave settings to a ludicrously high value, and to set the titan value to it's max
boom, hundreds thousands of deadly creatures to fight
[under a terrifying biome]
"Can you describe what the surface is like?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8ZqFlw6hYg

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 07:00:23 pm »

it's far easier to set the megabeast/semimegabeast cave settings to a ludicrously high value, and to set the titan value to it's max
boom, hundreds thousands of deadly creatures to fight

in recent versions, that seems to just wipe out all civilisation within acouple years of world gen. But it used to work.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:10:15 pm »

I noticed that immediately when I was a Minotaur and everyone ran away from me... only when I spoke to them, though.
They were perfectly fine to have me just stand around.

I did notice that If I wounded them, I could force them to yield and allow me to talk to them.

The real problem is getting more of them in a world where I already killed a ton of them.
You can never generate the perfect amount of anything. Either you make too many monsters and everything dies, or you make too little and you have no catastrophes Fun.