Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it possible...  (Read 2110 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Is it possible...
« on: January 27, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

To start out with 7 military dwarves in a Goblin fortress and use those 7 to conquer it?

None of that undermining or outlasting stuff either. Just tactical combat. How feasible is this? And how large is the typical Goblin fortress? Is there a king in every one?

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:35:00 am »

With just 7 dwarves? It'd be possible, but tricky. You'd need to wall yourself in somewhere and train your dwarves up endlessly until they were all champion everything. Actually, you'd have to make sure at least one of them never got to elite status, otherwise you'd never be able to un-draft him and none of your civilian work would get done. Training your smiths high up enough to get top-quality weapons and armour would be hard though. Having said that, a force of 6 Legendary Wrestler/Axedwarf/Armor User/Shield User dwarves clad in full top-quality steel armour are nigh-unstoppable. I think it'd be doable. Hmm, I might go generate a new world and try it myself!
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

I tried it with marksdwarves with bone bolts...
...and I MUST say that goblins are lame! That hyoo-man (he lived in goblin city^^)
was the only though enemy.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

I've done it. Train all the dwarves with wrestling and axe wielding. Buy 14 drink, 7 food and as many axes as you can. Try for a smaller fortress though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 09:41:00 am »

Why not just train all dwarves to 5 ambushing, 3 marksdwarf, 1/1 any civilian skill? They will all start as hunters, with a crossbow and a stack of steel bolts each. Might even go for 4 marksdwarf and 1 civilian.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »

Yeah, give them competent ambusher, the rest in marks/shield use, then ditch the anvil and one ( possibly both) axes.Buy wardogs to catch some arrows and wreak havoc!

Almost succeeded in taking a major fort until the lone crossbowman(non-elite) took out everyone, dogs, shielded/ironed out dwarves in a few seconds. machine gun vs muskets.

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Gislamo ]

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

Naah. Using marksdwarves is just cheating. I don't want to outlast them or outtrain them either. These are all weakling strategies.

I'm going to see if I can do it with the basic starting set.

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 03:58:00 pm »

Have all of your starter dwarves killed, and bring in a reclaim army. Ultimate carnage.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Have all of your starter dwarves killed, and bring in a reclaim army. Ultimate carnage.</STRONG>

Reclaiming in a goblin fort makes all the gobbos disappear magically.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 04:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>

Reclaiming in a goblin fort makes all the gobbos disappear magically.</STRONG>

Dying during a siege makes the siege disappear. Just a minor bug where it erases all gobbos.

I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 04:53:00 pm »

It will really depend on your luck,

Some goblin forts seem to be actual "forts" and have tons sword and marks goblins where others seem to be just settlements and be mostly civilians and children and only have a few guard goblins.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 06:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Helmaroc:
<STRONG>Have all of your starter dwarves killed, and bring in a reclaim army. Ultimate carnage.</STRONG>

As already stated, won't work. Adjuststart.exe, however...

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Brooder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

How can you tell where a goblin settlement/fort is on the map when you pick your starting location?
quot;can dwarves whatever their skill level permanently injure each other wrestling?" - Forumsdwarf

"Maybe. I''m not sure how easy it is to "accidentally" choke someone or gouge their eyes out, but Dwarves have a funny knack of managing to accomplish se

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 03:54:00 am »

They're the ominous tower looking icons.   Pink or purple.

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 05:03:00 am »

I started it last night. My dwarves appeared right at the top of one of the goblin towers, with a dozen or so goblins nearby - they eventually secured the area but two dwarves died in the process. I then dug down all the way through the tower and made a base underground, sealed off to the outside world so the goblins can't get at it. I'm now training up the stats of 4 of the remaining dwarves with mass engraving, and preparing the fifth dwarf to be able to singlehandedly deal with all food/booze requirements and eventually train up as an armour/weaponsmith. Once the four axedwarves-to-be have max stats and some good armour, I'll set them to train wrestling/armor user, then eventually give them axes and shields to finish off. I have access to flux, coal, and iron ore, so I should eventually be able to give them all high quality steel equpiment.

Only problem is . . . it's taking forever, and it's kinda dull.

Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck
Pages: [1] 2