Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: City of Visitors  (Read 1892 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
City of Visitors
« on: December 12, 2015, 12:34:00 am »

As an experiment, I want to see if I can create a fortress with a large multi-racial visitor population.  I've noticed in previous fortresses that I need to be in close proximity to foreign fortresses in order to attract visitors from them.  I'm playing the Furry Fortress mod, so my people are the Lagomers, and I have chosen to embark on a spot far from our homeland known as the Sepia Hills.  To our south are the Tadhger settlements, Aniculaaranic and Joulictjazard, and to our north the Dark Pits Odannako, Ngokangotub and Ngososnamoz.  I do not know yet what force inhabits these places, but Goblins, Yetis and Jumping Spider Men are known to exist in the region.  Our civilization of Lagomers is already at war with Goblin-kind, so I would expect one of the others to make their homestead here in the Sepia Hills, far from where we came. 

We stake our claim along the banks of the brook Squirmvulgar and name this place, Suclyhant, "Standardfocus".  Great things will be built here: 

Unfortunately, this spot which allows us to access to both the Tadgher and Dark Civ settlements sits atop a massive aquifer, so digging for stone and metal will likely prove fruitless.  But the region is rich with wood and the hills offer fire clay and yellow sand, so trading should be profitable.  Our kind, the Lagomers, do not partake of animal flesh or products, but here in the Sepia Hills, far from home, perhaps we will permit ourselves to stray from tradition and fish up the bounties that Squirmvulgar offers as well. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:12:02 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: City of Visitors
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 02:55:29 am »

All hands find work to fill them as we prepare for the legends that will be born here, and so it is with great relief that we greet the migrant waves that come to bolster our ranks.  A great wooden wall rises around this plot of land set aside for our livestock and farms.  The carpenters work non-stop to produce the blocks that will shield us from invaders.  Unsurprisingly, the tropical fibers of our homeland, cotton and flax, do not take root here in this far away place, but the ubiquitous hemp and rope reed will bring us wealth.

Although it was our very purpose to make contact, we are caught off guard by the arrival of a tadhgish caravan in the autumn.  Our defenses have taken priority, and now it seems we have left little time to engage in trade.  Next year, we shall not disappoint.  It is with similar indifference that we great a caravan from our own civilization, Postar Nimenor, The Shield of Lands, in the winter.  Now is not the time to grasp at wealth.  Survival is of the utmost importance. 

Here is what a year of toil has provided us:

Ground Floor:

What was once an average patch of earth is now the base of our fortress.  Wood Block walls and a deep moat filled by Squirmvulgar now surround us. 

Upper Floor:

Workshops:

A small hole in the ground for our workshops.  No great thought or plan has guided them, only necessity.  To the northwest of the central shaft, a dormitory, for now, to rest our weary workers, and to the northeast, the Corridor of Celebration, a temple to ease our minds.  And the path due north leads to...

Tavern: 

This mighty scar within the soil shall host the tavern that we hope will be the centerpiece of our fortress.  It is surely with a jolly heart from giddy expectation that our Lagomers have named the tavern "The Tummy of Fighting".  The sandy floor does not serve our purpose, so we have begun to build wooden blocks across the floor.  Eventually, we will cover up the chaos of nature in its entirety with the signs of industry and civilization.  I had hoped to fill the floors with the more valuable stoneware bricks, but I'm afraid the process of their creation has proven too tedius, and I find it imperative that we open the tavern as soon as possible to attract the visitors that are our reason to exist.  None have arrived so far, but we have hardly started. 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:10:38 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shvoedaddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 09:33:07 pm »

This (awesome) post would get a lot more love in the  community games section. Also, I'm super curious about this modded race your playing as.

Edit: lagomers, got it. Awesome.

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 03:03:23 am »

I would like to read more about Standardfocus.

Also, your tavern link is broken.
Worship!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 12:27:17 am »

Actually the game crashed and the filed disappeared and I'm angry at aquifers and it wasn't getting any visitors anyways.  I'm having a difficult time figuring out what causes visitors to show, since I've had some fortresses where I get as many visitors as "dwarfs" and some where I get absolutely nothing.  If I figure out the trick to it, I might try this again. 

azeroth2b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 11:13:42 am »

Sanity Check: Did you designate the Tavern as such and staff it?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 01:10:24 pm »

Sanity Check: Did you designate the Tavern as such and staff it?

The tavern was designated properly.  I've had taverns attract visitors without being staffed, but I think I had staff as well.  And if not the tavern, there's the library which could have or should have attracted visitors if visitors were attractable. 

Fixed the Tavern link.