Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Libraries are... slow ?  (Read 1735 times)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Libraries are... slow ?
« on: December 11, 2015, 12:35:23 pm »

So, I've had a library since a few months and my scholars discuss and ponder, yes, but also do not write their notes ! I have quires and scrolls and a designated library and bookcases/designated tables (dining rooms) inside the library.

They're all dabbling in their respective scholar skills, so that may have to do with something, and they don't have writing skill so that may be the reason.

Is there a reason why they are not writing ? Do they eventually start writing notes on quires even with no writing skill ?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:46:45 pm by Naryar »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Libraries are... slow ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 12:43:02 pm »

I think this is a bug that was resolved for the upcoming minor version.  At least Toady said something about a fix for taverns and temples probably helping there too.

Well, slow copying of books was the bug I think, and this may be something else on top of that.  I'm not sure if writing skill is needed or not.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 12:50:11 pm »

Copying of books seems to be the bug, not the writing of originals.  I don't know what the trigger is for writing an original book, but it requires a quire or scroll in the library, plus an empty table or chair.

I find that you need a lot of table and chairs in your library.  Dwarves read books at them, and sometimes eat there too.  I don't think they can start a writing job if there's no available space.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »

Available space is not an issue.

I think their skills are too low, to be honest.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:55:13 pm »

I don't know the trigger but they probably have to do a number of thinking/discussing jobs before they write.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »

I haven't had trouble getting my quires written on. Maybe the problem is that you designated it from a dining room, which is where the problem(bug) lies, than from a meeting hall?
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 01:00:10 pm »

Nah, it's designated from a meeting hall.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »

Nah, it's designated from a meeting hall.
Hm... well, I did not at assign any of the desks, which is the last thing I can think of..

Well, I guess it might also be due to dabbling: all my quires were written on by visiting scholars.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

In theory, any dwarves who are legendary crafts dwarves should be ideal candidates for scholar status, should they not? Ive tried this and so far had the, discussing a bit of medical knowlege but nothing related to their craftdwarfness, (my first legendary miner and first legendary carpenter got awarded with scholar status alongside my sole surgeon. Theyve discussed excisiona nd some other medical things however....)
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 07:40:34 pm »

I'm not quite sure what the criteria is for writing a book because I was on a tear for a while but then it just stopped. I don't think tables and chairs are absolutely necessary either, a fort I had boasted a 3x3 library with one table and chair but that didn't stop the liaison and a travelling scholar from writing books standing up while someone ate their lunch.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

I think about 90% of my books that I had in my library were from outsiders and I ended up with about 20 books (no copies) in just a few years

kailys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 06:18:52 pm »

I've been experiencing this issue as well.
There are plenty of talented dwarves in my fortress, but none appear to be remotely interested in writing. I've got a bunch of books from trading. I've seen a scribe copying one or two books after 42.03, but no original works.

Then again, I could be blind and I'm just missing them in the act or something.

I've zipped up my region here in case any one wants to observe them: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OvCT9sNsEKX091SEFtTEpEdXc/view?usp=sharing

Any clues?
What are the mechanics that decide whether a scholar or any old dwarf will pick up the pen?

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 06:34:52 pm »

Mine seem to go in bursts, a ages (like, five seasonsish?) of only discussing and pondering, then a brief burst when everyone writes books, then ages of discussing and pondering again.