Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Obisidian Tower of Idotsus  (Read 2318 times)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Obisidian Tower of Idotsus
« on: May 24, 2008, 02:12:00 pm »

Recently, I undertook a massive building project. Using 2500 stones and the resources of a local stream and magma tube, I am creating a tower made of obsidian. While the process of filling it with the appropriate materials has not yet begun, its mold is, for all purposes, done.

To construct the mold, I used a vast amount of raw obsidian quarried from beneath the surface, as well as a multitude of pumps to lift magma and water high into the air, supported by the ancillary towers on either side.

Thus far, the only thing inside is the outdoor meeting area and main entrance at the center. When the time comes to fill the cylinder, the entrance will be temporarily capped.
If you want to see the details of my work, I have uploaded a map here.
A few questions remain for myself. Once filled, should the mold be stripped away, or assimilated into the tower? Should I decorate the outside with steel statues? What say you?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Obisidian Tower of Idotsus
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

fill it with lava, cap it, wait for a seige..............

mwa ha ha ha ha ha

GMcG

seriously, bad ass tower.  what tool did you use for the graphics on those pics?

"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

3Dwarf.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

I have the feeling it won't turn out like you want it to

the way fluids act, you will never fill the whole mold with obsidian, no matter how you do it

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Akroma:
<STRONG>I have the feeling it won't turn out like you want it to

the way fluids act, you will never fill the whole mold with obsidian, no matter how you do it</STRONG>

I don't understand what you mean. There's no reason it shouldn't work.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 03:32:00 pm »

Always Save-Scum before turning on your pumps!

Good luck with your Dwarven Tower of Obsidian.
That raises a question- is this how goblins make their towers. ..

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »

He'll have to alternate magma and water - fill with a layer of magma, then cool it with a layer of water, repeat until done. But it's entirely possible to do.

Personally, I say you should remove the mold and then engrave the outside of the tower.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Narushima

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 03:50:00 pm »

I don't think it would work too. You'll need to fill each tiles with 7-deep magma. Even if you have enough magma, this should take something like forever.
How do you power your pumps ?

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Narushima:
<STRONG>I don't think it would work too. You'll need to fill each tiles with 7-deep magma. Even if you have enough magma, this should take something like forever.
How do you power your pumps ?</STRONG>

3-deep magma is enough to solidfy a square into solid rock with water.

I would think he would use waterwheels fed by a floodgate linked to a lever. :/

Personally, I agree that you should engrave every inch of the outside, while leaving the inside perfectly smooth (excepting the rooms for nobility.) Every fifth floor however, you should carve out a small 1 tile room for a masterwork (and only masterwork quality!)steel or gold statue that faces the outside world on every face of the tower. Obviously this little aclove should be engraved and have no obvious egress into the tower.

Also, the top floor should have a Museum with all of your artifact buildings built inside, and all of your artifact crafts/weapons in individual stockpiles without bins.

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Jamini ]

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »

Isn't just 2-depth sufficient?  Basically anything over 1/7 should solidify, but I can't say that I've worked with magma all that much...

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

oooh! I didn't notice you had so many captive goblins!

Instead of statues, make them masterwork metallic (gold/steel/platinum/aluminum) decorated cages and put a goblin in each one. Let their screams try to warn off any goblins who are foolish to siege your tower! What is worse than abusing the bodies of the dead, then using the living as decorations?

Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Bah. And I had to build my obsidian tower the old-fashioned way. Why didn't I think of this?   :)

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

Actually, so far it seems that you only need 1-deep magma to make it work.
Tangent: Due to some falling magma during a water-phase, some magma got trapped under obsidian. The floor it was willing was already at 7/7 when I noticed it, and I had to take a chunk out of the mold to fix it. The miner who channeled away the chunk to solidify the magma was hit with a wall of water and fell five stories. Ha.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

Actually a better way to do it may have been to have the magma and water pipe in at every level, with a lever to start/stop the flooding of said level at that junction.

basically build the tower 1 lever at a time at each z level, instead of from the top. This would have prevented such hilarious accidents as you mentioned. but the engineering may have made it infeasible.  

Still good luck with it  :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 05:19:00 pm »

Fill in the first level, then dig pits into the layer of obsidian. Inside those pits put goblins, animals and anything you want encased in obsidian. Remember those places.

Fill in the tower as normal, and keep those squares unmined. Heck, smooth 'em and engrave them.

Every support pillar should have a goblin trapped in it!

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: [1] 2