Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System  (Read 33474 times)

Roxfall

• Bay Watcher
  • Evrywundies
    • View Profile
Re: Secrets and the 0.42 Knowledge System
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2016, 09:24:06 am »

I'm having a hard time testing my creation in the arena.

I went back to the first page of the discussion and tried copying the 'fire mage' verbatim, it doesn't show up in the arena either. Nothing related to this in my error log.

Am I missing a step? Can anyone else verify that fire mage can be deployed in the arena in 42.04?

Did you use the 'u' key to add an effect to your spawned creature? I had to figure that bit out.

The copied fire mage is working for me...

Yeah my problem was I didn't put it into the correct folder. interaction_example is not the correct folder. It needs to be the folder where all the non-example interactions are.

And yes, 'u' is the way.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2016, 10:13:02 am »

I'm doing some more tests to figure out how secrets are generated and assigned. I turned up the number of secrets to 1000 on a large world to see how much I could make them proliferate; a fair number of non-necromancy secrets spawned and spread, but looking at death-sphere deities in Legends Viewer, they appear to be associated with 1000 necromancy secrets!
The secret number in advanced worldgen controls only procedural secrets (currently only necromancy, so you ended with 1000 clones of necromancy). User-defined secrets appear even if you set the number of secrets to 0, which is good if you want only those to appear.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2016, 06:11:36 pm »

Does anyone know where slabs made by these new secrets get stored during worldgen? Trying to see if I can find one in Adventure Mode.

I genned a world and looked through Legends Viewer for one stored in a hamlet in order to minimize the area I'd need to search. I found one in a hillocks that was later ruined, but the slab wasn't "lost" like a lot of slabs tend to be during worldgen. On arriving at the site I found only a bunch of empty hillocks except for a handful of dwarves, including the king (who was also a wizard and the original claimer of the slab) hanging around in the civic mound.

Hobelhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2016, 12:36:45 am »

There are 87 people in this hamlet but none of them owns a container for anything. Apparently if a slab is stored in a hamlet it disappears into the ether.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 07:51:43 am »

There are 87 people in this hamlet but none of them owns a container for anything. Apparently if a slab is stored in a hamlet it disappears into the ether.
Does anyone know how to locate a specific item in an uncompressed save?  I always figured that "lost" items were swiped by an item thief, and therefore still existed somewhere.

Though come to think of it, I've never once had Legends tell me that something was rediscovered.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

sirvente

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2016, 12:13:33 pm »

I can confirm that copying of secret books appears to be going on. I had a slab containing the secrets of fire that was learned from a few times and then lost in a seige around the year 60. However, in Legends Viewer, people continued to learn the secret of fire from it even after it was "lost". This seems to indicate copies were made, I think?

I believe that indicates that a library was built on the site it was lost in.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2016, 09:43:38 am »

I tried to make a necromancer-esque secret where you would have many different powers, including being able to shoot blood out of your hands but LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD isnt recognised by the game when used in interactions that arent in the creature's own files, how can i make a creature use its own blood for an interaction?
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2016, 11:51:20 pm »

Maybe not its own individual blood, but, if the interaction has subsets dependent on species (and one accepting any species) you can then have the species' interaction spray that species' blood?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cheesoburgor

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2016, 06:48:12 am »

Maybe not its own individual blood, but, if the interaction has subsets dependent on species (and one accepting any species) you can then have the species' interaction spray that species' blood?
Not really what i want,i suppose i could make a custom blood material. too bad i dont know where the default blood is located :/
Im alive again after a 4 year break!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2016, 10:47:42 am »

Not really what i want,i suppose i could make a custom blood material. too bad i dont know where the default blood is located :/
I don't think there is one. Template, yes, but not the actual material. Unless you want for the blood to have specific syndromes attached to it, you could make a creature with an empty name ([NAME: : : ] and [CASTE_NAME: : : ] (don't leave these out or it'll be called "nothing")) and use its blood.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »

I don't know if this qualifies as a necro, but here is something interesting: Even if you restrict the learning of secrets to certain creature classes or creatures, those that do not qualify can still attempt to learn them.

Here's an example: in the warhammer mod I'm making, I added various secrets to simulate the various magics from the setting. The two relevant ones for this are Rune Magic and Gold Magic. Dwarfs can only learn Rune Magic, but while going through legends, I found that one dwarf tried to learn Gold Magic, with the legends entry saying they "learned" it. I imagine that the dwarf in question, would not be able to use any of the associated interactions, but might've still be able to write it down (there was no indication this did happen).

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2016, 10:23:51 pm »

I don't know if this qualifies as a necro, but here is something interesting: Even if you restrict the learning of secrets to certain creature classes or creatures, those that do not qualify can still attempt to learn them.
This happens in the current version of Vanilla. Plump helmet men try to become Necromancers, and despite failing, are nonetheless accepted as members of towers, and capable of teaching Necromancy to others. I've reported it as a bug.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2016, 12:29:05 am »

This might not be a bug, depending on how you interpret the learning and transmission of secrets.  For example, I made a couple of spore-based techniques that only mushroom based creatures can use; other races can read the book, learn the theory, and teach it to others, but they simply lack the physiological capabilities necessary to use the techniques in practice.

Maybe activating the secrets of life and death requires a verbal incantation, so no matter how well they understand the theory mute plump helmet men simply can't use it, but they can still teach it to others... Somehow.  Interpretive dance, perhaps?

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2016, 02:18:54 pm »

This might not be a bug, depending on how you interpret the learning and transmission of secrets.  For example, I made a couple of spore-based techniques that only mushroom based creatures can use; other races can read the book, learn the theory, and teach it to others, but they simply lack the physiological capabilities necessary to use the techniques in practice.

Maybe activating the secrets of life and death requires a verbal incantation, so no matter how well they understand the theory mute plump helmet men simply can't use it, but they can still teach it to others... Somehow.  Interpretive dance, perhaps?
A fair point, and as I said in my report "While that might be considered realistic, in some cases, it feels like the sort of thing that the raws should elaborate on (presumably through the use of [REQUIREMENTS_KNOWN] token, or somesuch.)"

As it is, though, the requirements are never taken into account, and that seems unintended. I can't imagine a Necromancer not knowing that Necromancy requires speech.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2016, 10:02:48 pm »

Are there any good like...collections of secrets out yet?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9