Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Star Nomad 2  (Read 8287 times)

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Star Nomad 2
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:38:31 pm »

Omg have you guys heard about Star Nomad 2? It's a deep roleplaying and trading+combat space opera game coming out in 4 days, i'm personally excited for it! I was watching someone Stream it on youtube

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Nomad 2
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=513945382 this?

Looks a bit like Escape Velocity, which I can get behind.

conciso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:54:09 am »

Game looks pretty solid. I, for one, am looking foward to play it, I'll definitely grab it when it lauches on Steam (14th December).

Halfgeek's devblog got some really interesting information about the overall experience. The apparent dynamism of the universe is what sold it to me, the idea of tinkering with all these factions and see how the AI responds.

https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/2015/08/18/star-nomad-2-faction-conquest-what-happens-during-a-siege/
https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/2015/08/16/star-nomad-2-smuggling-mining/
https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/2015/08/06/the-universe-of-star-nomad-ii-how-it-relates-to-the-player/

Here's a video with almost 3 hours of gameplay:

https://youtu.be/j9Rf6tm9-2s

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:10:46 pm »

The idea of a dynamic galaxy is not entirely new, but it was used in a different manner in a game that this rather reminds me of, Space Rangers. There are numerous differences, but everything from the concept to the interface reminds me of Space Rangers.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 07:30:03 pm »

So the devloper was kind enough to send me a review copy of the game. After a few hours in and my inability to be somewhat *good* at this type of game i did enjoy myself very well. It is no star citizen for sure but for the price tag its worth it!

Started out as bounty hunter and wanted to get a piece of the action. After searching a bit i found a group of pirate trying to raid a planet or something, i dove straight in and guess what? No more jocan gneh....... Tried again, this time was a bit more carefull while engaging, keepng my distance and letting NPC soak up the damage. They kept having the last hit wich meant no money for jo... Man this game heavily promote kill score/sstealing as much as possible if you want to advance.

Number of weapon is somewhat limited tho, seem to have 4-5 weapon type per size wich is basicly the same weapon just bigguer, im not counting drones or missiles as they seem to be more like consumable than weapon per say. (Dev told me it was 7 type per size, i simply wasnt far enough in the game to see them)

The universe sure seem to be alive around you, npc doing their thing, the chat being spammed by random quote/tips and so on, a bit too much to my personal taste. I dig the art of the game thats for sure and the music, well i have nothing to say against it, seem to fit right in!

I sent a couple of question to the dev and ill post here once i get a reply! Please do ask if you have questio ill be happy to answer based on my time playing the game and if you like that sort of game, please promote it to your friends and all!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:58:02 am by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

Here is a small interview with the guy. I had no question in specifics or much experience in these kind of things so i whipped up a few question and hope the answer will interest some of you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Tell me about your devlopment process, how long did you work on designs, had any inputs from poeple around you? Any interesting stories or anecdotes?

Development process started during the first title, pretty much Star Nomad 2 is the space trader & combat sim I wanted to make, my take on the genre, but back then I was fully aware of my limitations with code so all the cool features were scrapped or dumbed down and that became Star Nomad, a very arcade take on the genre. I tried to make up for it with an interesting tale, but its not really something this genre is about. It needs depth.

Inputs came from players of the first, lots of their feedback were things I wanted as well. For example, the minimap. I seriously could not code a real-time positioning update system for a damn minimap back then. Another example, ejecting your cargo...  yeah, seems real simple but I wasn't ready to wrap my head around those logic. These days, any feature I envision, I can make it happen. So it's interesting to see my progression on a personal level, like a Gamedev Level Up and it feels satisfying. :)

2. How long did you work on devlopment, did you work alone? Any funny bugs during testing? What pissed you off the most and finaly what made you the most proud accomplisment wise.

I finished the first Star Nomad around June last year, so it was from then on straight into the design phase and testing concepts. I was also busy at that time with porting to mobiles (Star Nomad & Ninja Girl), support, bug fixes and some family issues so it wasn't heavy dev work. Full development started last December.

I work alone, however I contracted a lovely artist from Japan for most of the game-art (she is very talented!). Most of the crap visuals & UI are mine. :D

Bugs were related to AI mostly. At one point they decided to do their own random thing, I had no idea why. There's a lot of randomness in the system so sometimes it does things which surprise me as well.

What pissed me off the most was all the UI. I suck at it and it takes a very long time, very tedious. It took me 2 weeks to make the trading UI earlier in the year..   then I scrapped it recently and built it from scratch, took me half a day to make a better version where I can add things in the future and expand upon it easily. These little things make me appreciate the journey of learning.

Proudest achievement ingame, would be the dynamism, faction AI fleet building, all linked to the simple act of trading goods or smuggling drugs. I wanted player actions and in-actions to have a consequence and it does. The second thing which is really cool, is the combat drone AI. The way they move, it's as if they are a "flock of fish swimming in space", evading fire, and they engage other drones in a dog-fight dance of death.

3. If you had help, how was your relation with the other parties, care to tell us some funny joke or insides?

My artist is really cool, I like seeing her hiking photos of Japan. :)

4. Random comments about the game?  What gave you will, inspiration, story related to these inspiration.

For the NPCs, I tried to make their stories very personal, something players can relate to. Games should trigger emotions. Failure should be anguishing, victory is sweet nectar. This is why I went with some design decisions which some players won't like, such as the Killing Blow mechanic "Winner takes all!". Also the NPC story mission, you can fail them, and its permanent, with consequences. This is where the Roguelike encounters come in too, they serve as comic relief, or nostalgic moments and some which make you think or rage.

As for the game itself, there's a lot of inspiration from games that I liked, Fallout 2 squad play where they do their own thing, based on your AI settings, and the little text msg popup above their heads..  Mount & Blade for the faction conquest dynamism, FTL for the random encounters.

5. What is your best lesson and worst moment during devlopment?

Keeping it simple is my best lesson. Simple does not equate to lacking in depth. Complexity should not be there for the sake of it, it should be fun first and foremost. I don't have a worse moment in development, it's been enjoyable all through.

6. How old are you?

Turning 34 soon.

7. Any experience programming prior to the game? Where did you learn.

Zero. Self taught. More info here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/414950/discussions/0/492379159716050661/

8. When you were kid, what was your dream job, some wants to be cops, some firefighter, what about you?

Gamedev. Really!

9. Tell us a bit about who you are, what you do for living, familly? If so anything funny happent during devlopement that your familly was part of?

I'm a research scientist by training. My specialty is genetics, molecular biology. I used to be a lab monkey at nice places, was paid well enough (which I saved). For the past nearly 3 years, it's been a journey to re-start a new career. With no pay. I have a wife and 2 kids (2 & 4), their pictures are here (https://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/about/)! Before i quit my old career, I gave myself 3 years to reach my goals of earning enough to pay the bills as a gamedev. So time is nearly up and this is it!

It's always fun since I code in the living room and take care of 2 kids. You can imagine 2 young kids running around playing, fighting, yelling, crying. Me half way in coding some complex feature, stopping to help them with the toilet, cook food, clean up...  oh yeah, it's fun & games!

10. What is your best game of all time and why ?

Two. 1) Final Fantasy 7, the epitome of jRPG with charming characters, depth, beautiful story and great gameplay mechanics. 2) Fallout 1/2, the epitome of cRPG for me because I like sci-fi more than fantasy (BG1/2, Torment are also great), and the option to play a low INT character and the hilarious outcome...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 10:52:56 am by jocan2003 »
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Halfgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »

@jocan2003
Thanks for helping me spread the word, really appreciate it.

I'll be dropping by so if there's any questions AMA. :)

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 05:15:25 pm »

Here is some short gameplay I found. Looks nice. I am worried a little that combat is not that good, or fleshed out, so it may get boring somewhat fast if its to simple, dont know, didnt played it just watched the gameplay and that is the impression i am getting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wNRpO25QM
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 06:25:01 pm by ragnar119 »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 05:28:55 pm »

Well ragnar you kinda forgot to include the link to the footage you saw haha.

Halfgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 05:35:57 pm »

Here is some short gameplay I found. Looks nice. I am worried a little that combat is not that good, or fleshed out, so it may get boring somewhat fast if its to simple, dont know, didnt played it just watched the gameplay and that is the impression i am getting.

Starting out is like that, solo, noobship, not many things.

You get a squad member soon, it picks up, then more squad members join. It becomes a real fleet battle.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2015, 06:22:51 pm »

This does look pretty cool.  As someone else said, it looks like it's got a bit of the old Escape Velocity vibe, and I loved those games (spent hours of my life on Nova).  Keeping an eye on this, may well get it after release if the general feeling is that it's good.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

ragnar119

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2015, 06:24:39 pm »

Well ragnar you kinda forgot to include the link to the footage you saw haha.

LOL, yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3wNRpO25QM

Halfgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2015, 06:44:35 pm »

Here's one a little bit further in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Rf6tm9-2s

Halfgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 04:49:50 am »

Mid-game, recruiting some squad members:

https://youtu.be/Iy_vssMA8qU?t=15m51s

Also showcases some tactical options (active pause) and drone carriers later.

All the major fleet stuff is towards end-game.

conciso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:02 am »

Well, it's out. Played for almost 10 hours and I think it's pretty good. So many ways to specialize your character, I'm going for a playthrough with drone-oriented ships, both me and my squadmates. Worlds feels alive and immersive, just like I thought it would; it's a bit grindy if you're like me and enjoy getting stronger and stronger, but the game lets you do almost anything you want. Want no squadmates? Done. Want to grind less and have it more difficult? Done. I love it, can't put it down.
Pages: [1] 2 3