Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If Toady surprised us with a major feature for the holidays it would be...  (Read 2988 times)

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile

I don't know why, but I have this sneaky, silently lurking hunch. And I can't shake it. I feel like I know Toady's going to spring new features on us.
So, for funsies, let's speculate on what new feature Toady would spring on us in this, the time of the Winter Solstice.

For me the choice is easy: festivals. It's a festive time, why not give us festivals? It'd be like the night creatures release but with good cheer. Festivals have already made their way into world gen so I sense there's some sort of groundwork. Festivals could be thrown in taverns or temples (or new "festival grounds" zones) in forts with nobility. I for one would like to see what the hell these whip throwing contests look like. Winners could have barrels of booze emptied onto them. Just imagine the bug fixes!

Code: [Select]
Fixed bug that made festival victors escalate combat to no quarter with no punishment.
Code: [Select]
Fixed bug that made festival zones accept refuse when not being used for festivals.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 04:50:42 pm by Ysyua »
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady surprised us with a major feature for the holidays it would be...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:43:36 pm »

fps

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 09:03:34 pm »

Performance increases are always number one, but other than that I am just really itching for a nice stable version of the new release with updated version of all the nifty tools, like PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, DFHack, etc. Really want to take another go at a long term fort. The quality of life additions DFHack adds I just don't like to play without, like the search boxes that let you type stuff in to filter a list, and the trading tool.. Beyond that I like an interesting embark that has a variety of metals and a decent cavern system. Only getting useful metals from trading gets old eventually, at least
for me.

Also.. Boogeyman? wtf!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:05:17 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 09:33:26 pm »

Performance increases are always number one, but other than that I am just really itching for a nice stable version of the new release with updated version of all the nifty tools, like PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack, DFHack, etc. Really want to take another go at a long term fort. The quality of life additions DFHack adds I just don't like to play without, like the search boxes that let you type stuff in to filter a list, and the trading tool.. Beyond that I like an interesting embark that has a variety of metals and a decent cavern system. Only getting useful metals from trading gets old eventually, at least
for me.

Also.. Boogeyman? wtf!
Well, I think that all goes without saying. But that would hardly be a surprise and it isn't from Toady! Community tools generally play catch up relatively quickly, no surprise there.
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 01:08:23 am »

Weredwarves
Such a horrible disease. Dwarf by day, a boozecraving hairy lunatic by night. Atleast during full moons.

Edit: Or a siege of midget elves wearing pointy green hats led by a dwarf in red.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:10:45 am by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 05:43:38 am »

It'd be like the night creatures release but with good cheer.
What happened with that? Sounds !!FUN!!
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 07:13:04 am »

It'd be like the night creatures release but with good cheer.
What happened with that? Sounds !!FUN!!
It was before my time, but Toady introduced night creatures around Halloween in 2010 (okay, like 10 days later, but still).

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 09:46:21 pm »

PTW.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:53 pm »

If anything definitely players participating in festivals, it looked like it wasn't far off and we have them in legends mode.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:06:53 am »

...it would be nothing.

Too little time for anything substantial.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 10:20:53 am »

...it would be nothing.

Too little time for anything substantial.
Bummer! Just a fun thought experiment—an exercise in hype. If your heart can't bear thinking about things that won't be, exit from where you came. There is no place for you here.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2015, 08:53:14 am »

Apparently the answer is 'giant elephants and hoary marmot people'. That'll do I suppose.
(Along with various other giant animals and animal people)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2015, 10:16:16 am »

And giant roaches.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2015, 11:59:46 am »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2015, 12:07:04 pm »

fps
This so much

Also, multitile creatures

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: [1] 2