Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stone beds  (Read 4105 times)

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stone beds
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

Well, if we can't get stone beds, how about Leather Pillows, Rope Reed Blankets and GCS Satin Bedspreads?   :D

[ May 24, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Stone beds would work fine, no mattress needed.

Most stones are quite soft and supple compared to a tough dwarven body. In fact, my top miner's beard alone is harder than his current wooden bed.

Were Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick stout Udib in the chest... several new elements would briefly come into existence in the resulting cataclysmic explosion of foot flesh, bone, and assorted beard crumbs.

Udib would shrug and continue drinking.

Elitay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

Judging by the functionality of artifact stone beds... a dwarf WILL sleep in a stone bed but only if it's REALLY pretty.   :)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Elitay:
<STRONG>Judging by the functionality of artifact stone beds... a dwarf WILL sleep in a stone bed but only if it's REALLY pretty.    :)</STRONG>

I'm sure they just do it to humor the artifact maker.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 08:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>

I'm sure they just do it to humor the artifact maker.</STRONG>

Dwarf looking for artifact bed maker: "Where's Urist?"
Dwarf forced to use stone bed: "Floating face down in a moat somewhere..."
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

I think the mattress is implied in any bed.  A wooden bed would be just as uncomfortable as a stone bed.    :p  I'm pretty sure when you build a bed in this game, you are actually just building the frame.

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

I think stone beds would work, though it would be nice if you could add blankets and the like. The way i have thought of wood beds is that the dwarves use the wood and branches to build the frame, then use the bark in strips and weaving them to create a sort of hammock or something though i guess this would only work with certain trees like willow .They could even use the leaves as pillows, remember dwarves are hard :P.
EE
E@E
EEE

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

I've always thought the bed thing a pretty artificial way to force dwarves to use wood. I prefer the machinery using wood - that makes more sense, as a stone waterwheel ain't gonna turn too easily. I like the idea of having cloth mattresses to improve beds and give the sleeper a happier thought! otherwise I've always thought beds should be makable out of any material.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

like:
Urist was ecstatic recently. He lost a friend recently. He admired a fine crafted dwarf-bone bed recently. He sleep in a legendary bedroom recently.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: Mohreb el Yasim ]

Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 07:07:00 am »

There's always the idea of making fine beds (as opposed to common beds as I assume are made now) with plush, luxurious mattresses. Something to make the nobles feel important.

Of course the first time they slept in it they'd cover the sheets in the blood and vomit that they've been coated in for the past 35 years. Dwarves only make soap as a trade good, indeed.

[ May 26, 2008: Message edited by: MuonDecay ]

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

I do believe trees should remain required for beds, because the relative scarcity of trees has an impact on difficulty level in this manner. However I do not like being ONLY able to make wooden brown beds. I want to be able to make beds out of many materials and have them be many colors.

Log + Material + (Dwarf with Materialworking) + (Materialworking Shop) = Material Bed.

It sure beats adding a smelter reaction to pop out no-quality steel beds, or editing dogs to drop masterwork steel beds by unknown artists when impaled on spikes.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2008, 01:50:00 pm »

I think you should be able to make beds out of stone (or metal) but like has already been suggested, some sort of cloth should be required too. It should be required for regular wood beds too, IMO.

There really needs to be more uses for cloth and leather anyway, the only things you ever really need to make are bags.

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Solara ]

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 02:03:00 pm »

I feel deeply flattered by the nickname the OP has chosen

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Krash ]

MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2008, 11:42:00 pm »

Saguaro beds.  Only the toughest dwarves need to apply.

Actually, speaking of using stone for beds, what about orthopedic gravel?  Armok help them if my dwarves start doing that, though; the only rock I've got is obsidian.

"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 01:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by NikkTheTrick:
<STRONG>
Which is precisely why beds should be limited to wood or at least alternative should be a big pain in the ass to make (stone bed + matress which is really hard to make).</STRONG>

Why do we make chairs/tables of stone then? Which give almost same happy thoughts? I see no reason in this.
And I don't think that the wood is much harder to get than stone.
Very often if you embark in 3-level aquifier forest it's much easier to make a ton of beds than a single forge.

[ June 07, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2] 3